capacity

Electra 7

32 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

It's a legitimate question. Recently they have been sailing with a max capacity or approximately 60%.

I don't know what it will be in April.

When you say max though is that a legal limit, a self imposed limit, of limited people choosing to sail?

Edited by jimbo1683

The current QE cruise to Lisbon and Vigo is sailing at ≈66% capacity.

The current QM2 westbound crossing to New York is sailing at ≈55% capacity.

Those figures are based on passenger counts reported to Southampton VTS at departure.

I'm not aware of current capacity limits other than whatever capacity Cunard sets aside to handle onboard quarantine should that be needed.

I read reports that Spain had placed capacity limits of 70% - 75% on cruise ships calling there when cruising resumed last year. Don't know if those restrictions are still in place for Spain.

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Those figures are based on passenger counts reported to Southampton VTS at departure.

I'm not aware of current capacity limits other than whatever capacity Cunard sets aside to handle onboard quarantine should that be needed.

I read reports that Spain had placed capacity limits of 70% - 75% on cruise ships calling there when cruising resumed last year. Don't know if those restrictions are still in place for Spain.

t

Bluemarble thanks you sure do know everything 

1 hour ago, P2l said:

Out of interest, where are the passenger numbers on the Southampton VTS web site @bluemarble? I looked and couldn’t find them. 

The passenger numbers aren't posted anywhere on the Southampton VTS site that I know of. I get them by listening to the VTS radio feed which is available to me for being a Patreon contributor to the Solent Ships/Ahoy Shipmate YouTube channels where I watch the ships depart Southampton on the streams provided there. The blue spanners on those channels often post the counts in the chat for those streams when they announce the ship departures which is available for all to view for a short time until they scroll off the chat.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2022 at 6:57 AM, bluemarble said:

The passenger numbers aren't posted anywhere on the Southampton VTS site that I know of. I get them by listening to the VTS radio feed which is available to me for being a Patreon contributor to the Solent Ships/Ahoy Shipmate YouTube channels where I watch the ships depart Southampton on the streams provided there. The blue spanners on those channels often post the counts in the chat for those streams when they announce the ship departures which is available for all to view for a short time until they scroll off the chat.

lol....thanks Bluemarble, you made me laugh...its sounds like you lead the life I aspire too if I was lucky enough to live by the Solent. I too would spend my days on the binoculars and with the VTS radio at full blast....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/14/2022 at 11:52 AM, P2l said:

@bluemarble If you have the opportunity to check the numbers on tomorrow's QM2 departure, I'd be very much interested to know them. Thanks in advance.

QM2 just reported 1772 passengers and 1208 crew for her departure to Hamburg this evening. I figure that's ≈66% of her 2695 passenger capacity.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

QM2 just reported 1772 passengers and 1208 crew for her departure to Hamburg this evening. I figure that's ≈66% of her 2695 passenger capacity.

5 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

I was just thinking you know everything then I saw your posting 😃

I am sailing on April 14 out of Fort Lauderdale on QM2.  In the last few days they have opened up more available cabins (previously all categories were booked except Sheltered balconies). Suddenly every category is available which leads me to believe they were holding back cabins that have been released. They are obviously increasing capacity. That makes sense since the US and UK governments are dropping Covid protocols due to cases and hospitalizations plummeting. 

Edited by saratogadave

7 hours ago, saratogadave said:

I am sailing on April 14 out of Fort Lauderdale on QM2.  In the last few days they have opened up more available cabins (previously all categories were booked except Sheltered balconies). Suddenly every category is available which leads me to believe they were holding back cabins that have been released. They are obviously increasing capacity. That makes sense since the US and UK governments are dropping Covid protocols due to cases and hospitalizations plummeting. 

Cases are increasing in UK as are hospital admissions

1 hour ago, sogne said:

Cases are increasing in UK as are hospital admissions

Yes and my niece staff nurse has 8 on her ward all unvacccinated go figure. Imo this wont affect the recent relaxing of travel rules as the C word is now considered another flu.  Though the cruise lines will continue to monitor the situation they need to increase capacity to get back some of the revenue they've lost over the last 2yrs. 

7 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I think we have a pattern with the passenger capacities on recent Cunard voyages. QE's cruise to Norway and the Northern Lights is now underway this evening also at ≈66% capacity.

Can you let us know how many passengers will be on QM2 when it sails from Southampton on March 20 to New York.

We will be boarding on March 27, would it be possible for you to post how many will be sailing on QM2 on March 27? I am curious, since the last two QM2 cruises we were on were no where near capacity, I think there were only around 1400 passengers on the Feb 22 Caribbean cruise

55 minutes ago, Queen of the Queen said:

Can you let us know how many passengers will be on QM2 when it sails from Southampton on March 20 to New York.

We will be boarding on March 27, would it be possible for you to post how many will be sailing on QM2 on March 27? I am curious, since the last two QM2 cruises we were on were no where near capacity, I think there were only around 1400 passengers on the Feb 22 Caribbean cruise

I should be able to get you the passenger count for QM2's departure from Southampton on March 20. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my source for that information is a Southampton VTS radio feed where ships report their passenger and crew counts at departure from Southampton.

I don't know of a source for passenger counts for sailings from New York. The "nyharborwebcam" site does include a vessel traffic radio feed for New York but I haven't heard ships report their passenger counts on that feed. Either I haven't been listening close enough or ships don't report their counts that way for New York departures.

Edit to add: The counts I have recorded for QM2's Feb 15 departure from Southampton to New York were 1473 passengers and 1232 crew.

Edited by bluemarble

17 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I should be able to get you the passenger count for QM2's departure from Southampton on March 20. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my source for that information is a Southampton VTS radio feed where ships report their passenger and crew counts at departure from Southampton.

I don't know of a source for passenger counts for sailings from New York. The "nyharborwebcam" site does include a vessel traffic radio feed for New York but I haven't heard ships report their passenger counts on that feed. Either I haven't been listening close enough or ships don't report their counts that way for New York departures.

Edit to add: The counts I have recorded for QM2's Feb 15 departure from Southampton to New York were 1473 passengers and 1232 crew.

Thanks for the information here folks!

Cheers

On 3/18/2022 at 10:02 PM, Queen of the Queen said:

QM2 just called in to Southampton VTS reporting 1477 passengers and 1200 crew on board for her departure to New York today. I figure that's ≈55% of her passenger capacity for this departure.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bluemarble said:

QM2 just called in to Southampton VTS reporting 1477 passengers and 1200 crew on board for her departure to New York today. I figure that's ≈55% of her passenger capacity for this departure.

thank you for this information. I asked the question again on an earlier post this morning, sorry

When on board they do not answer when we ask how many passengers. I am curious what the count will be on Sunday and then again at Ft. Lauderdale. I guess I will never know. 

thanks for the count for the past cruise. We will miss QM2 out of New York, so frequently,  after this cruise, it is so convenient for us, thus, three cruises on her since Dec. 22

Lorraine

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

QE has called in that she has 1396 passengers and 894 crew on board for her departure this afternoon to Amsterdam. That works out to ≈67% of her passenger capacity for this departure.

The crew number seems significantly lower than previously.