Carnival Sensation being scrapped

shof515

23 hours ago, bstel said:

Little is a problem, but the ships lifeboats up high prevents having balconies, hence whey the balconies that were added are built around the lifeboats.  If you compare the Fantasy to Spirit class is it odd that the tonnage went up on the Spirit but the passenger count didn't go up.  Spirit class has a ton of balconies though

Fantasy Class, 70K tonnes, and 1000-1100 rooms

Spirit Class, 85K tonnes, 1062 rooms.

This high space ratio on the Spirit will be their downfall unless Carnival figures out a way to stuff more rooms on those ships. since these ships breakeven points are way higher than the mega ships.

And once the Spirit and Fantasy class goes, say bye bye to Baltimore and Jacksonville.

I wasn't discussing Carnival per se, or other mass market cruise lines.  Little is a problem (meaning uneconomic) for all of them.  But there is a clear 'little ship' market as evidenced by successful lines like Windstar and Viking, albeit at a very different price point.  You are correct in that the big guys are all moving quickly toward mega ships with a low breakeven point. I understand it even if I don't particularly like it.  So very glad we have something like 30 days on Pride in Europe the next couple years.

6 minutes ago, longhorn2004 said:

When this class of ship goes, what will sail the Miami-Bahamas $199 route?

I really think Carnival plans for Sunshine and Conquest class boats to do that work from the major ports.  I really like Sunrise. She's got lots of the features we really like and does basic 4/5 nighters really well.  We just spent 14 days on her only repeating one port (Nassau).  And Carnival practically paid us to be onboard.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 11:37 AM, bstel said:

Little is a problem, but the ships lifeboats up high prevents having balconies, hence whey the balconies that were added are built around the lifeboats.  If you compare the Fantasy to Spirit class is it odd that the tonnage went up on the Spirit but the passenger count didn't go up.  Spirit class has a ton of balconies though

Fantasy Class, 70K tonnes, and 1000-1100 rooms

Spirit Class, 85K tonnes, 1062 rooms.

This high space ratio on the Spirit will be their downfall unless Carnival figures out a way to stuff more rooms on those ships. since these ships breakeven points are way higher than the mega ships.

And once the Spirit and Fantasy class goes, say bye bye to Baltimore and Jacksonville.

I wonder if they might look at a Sunshine type major redo of the Spirit Class after the last Excel ship comes into the fleet. They have the balconies and if they upgrade the decor and use of public space they might be able to serve Baltimore and Jacksonville for another couple of decades.

On 2/18/2022 at 11:49 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Ah - I found my old (nearly 16 years ago) photo of the lamps along with their current resting place 🙂

i-6Rvf8ZH-X2.jpg

i-wN8TspB-L.jpg

i-5VgpC6Q-XL.jpg

We have museum wax underneath them now, as cats can't be trusted !!  🙂

Tom

Had three cats and three dogs about ten years ago.  We are now down to one dog but my daughter added five ferrets.  I will gladly throw in the bonus of 2 if you want to trade cats for ferrets.

The destruction!!!  😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, longhorn2004 said:

Well I hope Carnival has some future plans for smaller ships, no way they let the MIA-NAS type markets go away. It's many people's gateway into cruising. Will be interesting to see how they address it,

They'll continue to use the Conquest class ships for these itineraries as new ships join the fleet. 

The bigger concern is TPA, JAX, and BAL, as well as MOB. 

8 hours ago, brilliantseas said:

They'll continue to use the Conquest class ships for these itineraries as new ships join the fleet. 

The bigger concern is TPA, JAX, and BAL, as well as MOB. 

Four ports, four Spirit class ships. Plus Elation and Paradise still around for . . . a while? They had the most substantial upgrades, newest of the Fantasy class, most efficient propulsion systems.

So six ships to serve those 4 ports.  Seems like demand from those smaller homeports is only just equal to that capacity so no major concerns.  The bigger issue could be guest expectations - poor old Fantasy class with its "rust bucket" reputation from a certain segment of the cruise passenger market could move along to Spirit class when they become the "oldest, smallest" ships in the fleet.   

How much money will go into renovations over the next few years for the last 2 Fantasy ships and Spirit class? We were just on Legend and while we had a great time and a wonderful cruise, the ship looks and feels older than twenty years to me, doesn't feel like the sleek newbuilds taking over. 

There are features and areas that are great such as the Deck 1 lounge, the Enchanted Forest interior promenade, single MDR to avoid the chopped up access to Decks 2 and 3, very few interior cabins and many others.  I am interested to see how Spirit class does in those smaller ports.

