New COVID testing procedures??

miami mama

I am sure Viking is going to have to find a way to balance their protocols with gaining revenue and attracting passengers who want to continue cruising with them, but find the protocols that were sensible last year, now somewhat outdated. As mentioned by cruisers on this board, many are holding off until some protocols are revised.

At the end of the day, Viking is intended to be a premium vacation experience.  While it is important to maintain safe cruising, that fact that other premium cruise lines have less restrictions in place and have still maintained low case numbers, it is starting to make Viking a less attractive cruise experience. If people are paying a lot of money, and had a choice of going on a ship where you embark and then have to  be quarantined in their cabin for 5 hours, and then having to wake up every morning at 8am on their vacation to provide a salvia sample, vs other lines that you can just embark with prior testing and start enjoying your cruise experience while still being diligent, I think most will go with the later, especially with most of the world reopening.

Edited by oceancruiser20
  • Like 10

Well said Oceancruiser20 - I agree but you get people who are now paranoid and want to keep things as they are now.  Viking is an outlier and they will lose revenue (and incur more testing costs than needed) if they do not change

• Like 7

20 hours ago, uktog said:

Well said Oceancruiser20 - I agree but you get people who are now paranoid and want to keep things as they are now.  Viking is an outlier and they will lose revenue (and incur more testing costs than needed) if they do not change

Or Viking decides it makes marketing sense to remain an outlier and position itself as the cruise line of choice for people who still want as many precautions as possible. I’m definitely not in this camp, and this will be our last Viking cruise so long as they continue to take this route. But given Viking’s demographic, they may believe these more extensive precautions give them a profitable niche, and they may be right. I hope that’s not the case because I’d like to cruise with them again, but time will tell. 

• Like 5

We are with you Twitchly.  Will miss Viking if that happens but will not pay thousands for such "pleasantries".  And if Viking is to be profitable again they need much more than 200-300 passengers.  Even 600 is probably not profitable.  Time will tell.  🍸

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

We are with you Twitchly.  Will miss Viking if that happens but will not pay thousands for such "pleasantries".  And if Viking is to be profitable again they need much more than 200-300 passengers.  Even 600 is probably not profitable.  Time will tell.  🍸

Agree. We were fine with the rules last year (Iceland and Panama Canal), but our recent Northern Lights cruise was much more restrictive than last year’s cruises (even thought Norway had cancelled all Covid restrictions). We’ve decided not to book anymore cruises with Viking until the rules match the world conditions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Australia08 said:

Agree. We were fine with the rules last year (Iceland and Panama Canal), but our recent Northern Lights cruise was much more restrictive than last year’s cruises (even thought Norway had cancelled all Covid restrictions). We’ve decided not to book anymore cruises with Viking until the rules match the world conditions.

You are correct.  We did Bermuda and Rome-Barcelona-San Juan (last Nov/Dec).  The current environment is unreal - Viking sadly is standing out as the outlier.  But as someone else said, perhaps that is by intent.

On another note - I had queried Tellus Viking - asking why on our upcoming March 23 cruise on MyVikingJourney it says 2 different things:  PCR test within 72 hours of Boarding your First Flight outbound and also PCR test within 72 hours of Boarding the ship itself.   The Viking person could not explain that.  He said the more restrictive one will be followed however.  I explained that means for a cruise out of US Port (FLL), we have to get a PCR test at home, fly across the county, get another test on the pier (yes in FLL that is what he said), then step on the ship and get still another PCR test.

Does this make us all "safe" and prevent hospitals from filling up?  (Rhetorical question).

The absurdity with each passing day is getting sad.  If we didn't want to get out of Dodge so badly . . .

Their ship, their rules, their holding our money.   No choice.

31 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

You are correct.  We did Bermuda and Rome-Barcelona-San Juan (last Nov/Dec).  The current environment is unreal - Viking sadly is standing out as the outlier.  But as someone else said, perhaps that is by intent.

On another note - I had queried Tellus Viking - asking why on our upcoming March 23 cruise on MyVikingJourney it says 2 different things:  PCR test within 72 hours of Boarding your First Flight outbound and also PCR test within 72 hours of Boarding the ship itself.   The Viking person could not explain that.  He said the more restrictive one will be followed however.  I explained that means for a cruise out of US Port (FLL), we have to get a PCR test at home, fly across the county, get another test on the pier (yes in FLL that is what he said), then step on the ship and get still another PCR test.

Does this make us all "safe" and prevent hospitals from filling up?  (Rhetorical question).

The absurdity with each passing day is getting sad.  If we didn't want to get out of Dodge so badly . . .

Their ship, their rules, their holding our money.   No choice.

We’re aware of the MVJ inconsistency. But we’re OK either way. Our PCR tests are on a Friday; our first flight is the next day (a Saturday); and boarding occurs the following Monday. So we meet the 72-hour requirement regardless of how Viking tolls the clock.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SJD117 said:

We’re aware of the MVJ inconsistency. But we’re OK either way. Our PCR tests are on a Friday; our first flight is the next day (a Saturday); and boarding occurs the following Monday. So we meet the 72-hour requirement regardless of how Viking tolls the clock.

So you’re doing the rapid version of the PCR test. I am thinking we may have to do the same, since we fly out on a Friday afternoon and embark on a Monday. It is unfortunate because the rapid PCR is a good bit more expensive than the ”slower” PCR test. Still, that would be less nerve-wracking than trying to squeeze in a test in Venice the morning we embark. 

