Booked on a rumored charter cruise. When will RCCL notify us?

gometros

21 minutes ago, ChC said:

We are talking about a particular demographic group that has no children's tuitions fees, saving for colleges, or even mortgage in most cases. You can't use the same simple universal logic to apply to speciality groups like RSVP or Atlantis. And for many of the charter's customer (possibly around 60-75%), their only cruise for the year is the charter. Repeating customers are the key and many cabins allocations got sold before the current charter cruise complete. It is a big business. The margin for the charter is very high, not to mention they may take a healthy cut for onboard sales during the charter. If you see their financial performance, you will rush into the business if you can identify an opportunity. 

We are talking about a particular demographic group that has no children's tuitions fees, saving for colleges, or even mortgage in most cases.  Huh??

• Like 3

22 hours ago, SG65CB said:

And they need to do a better job of accommodating people who have cruises canceled due to a charter. Need to give better replacement options with no financial jeopardy.  Imagine all the planning you put into cruise selection and then it's all out the window. They give you some not-so-good options and by the way on the replacement cruises the class of cabin you had booked is not available, too bad for you. 

i agree.  I hope I did not confuse you.  I did not mean accommodate the charter folks who get cancelled, but I meant those of us who book a room only to find out it is a charter and then as you say give us options that are not so good.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChC said:

We are talking about a particular demographic group that has no children's tuitions fees, saving for colleges, or even mortgage in most cases. 

Pretty ignorant comment.   Wow.   Gay people have none of these expenses?  ...  You need to get out more .. or at least open your eyes a bit. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChC said:

And for many of the charter's customer (possibly around 60-75%), their only cruise for the year is the charter. Repeating customers are the key and many cabins allocations got sold before the current charter cruise complete. It is a big business.

The margin for the charter is very high, not to mention they may take a healthy cut for onboard sales during the charter. If you see their financial performance, you will rush into the business if you can identify an opportunity. 

Ok so if RCI knows this group likes to charter and they do well, then do not post that cruise for other to book and thereby having to cancel.  I mean insist these large repeats lock in a year in advance or so just like bus tours have to block off hotel rooms.

My only beef is surprising charters that pop up after a ship has been on sale for a while and then having to push everyone aside to accommodate the charter.  I understand charters are good for business, they should be handled better in the first place.

BTW whatever demographics we are talking about, everyone deserves to cruise and have the reservation handled properly by the cruise line.

10 hours ago, ChC said:

We are talking about a particular demographic group that has no children's tuitions fees, saving for colleges, or even mortgage in most cases. You can't use the same simple universal logic to apply to speciality groups like RSVP or Atlantis. And for many of the charter's customer (possibly around 60-75%), their only cruise for the year is the charter. Repeating customers are the key and many cabins allocations got sold before the current charter cruise complete. It is a big business. The margin for the charter is very high, not to mention they may take a healthy cut for onboard sales during the charter. If you see their financial performance, you will rush into the business if you can identify an opportunity. 

1) I never said it wasn't profitable

2) Why would you assume those on an LGBT cruise wouldn't have children or a mortgage? That's a rather ignorant assumption

7 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Ok so if RCI knows this group likes to charter and they do well, then do not post that cruise for other to book and thereby having to cancel.  I mean insist these large repeats lock in a year in advance or so just like bus tours have to block off hotel rooms.

My only beef is surprising charters that pop up after a ship has been on sale for a while and then having to push everyone aside to accommodate the charter.  I understand charters are good for business, they should be handled better in the first place.

BTW whatever demographics we are talking about, everyone deserves to cruise and have the reservation handled properly by the cruise line.

You do realize royal puts out its itinerary more than a year in advance right? Even if they moved the deadline to a year out (they won't) Royal is already selling cruises through April 2024. If the year cut off is April 2023 the cruise will would have been sold for well over a year before the deadline you suggest. It won't stop royal from selling that cruise for the year plus before your year deadline. 

Edited by smplybcause

11 hours ago, ChC said:

Hi I am from LGBTQ+ community. It is perfectly OK to generalise or use the majority as example when talk about demographic groups for a particular event participant. Lots of sociology research does that, and marketing demographic research do that too. Please don't be ignorant about it. I think you will find overwhelmingly majority of  the Atlantis/RSVP participant has NO children. And you will find less than a quarter of the group has mortgage. Most or majority of Atlantis/RSVP whole ship charter participant is SINGLE, in their 20-40s. It is because of the nature of the cruise. There are higher concertation of couples in Pied Piper group (small group) and Aquafest group (whole ship charter). Actually majority of the participant in Pied Piper and Aquafest are older and couples. Then you have the final group in age, for the retirees there is Primetimers smaller group. 

You made a lot of 'ignorant' assumption in your post, I point that out to you. Then you attack me being ignorant. The fact is, I was trying to share my knowledge. Maybe next time you should really read your own post before you accuse other people 'ignorant'. 

Your wording made it sound like you were saying all gay people when you said "this demographic".   It wasn't clear that you were talking about the Atlantis cruise crowd (younger, single, etc) .. that i do agree with.   Thats the young rowdy party boi crowd.   And as a 50+yo gay guy, its not a crowd I'd wanna cruise with either!  lol 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2022 at 1:15 PM, gometros said:

Ha, I thought you knew the group to which I was referring. Yes, it is the Atlantis group. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is

1) if we wait and find out we've been booted, depending how long it takes RCCL to tell us, will out room choices be limited on our alternate choice, which will most likely be the following Southern Caribbean cruise. 

2) Are the incentives RCCL will offer us good enough that it's worth waiting, or do we (pardon the pun) jump ship now and switch to the other cruise?

I lost a cruise to a charter.  Royal offered $100 OBC.  If a hundred bucks is worth waiting and potentially limiting your options a little more wait.  Otherwise, I'd bail now.

• Like 1