covid test precruise boarding ships in Europe

susiesan

What is the likelihood that NCL will require covid tests this spring and summer for cruises boarding in Europe? Although my Dawn cruise from Stockholm is not until Aug. 16, I am starting to research how and where I can get a covid test in Stockholm before boarding the ship. A covid test is no longer needed to enter Sweden by air from the US. I will be staying there for 2 nights before the cruise. If the country where the cruise starts does not require a covid test why would NCL require it?

37 minutes ago, susiesan said:

What is the likelihood that NCL will require covid tests this spring and summer for cruises boarding in Europe? Although my Dawn cruise from Stockholm is not until Aug. 16, I am starting to research how and where I can get a covid test in Stockholm before boarding the ship. A covid test is no longer needed to enter Sweden by air from the US. I will be staying there for 2 nights before the cruise. If the country where the cruise starts does not require a covid test why would NCL require it?

Seriously...you're not a newcomer to Cruise Critic, cruising, or international travel during the pandemic. You know very well that no one can answer a question about what COVID protocols will be in place six months from now,

As to NCL requiring a test when the embarkation country doesn't...you know the answer to that question too. Every cruise line has its own independently developed protocols and while those protocols have to meet the requirements of the embarkation port there's nothing to prohibit a cruise line from exceeding those requirements if they believe its in their best interests to do so. Also, a country on the itinerary might require testing even if the embarkation country doesn't and the cruise line has to obey the rules put in place by every country on its itinerary. Just because Sweden might not require testing doesn't mean that another country won't.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Seriously...you're not a newcomer to Cruise Critic, cruising, or international travel during the pandemic. You know very well that no one can answer a question about what COVID protocols will be in place six months from now,

As to NCL requiring a test when the embarkation country doesn't...you know the answer to that question too. Every cruise line has its own independently developed protocols and while those protocols have to meet the requirements of the embarkation port there's nothing to prohibit a cruise line from exceeding those requirements if they believe its in their best interests to do so. Also, a country on the itinerary might require testing even if the embarkation country doesn't and the cruise line has to obey the rules put in place by every country on its itinerary. Just because Sweden might not require testing doesn't mean that another country won't.

None of the countries on my itinerary require testing to enter. As I have not cruised with NCL in the last 15 years I am educating myself on their protocols so as to make an informed decision about canceling or not before final payment is due. 

As the first NCL cruise to embark in Europe is March 30, less than 2 months from now, I would hope NCL is planning ahead and sending out information about covid testing that is required for cruises in Europe.

Edited by susiesan

56 minutes ago, susiesan said:

None of the countries on my itinerary require testing to enter. As I have not cruised with NCL in the last 15 years I am educating myself on their protocols so as to make an informed decision about canceling or not before final payment is due. 

As the first NCL cruise to embark in Europe is March 30, less than 2 months from now, I would hope NCL is planning ahead and sending out information about covid testing that is required for cruises in Europe.

It matters little that it's NCL. My response would have been the same for any cruise line. Also you've posted on Oceania's board quite often...and IIRC you've cruised on Oceania.  Oceania and NCL are part of the same corporate family.  They both use the same underlying "Sail Safe" protocols with just minor tweaks to reflect the unique needs of the individual cruise lines, such as effective March 1 NCL will permit unvaccinated children under the age of 12 because it's a cruise line that caters more to families with young children than Oceania does.

Edited by njhorseman

All the more reason for families sailing on NCL ships this coming spring/summer to be up to date with covid testing requirements and the additional costs that could have to be added to family vacations. Unlike cruises sailing from US ports where you can get precruise free covid tests at CVS or Walgreens, most covid tests in Europe are running $50 for antigen tests. If a test is required by NCL before the cruise and then another after the cruise to fly back to the US, that is an extra $100 pp for covid testing. How many families with children are even aware of all this cost since it is not spelled out at all on NCL web site? How many people know to factor in time for these tests after arriving in Europe and then after disembarking their cruise and heading to an airport. There are going to be a lot of surprised and angry cruisers who don't know anything about all of this extra covid testing if they are not active on CC.

6 hours ago, susiesan said:

Cruises starting in Europe require a test taken within three days of embarkation date. If you are staying in Stockholm for two nights then a test taken before you leave the US will be fine, unless you have a layover on the way.

Edited by KeithJenner

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

What?  I sailed from Civitavecchia in October. 

And we had to abide by the rules put in place by Italy.  So despite NCL advertising mask-free (at that time), we were required to wear masks.

