New COVID testing procedures??

miami mama

I admire your positivity longterm, well done that man! Think we could all do with a little bit more of it at the moment!

We've travelled through France and Italy when able to during this pandemic and much appreciated the decreased numbers of tourists. Paris was an absolute joy when almost empty. Rome at this time of year is always a delight!

I hope you continue to really savour every moment!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Ours says 1st Viking activity AND outbound flight (contradictory) for our March 23 cruise (FLL). Spoke with Viking tell us.  They acknowledged the discrepancy but said in no way is it outbound d flight.  That was old .  It is 72 hours from boarding ship or 1st Viking activity.  Makes a big difference.

As you can see from our departure requirements, it only mentions the outbound flight.

0DEF2C2F-3DCA-4CE0-9B8B-3BEE9F23AF5B.thumb.jpeg.7ee8401ecc527ac58348c5ffd2d06089.jpeg

1 hour ago, biggerbearmom said:

As you can see from our departure requirements, it only mentions the outbound flight.

I see the same on my March 1st update for Norway - also only mentions the outbound flight.

I searched through resources, and there is no longer any mention of additional testing prior to first "Viking activity" if traveling independently. To eliminate any confusion, I got the following in writing from Viking, when I questioned them regarding my planned 1 day deviation before scheduled pre-excursion ... and I quote ...

"Thank you for your recent online inquiry.  We hope this finds you and your family well. Currently Viking requires that all guests need to have either a PCR test 72 hours, or an Antigen test 24 hours,  prior to boarding your first outbound flight from the US.  Once you arrive at your pre extension hotel, depending upon the requirements at the time of your itinerary, you may be tested there. You will be tested again when arriving at the ship." 

For my own situation I will decipher it as follows:

• Get PCR test on morning of Tuesday 6/28 (will satisfy 72-hour Viking requirement)
  • Fly from USA to Oslo, Norway on evening of Thursday 6/30 -> arrive late-morning of Friday 7/1 (local time)
  • We are doing an overnight independent stay (deviation) on Friday 7/1
  • Meet up with Pre-extension program some time on Saturday 7/2 "you may be tested there" (see above)
  • Embarkation in Bergen, Norway on Wednesday 7/6. Boarding Test.

Considering all the different itineraries, countries and their requirements that Viking has to deal with, I think the company is doing a reasonable job of keeping things up-to-date, but as customers I think we do have to be diligent and keep on top of them 🙂

Viking_Travel_Requirements_Norway.png

• Like 1

Did you pull up the FAQ?  It is hidden in there under testing.  Ours still says “if traveling independently..” a pcr or antigen test is required before boarding.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, PRH said:

Did you pull up the FAQ?  It is hidden in there under testing.  Ours still says “if traveling independently..” a pcr or antigen test is required before boarding.

Yeah, I see that now. If that remains the case, we can get an antigen test at the Oslo airport on arrival day (although I wonder if the written answer [with name/title of a rep] I got to the specific question I asked them will override this). Somehow, I think there are more changes coming over the next few weeks/months - so patience is a virtue I need to develop on this matter!

I just found this verbiage, but it is contrary to what is stated in my Pre-Departure Check List. I wonder if they failed to update the FAQ?  I will be following the instructions on the check list, if there’s a problem on embarkation I will point out the instructions. The whole point of the instructions and a checklist is so that one is clear on what needs to be done. Shouldn’t have to search through FAQ’s…

Edited by biggerbearmom
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, biggerbearmom said:

I just found this verbiage, but it is contrary to what is stated in my Pre-Departure Check List. I wonder if they failed to update the FAQ?  I will be following the instructions on the check list, if there’s a problem on embarkation I will point out the instructions. The whole point of the instructions and a checklist is so that one is clear on what needs to be done. Shouldn’t have to search through FAQ’s…

I 100% agree with you.  We are thinking about do the same thing.  Our ship leaves on June 15th from Athens, but we arrive in Athens on June 12th.  Our flight and stay in Athens is independent.  Our Pre-Departure Check List say the same thing and how many people are going to read all the FAQs.

