Carnival Sensation being scrapped

shof515

Nobody cares and it's off topic but I have one of the original nightstands from Disney's Contemporary Resort. I bought it for cheap when I was a Cast Member. We had a special store, I think it was called Property Control or something (it was a long time ago). It has the original asset tag on its underside. It's only in fair condition but they had holes in them for the lamps and the cords which can't be helped. 

So yes, I get this desire to own a bit of history. 

Also, kinda hoping to get it appraised on Antiques Roadshow someday when I am ancient and run out of retirement money and find out it will bring just enough to pay the last few years of daily expenses. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, missholly24 said:

Am I the only weirdo that would LOVE to buy some of the scrap metal from the hull?? 4 times on Sensation and all kinds of sentimental value. My first cruise ever. Always my date vacation with husband. ❤️

Not weird at all, on Facebook? There’s a few groups dedicated to scrapping ships. Kinda fascinating if you ask me.

I have two pieces from Carnival Fantasy and one from Carnival Inspiration, as well as other ships. 

2 hours ago, CruiseAdict218 said:

Not weird at all, on Facebook? There’s a few groups dedicated to scrapping ships. Kinda fascinating if you ask me.

I have two pieces from Carnival Fantasy and one from Carnival Inspiration, as well as other ships. 

Oh wow how did you get those? 

1 hour ago, missholly24 said:

Oh wow how did you get those? 

Facebook group I was in, had put up a post about a woman who had a contact that could get her various items from the scrap yard in Aliaga. It was a gamble but it paid off, it certainly wasn’t cheap by any means. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ChrisCJR said:

Funny question, is it possible that Tradwinds got the news of the sale wrong?  It's been half a month and the Sensation is still being operated by Carnival transporting between Freeport and Miami.

most likely carnival is still working offload any equipment and supplies before the vessel transfer ownership. last week or so the Dream was in freeport and now the Paradise is in freeport too. make sense to do any last minute transfers now

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shof515 said:

most likely carnival is still working offload any equipment and supplies before the vessel transfer ownership. last week or so the Dream was in freeport and now the Paradise is in freeport too. make sense to do any last minute transfers now

Very possible, I want to say Ecstasy was also Freeport recently, right before moving to Mobile. 

I believe Sensation has been the quarantine ship - it could still be moving crew around.  It has moved to Miami a few times too.  It goes from Miami, floats off Freeport for a few days, docks at Freeport and returns to Miami before repeating.  That's my observation, at least.

It seems possible to me that Carnival could have possibly not closed a deal yet.  I don't remember Fantasy and Inspiration taking all that long in Curacao before moving to Aliaga.  They just put the stuff in storage and sent them on their way. 

That said, this is very different from those situations.  Aliaga probably is in no rush for another ship.  The last I saw, one of the Fantasy class ships from 2020 (Imagination, I believe) still has yet to be broken down/scrapped.  This leads me to believe another company could still swoop in and save Carnival Sensation, especially with it hanging out so much around Freeport.

On 3/5/2022 at 7:04 PM, CruiseAdict218 said:

Facebook group I was in, had put up a post about a woman who had a contact that could get her various items from the scrap yard in Aliaga. It was a gamble but it paid off, it certainly wasn’t cheap by any means. 

I don't FB but if anyone hears about this stuff for some of the ships I would love to get something off the ship. Like I said earlier would be really cool to put in our basement as a token.

• 2 weeks later...

Sensation is in Miami today, so if anyone's around, swing by and grab yourself a photo.  It could very well be your last chance.  If anyone's on Conquest today, the Sensation will docked right next to it.

It looks scheduled to leave around 6pm and might be heading to Aliaga.  I as heard it's supposed to arrive there on 4/4.

EDIT: Checked Marine Traffic and it is scheduled to head straight there from Miami, arriving April 4th.

Edited by ChrisCJR
  • Like 1

I have been watching update videos from the scrap yards.

Fantasy - completely scrapped (for a while now)

Fascination - already started taking some off the bow

Inspiration - completely scrapped

Imagination - untouched, nothing scrapped at all

All the ships in aliaga have been scrapped expect Imagination. Nothing has been done to it except the scrape from hitting Fantasy in September 2020. Now when Sensation comes there will be 2 fantasy class ships that will both be scrapped at around the same time, but the arrivals were 1 1/2 years apart.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TheMettins said:

We were married onboard in 2015 so she holds a special place in our hearts!  We never cared to sail her again, but it's sad to see her go.Screenshot_20220204-130259_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1a130f163e19281c2650bda252992c1d.jpg

Nice!

We had our 25th anniversary vow renewal onboard

1 hour ago, CarnivalShips480 said:

I have been watching update videos from the scrap yards.

Fantasy - completely scrapped (for a while now)

Fascination - already started taking some off the bow

Inspiration - completely scrapped

Imagination - untouched, nothing scrapped at all

All the ships in aliaga have been scrapped expect Imagination. Nothing has been done to it except the scrape from hitting Fantasy in September 2020. Now when Sensation comes there will be 2 fantasy class ships that will both be scrapped at around the same time, but the arrivals were 1 1/2 years apart.

It's never a pretty sight............

189285856_2695412004083146_635056732475832567_n.jpg

139763212_412173270097061_7687690772056584484_o.jpg

140056452_1389893504683293_7908377509411374488_n.jpg

• Like 1

Something I noticed about Carnival Sensation is that she was already very stripped down.  It may have just been the camera, but the flooring on the upper decks looked black and we could not identify the mini-golf area, it looked like it was already removed.  It seems they have long prepared for this time. 

Speaking of which, she's probably about to exit The Bahamas.   She was over by Norwegian Pearl, Scarlet Lady, Wonder of the Seas, and Celebrity Silhouette, north of Eleuthera, about 5 and a half hours ago.

10 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

my first few cruises: tropicale SCRAPPED, jubille a few times SCRAPPED, ecstasy SCRAPPED, sensation SCRAPPED! I'm a bad omen! 😉

keep an eye on Spirit, Panorama, Valor, and Splendor, lol!

I highly doubt that the Panorama is even being remotely considered for the scrap yard as it was built in 2019. :classic_ohmy:

8 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

I highly doubt that the Panorama is even being remotely considered for the scrap yard as it was built in 2019. :classic_ohmy:

yup, just saying, down the road. she's a beauty! I'm bad karma, lol/jk!

Edited by klfhngr