Airfare is too high! Miami!

helene109

28 minutes ago, mbarker10 said:

We booked our march cruise last year and been watching airfare prices off and on. Prices are outrageous. Memphis to MCO is literally $1600 for two tickets. The drive is 13 hrs but we cannot pay that for airfare. 

What was the price when you booked your cruise?

What were the prices in the interim between then and today?

Did you not buy air because you felt that the price would go down?

I'll say it again, as I have for over 15 years on CC:  People see a price for air and think it is too high.  So they don't buy, hoping it will drop.  And the price doesn't drop, but instead increases.  And they again hope that it will drop.  And it doesn't.  And at some point, we see a post saying something along the lines of "air tickets are outrageous" and "what can we do".  The answer is simple and two-fold.  First, if you see a price you can live with, buy it.  Not that you like it, but that you can live with.  Now that change fees have pretty much gone away, except for basic economy tickets, you can change if the prices drop and get the difference as a credit to use for another trip.  And second -- know that hope is never a viable strategy.  Look for the reasons for your beliefs, and hoping that prices will drop is not viable.

• Like 1

Demand is skyrocketing to vacation destinations. Absolutely skyrocketing. I booked a flight to LAX two weeks ago for early March, out on Monday morning, back on Tuesday morning. It was $290 roundtrip. I checked yesterday because my colleague got added to the rotation, and he paid $600 roundtrip for the exact same flights. So yeah...going up quick. I am very doubtful that you see a drop in your price, unfortunately. 

Deals are to be found...but not to vacation destinations during vacation time. I booked a flight this morning to go to Green Bay on Thursday. Green Bay...in February...not a lot of demand, so three days out it was $280 roundtrip from Kansas City to Green Bay. 

Edited by Zach1213

The 2 tickets you need to buy.....is that for more people, or for you to fly home out of miami?

The last few times we've flown, I've bought one-way tickets. We are flying into Ft Lauderdale on Southwest but home out of Miami on Delta in March. Saved over $400 by doing it that way.

Look at Expedia but also look at each individual airline, sometimes they have cheaper flights or more times to choose from. Also, airlines like Southwest don't sell on Expedia. Spirit Airlines is super cheap but you have to pay for every bag. Frontier just bought them and they tend to be cheaper also.

Edited by CheckersMidwest

12 hours ago, CheckersMidwest said:

also, it looks like you're not far away from Miami since the flights are so short. Do you have Jetblue as an option? They have just now come to KC, always flew up/down the East coast before. They have great fares.

They're not here quite yet...March 27 is launch day for MCI-BOS and MCI-JFK. I'm actually booked on the inaugural MCI-BOS just for fun. I've only flown JetBlue once, from Seattle to Long Beach in 2016ish, so I'm curious to experience them again. 

On 2/20/2022 at 5:28 PM, FlyerTalker said:

What was the price when you booked your cruise?

What were the prices in the interim between then and today?

Did you not buy air because you felt that the price would go down?

I'll say it again, as I have for over 15 years on CC:  People see a price for air and think it is too high.  So they don't buy, hoping it will drop.  And the price doesn't drop, but instead increases.  And they again hope that it will drop.  And it doesn't.  And at some point, we see a post saying something along the lines of "air tickets are outrageous" and "what can we do".  The answer is simple and two-fold.  First, if you see a price you can live with, buy it.  Not that you like it, but that you can live with.  Now that change fees have pretty much gone away, except for basic economy tickets, you can change if the prices drop and get the difference as a credit to use for another trip.  And second -- know that hope is never a viable strategy.  Look for the reasons for your beliefs, and hoping that prices will drop is not viable.

We booked a year ago and and have been watching prices the last 5 months. We didn't book because prices have *been* high, and we can drive, although it sucks, so I decided it wasn't worth $1K in plane tickets, and it's obviously now not worth $1600. I didn't ask what to do, just an observation. We anticipated higher plane tickets now that travel demand is back up. 