On 2/17/2022 at 6:44 PM, Z0nker said:

In particular, I think it's the lack of balcony cabins on the Fantasy Class that led to their demise.

It was definitely a big piece. When you think of the whole economics of everything, it's pretty crazy. A few design changes on a ship can allow you to put a little private area for people to sit, and they will spend hundreds or thousands more for it. These ships just weren't bringing in high fares anymore, and didn't have many upsell options. Amongst other efficiencies. 2 ships of 2000 passengers each has a different cost structure than 1 ship of 4000 passengers.  

They had their place in time. I will surely look back and remember the good times on the fantasy class once they are fully a distant memory. They had their advantages. I will admit, the Mardi Gras just offers a better vacation, to me.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, F27TW said:

Sorry, but it's about time.   Carnival is better than these old party barges now.   These Farcus-era tacky, ugly ships need to go.    Those balcony sections they glued onto these ships just made them that much more hideous.

Carnival has better now.  Fantasy class .. bye byeeee.

HA! I call 'em glued on too!

• Like 1

On 2/17/2022 at 7:02 PM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

. . . When they remodeled the Owner's Suites we were lucky enough to obtain two of the Murano glass lamps out of S1. So, we'll always have a little bit of the Sensation. 🙂

How have I never heard this story??  😮

Very cool, my friends !!!

😊

• Like 1

When I first sailed that class ship over 15 years ago, the Fantasy class was OLD THEN.  

I booked mainly Conquest class ships, then liked the Dream class when they came out.

Now we just sailed the MG, which IMO, is the best ship Carnival ever put in the water.  Maybe Celebration will take its place.  But the old, worn Farkus nightmare ships are long forgotten,  One man sails what another man sinks, eh?

JMO, YMMV.

On 2/19/2022 at 5:29 PM, longhorn2004 said:

When this class of ship goes, what will sail the Miami-Bahamas $199 route?

This class of ship is already gone from Miami and the answer is Sunrise and/or Conquest. Fantasy class's future is in smaller ports that don't justify (or can't accommodate) a larger vessel, like Mobile and Jacksonville I think.

The Conquest and Sunshine classes are doing a great job of competing against RCL/NCL amenities while still offering Carnival prices in Miami, Canaveral, New Orleans, etc.

Guest BasicSailor
43 minutes ago, evandbob said:

When I first sailed that class ship over 15 years ago, the Fantasy class was OLD THEN.  

I booked mainly Conquest class ships, then liked the Dream class when they came out.

Now we just sailed the MG, which IMO, is the best ship Carnival ever put in the water.  Maybe Celebration will take its place.  But the old, worn Farkus nightmare ships are long forgotten,  One man sails what another man sinks, eh?

JMO, YMMV.

I can't dispute the age factor and agree with you, its time. Also enjoy the Dream class as well still have the book left in our cabin from her first sailing. Farkus in its Era was indeed a strange cookie, as I watched many cruisers looking at the decor with frowns on their faces. Rip had fun, so long .

MG being the big gal on the block has quite a few reviews, just leaves me curious as some of the things in the reviews are just not to my liking.  We will cruise MG someday, just not into any rush.

Edited by BasicSailor

A shame its being scrapped. Nothing official on the Ecstasy. Maybe Carnival will change it's mind? Have it go into drydock and then return to Mobile? The Paradise & Elation are 24 years old. Thining Carnival holds on to them for another 4-5 years just to stay in Mobile/Tampa/Jacksonville.

On 2/20/2022 at 10:07 AM, Joebucks said:

They had their place in time. I will surely look back and remember the good times on the fantasy class once they are fully a distant memory. They had their advantages. I will admit, the Mardi Gras just offers a better vacation, to me.

I like this view a lot more than the "rust buckets" view that gets tossed around a lot here.

These ships, along with the RCL ships of that same day offered early mass market cruising that was affordable and available to most people, a significant change in market and opportunity for the day.

While the Farkus design certainly isn't aging well, at the time it would have been a massive statement about the "Funship" experience that differed so much from the stuffy atmosphere that other lines provided.  It's like they felt it was necessary to remind everyone at every turn that Carnival was more like a visit to Vegas than a visit to the old, dark ocean liners that were being phased out at the time.

As the world has become less "suit and tie" and the resort style atmosphere overtakes modern cruising (not complaining, we found that the Horizon was gorgeous when we sailed her for the first time), these old ships don't offer the new, exciting experience they once did.