3 minutes ago, Eggtuary said:

So you’re doing the rapid version of the PCR test. I am thinking we may have to do the same, since we fly out on a Friday afternoon and embark on a Monday. It is unfortunate because the rapid PCR is a good bit more expensive than the ”slower” PCR test. Still, that would be less nerve-wracking than trying to squeeze in a test in Venice the morning we embark. 

We have a four-hour turnaround time for results from CVS. It’s $150/pp where we live, but a lot cheaper than at the airport — and we get the results, good or bad, the day before we fly. That seemed like the best way to manage the testing requirement.

• Like 1

We also depart on Viking on a Monday from San Juan. Going to get a PCR test the Friday before at home so the test is within the 72 hour window prior to sailing. But do I actually need to know the results on Friday? Most free tests give results within 24-48 hours. We will be in San Juan by then but if I have the test results to show Viking on Monday (and of course hope negative) isn’t that ok?

2 hours ago, crimmj said:

We also depart on Viking on a Monday from San Juan. Going to get a PCR test the Friday before at home so the test is within the 72 hour window prior to sailing. But do I actually need to know the results on Friday? Most free tests give results within 24-48 hours. We will be in San Juan by then but if I have the test results to show Viking on Monday (and of course hope negative) isn’t that ok?

Do the free PCR tests still provide results in 24-48 hours when that time period includes a weekend?  I assumed that they didn’t but I would love to be mistaken!

17 minutes ago, Eggtuary said:

Do the free PCR tests still provide results in 24-48 hours when that time period includes a weekend?  I assumed that they didn’t but I would love to be mistaken!

We don’t get free PCR tests here for travel—only for showing symptoms, or needing to get before a medical procedure. You’re fortunate if you get free tests!

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 3:35 PM, JessM66 said:

Does the communication specifically say they are dropping the daily testing, or are you saying the communication doesn’t mention daily testing so you are assuming it’s being dropped….a bit of a difference.

We’re on board now and testing continues daily. No big deal at all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eggtuary said:

Yes. 

• Like 1

I guess the question is, if hypothetically Viking revised their protocols tomorrow, and aligned with the rest of the cruise industry, would those that are very much for the current policies, would they cancel or forgo booking a Viking cruise, or would they still go?

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, NanciEA said:

Are they still doing contact tracing? That is what got a group of passengers sent home on our Iceland cruise last August. They were on the same tour bus as someone who tested positive.

I believe so.  We had it on our Dec cruise and I've heard others traveling in Jan-Feb-Mar who say they have contact tracing as well.   Not sure if contact tracing has nabbed anyone for awhile though.  You don't hear as much about negative tested "guilt by association" passengers being kicked off or quarantined anymore.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 9:40 AM, Jim Avery said:

I think the protocols Viking originally put in place helped restore confidence in cruising. But with increased vaccination rates (actually 100% for VOC passengers), higher natural immunity, and restrictions being reduced or eliminated at increasing rates, I think Viking's protocols might work against them as competition relaxes its requirements. I won't book another Viking cruise until this onslaught of testing is reduced or eliminated to reflect the prevailing conditions seen in the countries in the cruise itinerary.

I check in with MVJ most days now (I am about 4 months pre-cruise and watching for excursion options) in anticipation of the protocols being reduced .... but no significant changes so far.

OTOH, I should just focus on having a wonderful time with wonderful people in wonderful places.

• Like 6

23 hours ago, crimmj said:

I have wondered about this as well. I thought if I don’t get my results back in time for my flight, that I would self test to make sure I am negative when I leave, and then the results would arrive before embarkation.  We are traveling three days before embarkation so it gives us a little leeway. My instructions from Viking states 72 hours before outbound flight, it no longer mentions “first Viking activity”.

Edited by biggerbearmom

1 hour ago, biggerbearmom said:

I have wondered about this as well. I thought if I don’t get my results back in time for my flight, that I would self test to make sure I am negative when I leave, and then the results would arrive before embarkation.  We are traveling three days before embarkation so it gives us a little leeway. My instructions from Viking states 72 hours before outbound flight, it no longer mentions “first Viking activity”.

Ours says 1st Viking activity AND outbound flight (contradictory) for our March 23 cruise (FLL). Spoke with Viking tell us.  They acknowledged the discrepancy but said in no way is it outbound d flight.  That was old .  It is 72 hours from boarding ship or 1st Viking activity.  Makes a big difference.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Ours says 1st Viking activity AND outbound flight (contradictory) for our March 23 cruise (FLL). Spoke with Viking tell us.  They acknowledged the discrepancy but said in no way is it outbound d flight.  That was old .  It is 72 hours from boarding ship or 1st Viking activity.  Makes a big difference.

That’s a change again, we had the same inconsistency on our Northern Lights cruise due to start this weekend and Viking updated the guidance to 72 hours before first flight.  72 hours before boarding ship was impossible for so many and they’d acted on feedback. I think Tellus has mixed scripts 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, biggerbearmom said:

first Viking activity is still referenced under the FAQ section in Health and Safety, according to that you still need to test if travelling independently 

18 hours ago, DGHOC said:

No there are plenty of others here!

Yes; Viking's Covid policies were a large positive influence on us.

Nothing that Viking does on board limits or hinders our enjoyment; Italy's rules are much more stringent. Today we're in Croatia, where we were told that mask types weren't so strictly regimented--in Italy KN95 is required, in Croatia it's looser.

We're having an incredible trip and, given the choice to postpone our trip, would have made the same choice. We're glad we're here, and the crowds have been nonexistent. We were in the Pantheon with about 10 people; we were in the Sistine Chapel with perhaps 40 others; even the Colosseum was much less crowded than normal.

• Like 2