13 minutes ago, mbarker10 said:

We booked a year ago and and have been watching prices the last 5 months.

And there you have it.  A cruise in March - spring break time, yet the search for air was on the sidelines for 6 months - started looking in September.

Here's the ugly hard truth.  People don't just book cruises for spring break, they also book air 9 to 11 months out.  Why?  Because there is high demand and they know that prices will go up as it gets closer to travel date.  Burned once, they now buy in advance.  Far in advance.

17 minutes ago, mbarker10 said:

I didn't ask what to do, just an observation.

And I've made an observation for all the readers who plan to cruise during spring break.  Or any holiday period.  There are low cost air tickets available - but they sell out early.

For example, if I was going to a family gathering for Thanksgiving, I'd be looking at air right now.  And given the liberalized policies for changes, I'd likely consider buying as well.

My advice posted above in post 26 still stands.  If not for you, then for the other folks that read this thread.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

And there you have it.  A cruise in March - spring break time, yet the search for air was on the sidelines for 6 months - started looking in September.

Here's the ugly hard truth.  People don't just book cruises for spring break, they also book air 9 to 11 months out.  Why?  Because there is high demand and they know that prices will go up as it gets closer to travel date.  Burned once, they now buy in advance.  Far in advance.

And I've made an observation for all the readers who plan to cruise during spring break.  Or any holiday period.  There are low cost air tickets available - but they sell out early.

For example, if I was going to a family gathering for Thanksgiving, I'd be looking at air right now.  And given the liberalized policies for changes, I'd likely consider buying as well.

My advice posted above in post 26 still stands.  If not for you, then for the other folks that read this thread.

In the past 12 months airlines and Hotels and even car rentals have all swung to a new pricing canned Demand or Dynamic price.   Prices are based on demand , convenience and connection.   There can be  5 or more prices for the same airport, same day, to the same  place.     Demand pricing means  every few tickets sold generates a new price... and so on.. Like an auction.  The airlines puts up 4 to 6 seats at price A  when those are gone the next 4-6 seats Price B  and so on .

GONE are the last min deals because the airlines etc. have made up for any empty seats by generating profits  along the way.    It is a new day.    What you did in the past is gone.  adapt and learn.

I bought tickets for August22 to Europe in  November 21,  60 days after they were  listed ( 330 days out    4 months 120 days ,later they are going for $700  pp more...  AND that's not the top either    Site says "only3 tickets left at this price.... and they mean it   Increases will continue every few days as tickets sell.!!!    Just  Rember  that waiting can cost you $$$  every single day you procrastinate.

flat,750x1000,075,f.jpg

3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I’m a teacher so unfortunately there’s no flexibility in booking. We’re gonna drive; it is what it is. Part of the problem with being a teacher and having to work with school holidays. Well, with isn’t a good adjective. Against! Ha ha. 

We’re going to Argentina in Oct 2023 and I’ll definitely be looking at plane tickets as soon as they’re available. 

Edited by mbarker10

On 2/20/2022 at 5:29 PM, FlyerTalker said:

Reason: Demand for air travel is lowest on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Econ 101

I think the OP was suggesting that booking on Tuesday is cheapest, not buying on Tuesday. If that's the case can your TA. That's bogus to the point of being hilarious.

If that was the case wouldn't everyone just wait until Tuesday to book? Why would airlines choose to generous for one day of the week?

5 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

In the past 12 months airlines and Hotels and even car rentals have all swung to a new pricing canned Demand or Dynamic price.   Prices are based on demand , convenience and connection.   There can be  5 or more prices for the same airport, same day, to the same  place.     Demand pricing means  every few tickets sold generates a new price... and so on.. Like an auction.  The airlines puts up 4 to 6 seats at price A  when those are gone the next 4-6 seats Price B  and so on .

