Newbie Looking For Help

Florida32

Hi all

Looking at booking my first cruise. My mom and sister have taken a cruise before but I have not. Right now we are looking at a short 3 day on RCCL in case I can't tolerate being on a ship. (Sea sickness).

We are looking at sailing from Miami. 

Are there any good hotels in the area that offer a free shuttle to the cruise port?

Also is booking thru Costco a good idea, and if the rate drops, what is the policy? 

Thank you for any help!

24 minutes ago, Florida32 said:

Hi all

Looking at booking my first cruise. My mom and sister have taken a cruise before but I have not. Right now we are looking at a short 3 day on RCCL in case I can't tolerate being on a ship. (Sea sickness).

Are there any good hotels in the area that offer a free shuttle to the cruise port?

Also is booking thru Costco a good idea, and if the rate drops, what is the policy? 

Thank you for any help!

No discussion of TAs allowed here on CC.

IMO: best hotel for MIA port is the Intercontinental. Taxi to port is <$10.

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No discussion of TAs allowed here on CC.

IMO: best hotel for MIA port is the Intercontinental. Taxi to port is <$10.

Thanks,

I didn't realize Costco counted as one. If we book thru anyone that isn't direct with RCCL is it hard to get price drops?

12 minutes ago, Florida32 said:

Thanks,

I didn't realize Costco counted as one. If we book thru anyone that isn't direct with RCCL is it hard to get price drops?

There are great TAs and there are losers. It takes real research for a newbie to identify them.

That said, TA basic fare prices are exactly the same as cruise line direct prices. TA’s may be able to offer a lower “fare” by adding incentive perks they’ve received from the cruise line or from a TA consortium that has a deal with the cruise line or by sharing part of their commission as a rebate that then lowers your out-of-pocket costs.

TAs offer the same perks as the cruise line is offering (except for book onboard bonuses) though unscrupulous ones may suggest that it is the TA who is “footing the bill.” Beyond the line’s basic perks, a good TA will add pass through incentive $ to the deal (e.g., gratuities coverage) and, hopefully add commission sharing at 5-10% of the commissionable fare in the form of refundable SBC or a cash rebate.

Equally important, the right TA (among the top sellers for your desired line) can solve booking problems far better than you can.

Search here on CC for my numerous previous posts about how to find a good TA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Florida32 said:

Hi all

I've stayed at the Doubletree by Hilton Grand Hotel a few times.  It's really nice, has great restaurants, and there was a free shuttle.  I'd double check to make sure it is still running though.  

The Miami Marriott Biscayne Bay is right next to it and has access to the same restaurants.  This is also a nice hotel and has...or at least used to have....a free shuttle.  

Ref your pick for a first cruise, I think you're making a good decision.  Of the lines offering those short cruises, I think Royal Caribbean is the best choice.  

I'd prefer a 4 night cruise for the value, but those run M-F with Royal mostly and I don't want to take an entire week off work in case I'm miserable. 

I plan on buying and packing the following:

Seabands 

Seasickness patch

Anti Nausea medicine

Any other suggestions?

Howdy @Florida32 emo22.gif

Welcome to the Cruise Critic boards! See Top 8 Things You Can Do on the Cruise Critic Message Boards to Enhance Your Cruise

I suggest you use the Follow feature on this thread or any other thread or forum where you are interested in future replies in threads or new threads in a forum. You will not have to go l👀king to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! emo34.gif If you need more info on how to do it, please see How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info).

And regarding TAs, please see the following portions from the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships: Travel Agent Recommendations and Advertising is Not Allowed

Perhaps the following Cruise Critic articles will be of interest:

Finding a Cruise Travel Agent

What to Expect on a Cruise: Booking a Cruise With a Travel Agent

What to Expect on a Cruise: Booking With a Cruise Line

Secret Agent Deals: How to Find Prices Cruise Lines Don't Offer

What to Look For in a Travel Agent In The COVID-19 Era

And once you book your cruise, be sure to find the Cruise Critic Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date! See the following articles:

What Is a Cruise Critic Roll Call?

8 Reasons to Join a Cruise Critic Roll Call

Here are some message board threads for more help regarding Roll Call threads:

What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know

How To: Create A New Roll Call

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to submit your review for publication by Cruise Critic. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience! emo49.gif See How To: Submit a Member Review.

I hope all this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Florida32 said:

Hi all

Thank you for any help!

Check on the Florida board.

DON

Someone has already responded a bit about seasickness.  The old message was "as low as possible and near mid-ships."  The "low" part is a bit tricky since newer ships are as tall as they are.  You likely don't want to be on the lowest decks, but fairly low.  Being amid-ship is certainly correct, as that will minimize the pitching of the ship -- where the bow and stern go up and down as on a seesaw.  Rolling -- the side-to-side motion -- is another story.  Theoretically you want to be in the middle of the ship, but that means an inside stateroom, and that is the worst possible place.

