Bringing Soda Onboard-bit of confusion

mmtska

So there's a bit of a back and forth on my fb page for my upcoming cruise about bringing cans of soda on board. Some people are saying that it MUST be in the original containers. Others are saying that they've brought them randomly, such as in a cooler. We planned to bring cans with us in a small cooler (based on the 12x12x12 listed in the FAQ), since it was kind of a pain to lug around two 12 packs last time, but I also don't want them to throw away 24 cans of soda at the port. 

We're departing from Port Canaveral if that makes a difference, since some people said it could be based on port... I've stared at the FAQs and I *think* I'll be ok with them in the small cooler, but people are saying that the carton can't even be damaged. Feels like if they were out of the carton, it would be easier for them to check? 

I almost don't want to bring them now lol!

Guest BasicSailor
6 hours ago, mmtska said:

So there's a bit of a back and forth on my fb page for my upcoming cruise about bringing cans of soda on board. Some people are saying that it MUST be in the original containers. Others are saying that they've brought them randomly, such as in a cooler. We planned to bring cans with us in a small cooler (based on the 12x12x12 listed in the FAQ), since it was kind of a pain to lug around two 12 packs last time, but I also don't want them to throw away 24 cans of soda at the port. 

We're departing from Port Canaveral if that makes a difference, since some people said it could be based on port... I've stared at the FAQs and I *think* I'll be ok with them in the small cooler, but people are saying that the carton can't even be damaged. Feels like if they were out of the carton, it would be easier for them to check? 

I almost don't want to bring them now lol!

It is based on the port.

When the rules changed years back to the cooler size, they took my 12x13 cooler with radio and on wheels, this thing was a Cadillac. Security must have had a rummage sale on coolers the next day, they confiscated several before mine. They offer you a trash bag for your cans of soda if you feel like lugging that around with your luggage.🤣

Edited by BasicSailor
Tater chip selection

Last time my wife and I brought on soda during embarkation, they opened our factory sealed 12-pack case to make sure it was all Coke Zero in there. They had little strips of tape made up to re-seal them.

Incidentally we didn't drink them and ended up leaving them for the steward so we don't carry on two 12-packs anymore. We might pick up a few cans in Nassau or whatever our first stop is, but the hassle of carrying on soda isn't worth it for us anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Last time my wife and I brought on soda during embarkation, they opened our factory sealed 12-pack case to make sure it was all Coke Zero in there. They had little strips of tape made up to re-seal them.

Incidentally we didn't drink them and ended up leaving them for the steward so we don't carry on two 12-packs anymore. We might pick up a few cans in Nassau or whatever our first stop is, but the hassle of carrying on soda isn't worth it for us anymore.

I drink a LOT of Coke Zero. This would probably be a good time to detox, but it's also my caffeine supply and I'll be miserable if I don't have it. Why they would open a still sealed carton seems silly. Thanks!

4 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

It is based on the port.

When the rules changed years back to the cooler size, they took my 12x13 cooler with radio and on wheels, this thing was a Cadillac. Security must have had a rummage sale on coolers the next day, they confiscated several before mine. They offer you a trash bag for your cans of soda if you feel like lugging that around with your luggage.🤣

I made sure it was within the guidelines, and it's soft so it can be folded up. HOPEFULLY Canaveral is a port that won't give me an issue 🙂

22 minutes ago, mmtska said:

I drink a LOT of Coke Zero. This would probably be a good time to detox, but it's also my caffeine supply and I'll be miserable if I don't have it. Why they would open a still sealed carton seems silly. Thanks!

You can bring on 12 per person per port. So embarkation and each port of call you can buy another 12 pack and bring them on if you want. Now that most (if not all) the ships have a fridge in the room I wouldn't worry about a cooler. If you want ice, room service or the steward will bring you ice in a bucket.

2 minutes ago, Bananas27 said:

Years ago I used to give the 12 packs of soda to the luggage check-in with a luggage tag on it.  Will the porters still take them?  Not a fan of Pepsi products:(

I just saw that Carnival went to Pepsi. Not for me, so now I will have to take on a 12 of Diet Coke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, mmtska said:

.....Why they would open a still sealed carton seems silly. Thanks!

Because some people know he trick of carefully opening the end, replacing all the soda with beer cans, leaving just the 2-4 you can see from the carrying slot visible as soda. Then using a hot glue gun to reseal. (at least that's what I've heard)

• Haha 1

Guest BasicSailor
12 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

You can bring 12 cans  pp at embarkation as well as another 12 pp from a port stop. 

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

You can bring on 12 per person per port. So embarkation and each port of call you can buy another 12 pack and bring them on if you want. Now that most (if not all) the ships have a fridge in the room I wouldn't worry about a cooler. If you want ice, room service or the steward will bring you ice in a bucket.

Can someone share a link as to where they allow you to bring a 12 pack of soda at each port of call.

I can't seem to recall they allowed this from any port of call. Each time we tried we had to drink our canned Pepsi product before we boarded, or they would store them until debarkation. As we were told it's not allowed.

23 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Can someone share a link as to where they allow you to bring a 12 pack of soda at each port of call.

I can't seem to recall they allowed this from any port of call...

You are correct as per the Carnival FAQ page here: https://www.carnival.com/help   

Bringing Liquor and Beverages On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages that are packaged in glass or plastic bottles.

On embarkation day, a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, energy drinks, juice, and milk), packaged in cans or cartons, may be brought on board and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less, per person. I've read many posts about people restocking on sodas while in ports and I am sure people do it. I've just never noticed.

The caveat is embarkation screening is done by a private firm, not TSA. The experiences we've had is all over the board. We've carried loose cans and sealed cartons only to have the later opened up and inspected.

We also carry a Yeti soft-side cooler with us as a carry-on for sundries or pressed in a suitcase. Then we open it up, load our drinks and ask the cabin steward to keep it filled with ice. That's been our go to plan for at least a dozen cruises since the Yeti's were introduced.

I guess the take-away is there is no norm.

3 hours ago, BasicSailor said:

I can't seem to recall they allowed this from any port of call. Each time we tried we had to drink our canned Pepsi product before we boarded, or they would store them until debarkation. As we were told it's not allowed.

if it was opened that might have been your issue. they dont know what you mixed in that can.

Guest BasicSailor
38 minutes ago, Denverdonkeys said:

if it was opened that might have been your issue. they dont know what you mixed in that can.

12 pack CANS of Pepsi. We hate coke products.

Guest BasicSailor
3 hours ago, BallFour4 said:

You are correct as per the Carnival FAQ page here: https://www.carnival.com/help   

Bringing Liquor and Beverages On Board - Embarkation

Guests are prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages that are packaged in glass or plastic bottles.

On embarkation day, a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, energy drinks, juice, and milk), packaged in cans or cartons, may be brought on board and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less, per person. I've read many posts about people restocking on sodas while in ports and I am sure people do it. I've just never noticed.

The caveat is embarkation screening is done by a private firm, not TSA. The experiences we've had is all over the board. We've carried loose cans and sealed cartons only to have the later opened up and inspected.

We also carry a Yeti soft-side cooler with us as a carry-on for sundries or pressed in a suitcase. Then we open it up, load our drinks and ask the cabin steward to keep it filled with ice. That's been our go to plan for at least a dozen cruises since the Yeti's were introduced.

I guess the take-away is there is no norm.

Thank you, I knew I had never read that on their site. 👍 And if anyone had found it on paper, I would make a copy to show them when boarding.

Guest BasicSailor
Just now, Denverdonkeys said:

then you dont need to bring on products, since carnival switched.

Yes, I know that this was at a port of call before the switch.