This isn't new. This is how airline pricing and revenue management has been handled for decades.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fbgd said:

I think the OP was suggesting that booking on Tuesday is cheapest, not buying on Tuesday. If that's the case can your TA. That's bogus to the point of being hilarious.

If that was the case wouldn't everyone just wait until Tuesday to book? Why would airlines choose to generous for one day of the week?

This isn't new. This is how airline pricing and revenue management has been handled for decades.

Not to this extent....  been flying for 40+ years and this is a whole new ball game...

13 hours ago, mbarker10 said:

We’re going to Argentina in Oct 2023 and I’ll definitely be looking at plane tickets as soon as they’re available. 

While I definitely think it's a good idea to keep an eye on flights straight from the start (be it 330 days out or whatever), it's rarely a great idea to book the moment they come out. Fares often are higher then as airlines work to feel out market demand, and there's also a near 100% chance of (sometimes significant) flight time/equipment/route changes that far out. So while I don't think last minute is your best bet, nor is 330 days out. But, it's always good to start looking later this year if you absolutely know when you'll be going. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

While I definitely think it's a good idea to keep an eye on flights straight from the start (be it 330 days out or whatever), it's rarely a great idea to book the moment they come out. Fares often are higher then as airlines work to feel out market demand, and there's also a near 100% chance of (sometimes significant) flight time/equipment/route changes that far out. So while I don't think last minute is your best bet, nor is 330 days out. But, it's always good to start looking later this year if you absolutely know when you'll be going. 

Totally agree, but if you don't start looking as early ss possible,  relative to when you know you are going, how can you really effectively compare? I think waiting months to research, when the fares were available during most, if not all of that time, doesn't help the credibility of the rant that fares are too expensive. As Covid was raging 5 months ago, fares might have been pretty low early on...they are now responding to increasing demand pressure. Perhaps not, but how would one know if they didn't do the research?

11 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Not to this extent....  been flying for 40+ years and this is a whole new ball game...

I agree. We've been flying locally and internationally for the last 15 years, and I've never seen prices to Orlando range from $1000-$1600. It's a 90 min flight, for goodness sake.

49 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

For sure. Argentina we're fairly limited to LATAM Airlines, so I don't know they look like in terms of making changes. What I'm currently doing is watching prices as far out as I can get (Feb 2023) and seeing what the average is, so when Oct opens up, I hope to have a better idea of what's normal and what's not.

41 minutes ago, mbarker10 said:

For sure. Argentina we're fairly limited to LATAM Airlines, so I don't know they look like in terms of making changes. What I'm currently doing is watching prices as far out as I can get (Feb 2023) and seeing what the average is, so when Oct opens up, I hope to have a better idea of what's normal and what's not.

Perhaps I missed something earlier, and I'm sorry if I did, but is there a reason you're limited to LATAM? I would argue that unless you have a very good reason to be limited to one airline or one route, you're only limiting the number of possibilities that could decrease your fare. 

Edited by Zach1213

15 hours ago, mbarker10 said:

I’m a teacher so unfortunately there’s no flexibility in booking. We’re gonna drive; it is what it is. Part of the problem with being a teacher and having to work with school holidays.

Only if you insist on vacationing in those small windows.  There's a whole three months in the summer when you can flexible.

3 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Only if you insist on vacationing in those small windows.  There's a whole three months in the summer when you can flexible.

Unfortunately not, but I do appreciate the advice. I run a summer camp program for parents who need childcare.  We also only get 8 weeks because we're a year round school.

Edited by mbarker10

8 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Perhaps I missed something earlier, and I'm sorry if I did, but is there a reason you're limited to LATAM? I would argue that unless you have a very good reason to be limited to one airline or one route, you're only limiting the number of possibilities that could decrease your fare. 

Where we're traveling is basically only serviced by LATAM, but I'm still researching. There's other options to fly into Buenos Aires and drive or do a connecting flight.

3 minutes ago, mbarker10 said:

Where we're traveling is basically only serviced by LATAM, but I'm still researching. There's other options to fly into Buenos Aires and drive or do a connecting flight.