First of all, almost everyone gets over any seasickness.  (Yes, I know, there are a very small number of people who do not get over it, but they are a tiny fraction of a tiny fraction of 1%.)  The first thing to remember is to eat normal meals.  That's counter-intuitive, but you do want something in your stomach.  I would not eat greasy foods, but do eat.  There are any number of anti-nausea meds out there, many over-the-counter.  Ginger does a lot, and there is ginger candy, ginger cookies, ginger pills and ginger ale.  Some people swear by seabands that put accupressure on your wrist, others don't get any effect.  If you are going to take meds, i.e. Dramamine, bromine, etc., then you have to start these before the ship starts to move.  Avoid going the "nuclear" route, and insisting on a scopolamine patch as a first resort.  These are very powerful, and generally reserved for those that absolutely require them.  They have some serious side-effects, and if you are going to put one of these on, you should do so on dry land well before you travel to see how they affect you.

While aboard, stay out in the fresh air as much as possible, and keep you eyes looking out towards the horizon.  The latest thinking is that a conflict between the inner ear and eye (if one senses motion and the other does not, i.e. if you are inside and cannot see the motion), that is what causes seasickness.  So to the degree possible, make sure you can see the seas and the horizon.

Still many people have short-term motion sickness when they first go to sea.  In almost all cases, it goes away on its own within a few hours to a day. 

The motion of a cruise ship is very different than that of a car or a small boat.  No ship is so large as to not be affected by the seas, but the motion tends to be slower and more gentle than a small boat.  Your body just has to adjust to the fact that it is moving.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2022 at 2:09 AM, Aquahound said:

If seasickness is a concern, book on the lowest deck and as close to the center of the ship as possible.  That is where you'll feel the least movement.  

Thanks for the tip

On 3/6/2022 at 3:55 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Terrible advice. Center? Perhaps. No balcony on which you can step out and watch the horizon. Big mistake.

Center as in half way along the side. Not all ships have those wierd gaps in the middle, or even inside cabins

55 minutes ago, KBs mum said:

Center as in half way along the side. Not all ships have those wierd gaps in the middle, or even inside cabins

Cabin with a balcony where you can comfortably watch the horizon - outside if weather permits- is the most important factor as regards sea-sickness. Forward cabins not a good idea. Mid-to aft better. 

With respect, most advice on sea sickness comes from those who do not have it or not very severe.  I have very severe sea sickness and was very sick on our first cruise for an entire week. It never went away until I was off the ship. There weren't many non drowsy options back then (1980), so I had to visit the medical center two or three times during that 1 week cruise. After that a friend (who is also very prone to sea sickness) recommended "Bonine" (Meclizine).  I now take 1 every morning when I get up, no matter how good I feel.  Since then, I have had no trouble on cruises even during rough seas. Trouble is that we can no longer get it in Canada for whatever reason.  Most of our cruises began in the US, so I would pick some up in the US port of departure.  We will be on a Med cruise this fall, so not sure if they even have it in Italy where we begin the cruise. Any suggestions on where to buy some would be appreciated. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Snorkel kid said:

With respect, most advice on sea sickness comes from those who do not have it or not very severe.  I have very severe sea sickness and was very sick on our first cruise for an entire week. It never went away until I was off the ship. There weren't many non drowsy options back then (1980), so I had to visit the medical center two or three times during that 1 week cruise. After that a friend (who is also very prone to sea sickness) recommended "Bonine" (Meclizine).  I now take 1 every morning when I get up, no matter how good I feel.  Since then, I have had no trouble on cruises even during rough seas. Trouble is that we can no longer get it in Canada for whatever reason.  Most of our cruises began in the US, so I would pick some up in the US port of departure.  We will be on a Med cruise this fall, so not sure if they even have it in Italy where we begin the cruise. Any suggestions on where to buy some would be appreciated. 

Best advice is to ask your doctor for help and get something on prescription. I get prescription 'strong' version of over the counter meds, whick work for me. Key, as others have said, is to get them in plenty time and try them before your holiday if you haven't used them before. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 6:51 PM, Florida32 said:

I'd prefer a 4 night cruise for the value, but those run M-F with Royal mostly and I don't want to take an entire week off work in case I'm miserable. 

I plan on buying and packing the following:

Seabands 

Seasickness patch

Anti Nausea medicine

Any other suggestions?

Yes! Ginger chews. (Amazon.) very helpful. Maybe a box of saltines. If you get to feeling sick, you’re not gonna feel like running up to the buffet to see if they have crackers or bread to help settle your stomach. For what it’s worth, I am prone to motion sickness and I’ve never been seasick on a cruise ship, not even if the sea is rough. If you have not booked a room yet, try to pick something midship, as that is usually the most stable.

Edited by Cruise Kay
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2022 at 3:49 PM, Snorkel kid said:

We will be on a Med cruise this fall, so not sure if they even have it in Italy where we begin the cruise. Any suggestions on where to buy some would be appreciated. 

Try Ebay.