17 hours ago, susiesan said:

NCL has planned ahead, and the current protocols from NCL.COM/SAFE are as follows. Will they be the same as on the day of your cruise? No. We're leaving in a few days, and our COVID protocols just changed again.

The current protocols are in place to protect passengers and crew. And have gone above and beyond the basic requirements of local government.... which is a good thing. 

Cruises with embarkation dates beginning March 1, 2022:
At time of check-in, all guests will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test result administered by a verified third party or via medically supervised home test (i.e. 
https://www.emed.com/ or BioReference's Scarlet service - BioReference sends a trained Scarlet Health Professional to your home to collect your COVID-19 test specimen), within two days prior to boarding for cruises originating in a U.S. port and three days prior for voyages departing from a non-U.S. port. Guests are also responsible for complying with all local health and safety requirements which may include additional pre-embarkation testing at the terminal. Please refer to Cruise Travel Requirements by Country for country specific requirements

On Europe sailings only:

Local government regulations require all guests to wear masks onboard while indoors except for when actively eating or drinking or when in their stateroom. Guests will be required to wear masks outdoors when social distancing is not possible. We will continue to monitor public health guidance, including from the CDC, at the time of your voyage and modify requirements accordingly.

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

All countries in Europe have dropped masking, testing, vaccine passports, and other covid protocols. Local government regs do not require masks anymore. Europe is open for business and tourism, the cruise lines need to catch up to current local regulations.

Actually this does not come into effect in The Netherlands until 25th February which is applicable for most venues etc. By the way an antigen test here costs €3 not $50. Do check each individual country before traveling because even though we have the EU we don’t all have the same rules.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, milolii said:

Do you have a source, please?  Scotland still has some masking according to the tour  directors I am communicating with.  

Are you asking me or Susisan?

Here is the Dutch website.

https://www.government.nl/topics/c/coronavirus-covid-19/tackling-new-coronavirus-in-the-netherlands/coronavirus-measures-in-brief

I have been looking at this website for covid updates in Europe, specifically the Schengen countries. My Dawn cruise this summer visits Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Estonia, Germany, Lithuania, Poland, Russia, and ends in Holland. I believe all of those countries have or about to drop indoor mask mandates and any covid testing to enter the country if you are vaccinated.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/

28 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I have been looking at this website for covid updates in Europe, specifically the Schengen countries. My Dawn cruise this summer visits Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Estonia, Germany, Lithuania, Poland, Russia, and ends in Holland. I believe all of those countries have or about to drop indoor mask mandates and any covid testing to enter the country if you are vaccinated.

That is a privately owned commercial website not affiliated with the EU  or any of its member countries. 

As a result it is not an official source of information for any EU country so there is some element of risk in relying on the information published there.

6 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

That is a privately owned commercial website not affiliated with the EU  or any of its member countries. 

As a result it is not an official source of information for any EU country so there is some element of risk in relying on the information published there.

So far all of the information I have read on that site is true. It is easy to cross reference directly with the individual country government web sites.

40 minutes ago, susiesan said:

So far all of the information I have read on that site is true. It is easy to cross reference directly with the individual country government web sites.

My thought on that is if you're going to the trouble of verifying information against official government sources then why not just go to the official government sources to begin with?

In any event this article in The New York Times talks about how the various entry requirements of different countries can be confusing and difficult to comply with.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/18/travel/vaccines-boosters-travel.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Travel

On 2/19/2022 at 3:48 PM, susiesan said:

Unlike cruises sailing from US ports where you can get precruise free covid tests at CVS or Walgreens, most covid tests in Europe are running $50 for antigen tests.

Anyone with experience with CVS and Walgreens COVID test for travel recently?
For our December trip - CVS was free. We have Medicare and Anthem. 

Today I looked for future appointments on CVS.  Answered their questions and the result was:

"You do not qualify for a free test.  Cost will be $139"

I understand things are in constant change and no one can predict what will happen but what about right now.

4 hours ago, susiesan said:

Great but this is not all of Europe.  The post stating ALL  countries have dropped all restrictions can confuse people.  

8 hours ago, susiesan said:

All countries in Europe have dropped masking, testing, vaccine passports, and other covid protocols. Local government regs do not require masks anymore. Europe is open for business and tourism, the cruise lines need to catch up to current local regulations.

Edited by milolii

14 hours ago, susiesan said:

Nope... here in Germany we still do wear FFP2/KN95 mask indoors (offices, all public buildings, shops) and also in public transporation (including planes). You need to be either tested, recovered or vaccinated to go to work or for public transportation. We do open up a bit and by March 20th many of the regulations will be gone - except for wearing masks indoors and in public transporation.

steamboats

• Like 1