I am not sure where you're coming from or where you're going to, but I do certainly urge you to make your umbrella of options as wide as possible to have the most options of fares, in-flight quality, and (if important) airline/alliance points and perks. 

1 minute ago, Zach1213 said:

I am not sure where you're coming from or where you're going to, but I do certainly urge you to make your umbrella of options as wide as possible to have the most options of fares, in-flight quality, and (if important) airline/alliance points and perks. 

Absolutely. We've done plenty of international flights; I've just never done Argentina or surrounding so I'm working on improving my knowledge of the area and the best way to get there. We've got a while, luckily, and research is my favorite part!

1 minute ago, mbarker10 said:

Absolutely. We've done plenty of international flights; I've just never done Argentina or surrounding so I'm working on improving my knowledge of the area and the best way to get there. We've got a while, luckily, and research is my favorite part!

I'll stop going on and on since it's not the original topic 🙂  But I will say that driving in Argentina is easy and safe, and there are also good car services to get you around. Keep in mind that, should to decide to transfer via Buenos Aires, there are two airports (Ezeiza and Newberry; Ezeiza is the big international one) so I would urge you to make sure you're coming and going through the same one unless you're spending some time in Buenos Aires in between (which is a lovely city). It's a solid hour between the two airports, or more during rush hours. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

I'll stop going on and on since it's not the original topic 🙂  But I will say that driving in Argentina is easy and safe, and there are also good car services to get you around. Keep in mind that, should to decide to transfer via Buenos Aires, there are two airports (Ezeiza and Newberry; Ezeiza is the big international one) so I would urge you to make sure you're coming and going through the same one unless you're spending some time in Buenos Aires in between (which is a lovely city). It's a solid hour between the two airports, or more during rush hours. 

I really appreciate your advice!

On 2/23/2022 at 9:53 AM, mbarker10 said:

I agree. We've been flying locally and internationally for the last 15 years, and I've never seen prices to Orlando range from $1000-$1600. It's a 90 min flight, for goodness sake.

Something to consider if you're at a hub is that even if the flight is short the airline would rather save those seats for passengers connecting from more lucrative origin spots.

The airline could be pricing hub to MCO passengers deliberately out of the market. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 10:47 AM, Zach1213 said:

Demand is skyrocketing to vacation destinations. Absolutely skyrocketing. I booked a flight to LAX two weeks ago for early March, out on Monday morning, back on Tuesday morning. It was $290 roundtrip. I checked yesterday because my colleague got added to the rotation, and he paid $600 roundtrip for the exact same flights. So yeah...going up quick. I am very doubtful that you see a drop in your price, unfortunately. 

Deals are to be found...but not to vacation destinations during vacation time. I booked a flight this morning to go to Green Bay on Thursday. Green Bay...in February...not a lot of demand, so three days out it was $280 roundtrip from Kansas City to Green Bay. 

Yes it is!! We booked our family of 4 round trip to MCO as soon as the rates were available with Delta. Paid $1,500. (Ouch) but I just knew with the war, gas prices, covid settling, it being Florida & winter, prices weren’t going down. If I booked those exact same flights today just a few short weeks later it would be $2,890!! prices just aren’t going down. If you see a price you’re ok with booking, jump on it!!

• Thanks 1

I think the near future trend with the airlines (both domestic and international) is towards increased pricing.  Most airlines are now talking about 10-20% increases just to cover the high cost of fuel.  There is also a worldwide shortage of Commercial/ATR pilots due to increased retirements (caused by the COVID slowdown) which will take several years to rectify.    Just this week (last Saturday) we missed our AA connection at DFW (our flight from Mexico arrived 3 hours late).  The earliest that AA could get us on a flight to our planned destination was Tuesday night!  Flights everywhere within several hundred miles of our destination were overbooked for days.    This does not result in falling prices.

Hank

• Like 1