However, they still have an interesting and honorable place in time for the cruise ship market and even while I think ahead to booking the new Mardi Gras, I'll  be sure to sail a Fantasy class ship one last time, just to enjoy it for what it offered, and what it was, before they all end up on a beach somewhere, never to sail again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, evandbob said:

JMO, YMMV.

The Conquest class, while more modern in terms of decor, still feel like an inferior cruise experience to me. They benefit from the availability of balconies, but I'd rather have a Fantasy class for a day at sea, any day. 

• Like 2

On 2/18/2022 at 12:15 AM, jsglow said:

Little isn't the problem.  It's the lack of balcs/features on a 'mass market' cruise ship.  There are plenty of very small ships catering to a different market and at a different price point.

Probably should have said 'Old/Outdated/Obsolete' instead of small. But any small ship still connected to a mass market line checks all those boxes---it's not going to be Galapagos/Antarctica/amazon option...  

On 2/18/2022 at 11:49 AM, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Ah - I found my old (nearly 16 years ago) photo of the lamps along with their current resting place 🙂

i-6Rvf8ZH-X2.jpg

i-wN8TspB-L.jpg

i-5VgpC6Q-XL.jpg

We have museum wax underneath them now, as cats can't be trusted !!  🙂

Tom

Wow, that's great Tom! It is good to know that a small part of her will live on somewhere. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 8:02 PM, Indytraveler83 said:

I like this view a lot more than the "rust buckets" view that gets tossed around a lot here.

These ships, along with the RCL ships of that same day offered early mass market cruising that was affordable and available to most people, a significant change in market and opportunity for the day.

While the Farkus design certainly isn't aging well, at the time it would have been a massive statement about the "Funship" experience that differed so much from the stuffy atmosphere that other lines provided.  It's like they felt it was necessary to remind everyone at every turn that Carnival was more like a visit to Vegas than a visit to the old, dark ocean liners that were being phased out at the time.

As the world has become less "suit and tie" and the resort style atmosphere overtakes modern cruising (not complaining, we found that the Horizon was gorgeous when we sailed her for the first time), these old ships don't offer the new, exciting experience they once did.

However, they still have an interesting and honorable place in time for the cruise ship market and even while I think ahead to booking the new Mardi Gras, I'll  be sure to sail a Fantasy class ship one last time, just to enjoy it for what it offered, and what it was, before they all end up on a beach somewhere, never to sail again.

Very well said! I was happy to get a cruise on Elation back in December, I was really worried they might all get scrapped during the pandemic and I'd never get another chance. Next up will be Paradise in May, I'll just have to enjoy them as much as I can in the time they have left. 

• Like 1

The first Carnival ship (or cruise for that matter) I was ever on was the Sensation in 1996, my parents had booked a cruise and ended up not being able to go so they gave it to myself and my friend instead of losing it. I can tell you from the moment him and I walked on that ship we were hooked.

We ended up getting back home and talked about how great of a time we had and I saw there was a new ship coming out that year. So we decided to go on another cruise, we ended up on the second sailing of the Destiny.

The look of the older ships and all the things to do had me hooked from that initial moment forward, when my wife and I went on our first cruise (before we had even married) she was hooked, we took our daughter when she was younger and she is now hooked.

It all started with something that's now going to the scrap yard to end up a tin can or something. Nostalgia makes me sad, we had talked about going on Sensation again but now it won't happen.

We are going on Mardis Gras in June and introducing my cousin and his family to cruising also and I have a feeling they will be hooked. March 2019 we took our best friends on their first cruise on Breeze and now they ask us when are we doing an adults only cruise again.

I wish there was room for all these ships to keep sailing but the business person in me knows that with what they cost to build, operate and maintain filling a ship with $100 fairs doesn't likely cut in but having 5000 full prices fairs onboard at once pays off that massive investment faster.

I do wish they would auction off some stuff from these ships though as I would certainly buy some some things to make me think back to those days. I would LOVE to have something off Sensation to remind me of the first cruise I took and where it's lead me since.

• Like 3

We had done a few cruises but had moved off to Disney and Orlando.  Owners suite on the Sensation is what got us back into cruising with a gusto.  Won the OS in a charity auction for our kids school.  Tampa Port Authority President had gotten Carnival to donate.  No pictures so nobody knew what was included.  Only OS that we have ever had!  Don't remember Tom's lamps, but do remember that Chandelier over the dining room table was circled with packing tape to keep it from tinkling.  Also remember that we have stayed in cabins smaller than the walk in closet.  Hand Piano Bar chairs are still one of my favorites.

Don