Covid Cruise Insurance

Hi fellow cruisers, have just booked our second ever (first post Covid,) cruise. 

We are from Australia, cruising Alaska and wondering what other Aussies are doing with regard to travel insurance that DOES include Covid on cruises?

Thank you in advance :)

I will be using the 'free' travel insurance attached to my ANZ Visa credit card. From reading the terms and conditions, it covers COVID related expenses.

You don't mention what date your cruise is. Even if COVID isn't covered at the moment, I believe this will change and it will be more likely to be covered as time goes by.

15 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I will be using the 'free' travel insurance attached to my ANZ Visa credit card. From reading the terms and conditions, it covers COVID related expenses.

You don't mention what date your cruise is. Even if COVID isn't covered at the moment, I believe this will change and it will be more likely to be covered as time goes by.

ANZ knocked me back on the free CC insurance because of existing conditions. They changed from QBE to Allianz.   QBE covered me with ANZ card for some years, but once they moved to Allianz I got refused even when I offered to pay some $ supplement as well.  Don't think I will be doing any more overseas travel anyway.😢

Edited by NSWP

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

ANZ knocked me back on the free CC insurance because of existing conditions. They changed from QBE to Allianz.   QBE covered me with ANZ card for some years, but once they moved to Allianz I got refused even when I offered to pay some $ supplement as well.  Don't think I will be doing any more overseas travel anyway.😢

The older one gets the more likely one would have existing conditions.  I was told by my current Travel Insurance Company they will be covering Covid shortly, but only to age 75.  

I had no claims from my previous Travel Insurance Company, but they wouldn't issue a policy on my last booked Australia cruise.  I learnt later it was because the cruise was in more than 4 months' time.  I rarely book that far ahead but this cruise is always heavily booked.  I cancelled the cruise.

24 minutes ago, NSWP said:

😢

9 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

The older one gets the more likely one would have existing conditions.  I was told by my current Travel Insurance Company they will be covering Covid shortly, but only to age 75.  

I had no claims from my previous Travel Insurance Company, but they wouldn't issue a policy on my last booked Australia cruise.  I learnt later it was because the cruise was in more than 4 months' time.  I rarely book that far ahead but this cruise is always heavily booked.  I cancelled the cruise.

Only allowing you to buy travel insurance for cruises within 4 months of the departure date is just silly. They should at least give cover for 6 months as that is when most cruise lines' cancellation penalties kick in.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Only allowing you to buy travel insurance for cruises within 4 months of the departure date is just silly. They should at least give cover for 6 months as that is when most cruise lines' cancellation penalties kick in.

I was shocked, so I phoned them and asked why.  I couldn't understand why when I had insured with them for years and hadn't made a claim.  

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

As mentioned earlier (posts #2 and #3 above), ANZ Visa insurance uses Allianz and they cover COVID.

Not all ANZ Visa cards cover covid only the premium eg.black and even then you need to use a fine tooth comb, following  from the PDF

Or if, a government closes its borders to inbound travellers due to COVID-19 and you are unable to enter and follow your planned travel across the closed border, cover may be excluded.

Cheers Carole

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elorac123 said:

Not all ANZ Visa cards cover covid only the premium eg.black and even then you need to use a fine tooth comb, following  from the PDF

Or if, a government closes its borders to inbound travellers due to COVID-19 and you are unable to enter and follow your planned travel across the closed border, cover may be excluded.

Cheers Carole

I have a platinum Visa card with ANZ. The PDF showed that it covers COVID-related events.

The Visa card travel insurance is underwritten by Allianz so, it would reasonably follow that other travel insurance bought from Alllianz would also cover COVID.

Edited by Aus Traveller

MSC insist on cruise and covid cover - they gave me two options for insurance - so the policies are out there but they are very expensive compared to UK policies - Uk can get cover for under $100 we are looking at paying $700 for our european cruise.  The two companies who offered to cover MSC guests are GO Insurance Elite, and Alliance Comprehensive +Cruise Extra

24 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I have a platinum Visa card with ANZ. The PDF showed that it covers COVID-related events.

The Visa card travel insurance is underwritten by Allianz so, it would reasonably follow that other travel insurance bought from Alllianz would also cover COVID.

Yes but they are not all created equal,they had around 10 cards last I looked, but the clause I wrote is from the same card you are referring to 

Cheers Carole