Useful hint for the stateroom coffeemakers

longterm

Having been a Nespresso user for almost 20 years, I was really happy to see that the machines in the staterooms are the very same mini Nespresso machines that I own and take on trips when I travel in the US.

They're set to dispense full cups of coffee as opposed to espresso-sized pours, but it's really simple to reset that:

Once the machine is heated and ready to use, simply push AND HOLD DOWN one of the two buttons; when your cup is at the level you prefer, let go of the button. That sets the machine to pour that amount of coffee each time. Very useful!

Also, if you prefer a weaker or stronger coffee blend, head to Nespresso's site (www.nespresso.com) and order some boxes of original coffee pods; I always bring my favorites with me (Roma) when I get on a Viking ship.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, takemewithyou said:

Which type of Nespresso pods does this machine use if one wanted to bring along some of their own?

Edited to add:  I know nothing about these machines and want to purchase the right product.

The original pods are the ones that these machines use (see photo); I *think* they provide the Ristretto pods, which are pretty strong. My favorite, after almost 20 years using Nespresso machines, is Roma, which is a strength of about 7 on a scale from 1 to 10.

You can also buy lots of different flavored coffee pods there, which are nice. They're sold in boxes of 10, around $7.90 per box on average, but remember, Viking gives them to you. I always specify that I want just regular coffee and not decaf, which they put in the stateroom by default, in addition to regular caffeinated.

Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 7.02.39 PM.png

• Thanks 1

However, I have been told by Viking personnel at tellus@... that the coffee makers on the Expedition ships are the professional model, Nespresso Zenius. Those pods are different so make sure which model of machine your ship will have by contacting tellus@vikingcruises.com.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, longterm said:

The original pods are the ones that these machines use (see photo); I *think* they provide the Ristretto pods, which are pretty strong. My favorite, after almost 20 years using Nespresso machines, is Roma, which is a strength of about 7 on a scale from 1 to 10.

You can also buy lots of different flavored coffee pods there, which are nice. They're sold in boxes of 10, around $7.90 per box on average, but remember, Viking gives them to you. I always specify that I want just regular coffee and not decaf, which they put in the stateroom by default, in addition to regular caffeinated.

Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 7.02.39 PM.png

I am considering bringing some of my own because I like mild coffee and flavored coffee.

Our experience was that the decaf pods are #10 but the regular caf coffee was just a very week #4.  As such we bring our own sleeves of 10, 11, or 12 strength!

on our December cruise they provide regular caf #6, but still rather weak for us.

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Our experience was that the decaf pods are #10 but the regular caf coffee was just a very week #4.  As such we bring our own sleeves of 10, 11, or 12 strength!

on our December cruise they provide regular caf #6, but still rather weak for us.

It’s because they set those machines to dispense too much water. 

8 minutes ago, The Other Tom said:

I suppose it depends on where you travel, but I've found Nespresso pods to be cheaper in Europe than in the US

They've certainly raised prices over the years; when I started drinking Nespresso they were 49 cents per pod, now they're around 80. it was gratifying to see the machines all over Paris and elsewhere; great machines.

51 minutes ago, The Other Tom said:

I suppose it depends on where you travel, but I've found Nespresso pods to be cheaper in Europe than in the US

They were literally half the price in Amsterdam Nespresso store than in California just a couple years ago.  Certainly both have gone up now.  Plus Amsterdam had some unique pods that US didn’t have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crimmj said:

What about cream for the coffee? Anything provided in the cabin? We use half and half at home. 

They provide some creamers on the shelf with the coffee. I’ve asked for an received real cream (came in a little pitcher) which I kept in the fridge drawer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Other Tom said:

I’ll have to check in Canada next time I’m on that side of the border.  Locally, I didn’t have many options so went online.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mich3554 said:

I’ll have to check in Canada next time I’m on that side of the border.  Locally, I didn’t have many options so went online.  

Next time you're coming North, if you have time, sent us a note and hopefully meet for a quick lunch or tea/coffee, before the World Cruise.

Sorry, can't help with the pods, as we only drink tea.

2 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Next time you're coming North, if you have time, sent us a note and hopefully meet for a quick lunch or tea/coffee, before the World Cruise.

And then there's the beer....🍺

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Will do….we have been doing pretty good about getting in 2 border crossings for each covid test.  My MIL made some noises about wanting to go for dim sum soon, so maybe the following day.  I’ll let you know.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/16/2022 at 8:38 PM, longterm said:

It’s because they set those machines to dispense too much water. 

And if you read the manual posted above (in post #8), it tells you how to adjust the amount of water used for each cup.  Start with the factory default, then go from there.

Edited by FlyerTalker

6 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

The Living Room Bar. Deck 1 midship. 

Anyone known if it’s the same on the expedition ships?  The deck plan for Octantis shows the living room and bar on deck 5.  Is that where we’d look for  ‘fancy’ coffee?