12 minutes ago, tigger8792 said:

I 100% agree with you.  We are thinking about do the same thing.  Our ship leaves on June 15th from Athens, but we arrive in Athens on June 12th.  Our flight and stay in Athens is independent.  Our Pre-Departure Check List say the same thing and how many people are going to read all the FAQs.

Can you look and see if you can still see your Pre-Departure Check List PDF file (my last visible one was dated 3/1/22). I just looked in MVJ and can no longer see mine.

7 minutes ago, SailorPaulH said:

Can you look and see if you can still see your Pre-Departure Check List PDF file (my last visible one was dated 3/1/22). I just looked in MVJ and can no longer see mine.

We cruise 13 March and all the information has gone from our MVJ

If I am paying £100 for tests tomorrow.......

1 hour ago, SailorPaulH said:

Yes I can still see ours.

I also read this and Greece doesn't even require this: 

4. Complete Greek Passenger Locator Form, found here: https://travel.gov.gr/#/user/login (at least 48 hours before departure) - For additional information regarding Greece’s entry requirements, visit: https://travel.gov.gr/#/

But it does say this at the bottom:

If you are traveling independently, please ensure you review local requirements for the countries you are visiting. Before joining your first Viking activity you must meet Viking’s testing requirements, listed in the Resource section below. 

What I highlighted does make you think we should get tested in Athens.  I have read it is easy to get tested in Athens.

I just hope things change by then or we will have to jump through all the hoops.  We had to when we went to Hawaii December 2020 and when we went on a Celerity cruise this summer. 

We are on the Orion right now. Yesterday when we boarded, facemasks were required whenever you were outside your cabin unless eating or drinking. Today the Viking Daily states that face masks are optional! This was also stated by the Cruise Director during the daily announcement

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

We are on the Orion right now. Yesterday when we boarded, facemasks were required whenever you were outside your cabin unless eating or drinking. Today the Viking Daily states that face masks are optional! This was also stated by the Cruise Director during the daily announcement

1 hour ago, florafun said:

But they’re still testing you every day, right?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, biggerbearmom said:

See the screen shots of my Viking chat from today regarding BinaxNow Ag rapid test as well as confirmation of no extra testing for independent travel.

AF04D53C-8D52-48CE-B3CF-70858638487C.jpeg

FE233E7D-DDBB-46F5-97DD-DFFB49860125.jpeg

And I got a call yesterday from Viking saying that I needed to take my test no more than 72 hours before we board the ship. So they’re not consistent. 🙁

17 minutes ago, Eggtuary said:

And I got a call yesterday from Viking saying that I needed to take my test no more than 72 hours before we board the ship. So they’re not consistent. 🙁

The response from my chat today confirms what is stated in my departure instructions. My instructions specifically state 72 hours from outbound flight with no mention of independent travel. Now that I’ve put that to rest I can start on a packing list. 😁

Edited by biggerbearmom

Biggerbearmom, please let me know how the Binax testing goes. I also received notice that as long as it was laboratory certified......but they could not confirm that Binax met their requirements. They could only tell me that the 3 they recommend on their website were acceptable. 

Would much prefer using the supervised at-home Binax testing and looking forward to hearing how this works out for you. 

I spoke to a very good Viking agent this afternoon and got the clarification to the discrepancies.

Whether you need PCR 72 hours from outbound flight or 72 hours from first Viking activity (usually boarding the ship).

As of today, most itineraries, because of the lessening of restrictions in the initial port city/country, are now only requiring 72 hours from outbound flight.  That is why those of you on previous posts who are mostly going to Europe don't see any reference to 72 hours from boarding the ship.

Sadly, it is the U.S.A. that is the culprit.  If you are boarding a cruise ship in America (i.e. Fort Lauderdale), the U.S. requirement is 72 hours from boarding the ship and NOT 72 hours from your outbound flight.

So now we know the real story!   Whether America will change or not in the future is something we'll have to watch for, but as of today, we are the most restrictive country.

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

Sadly, it is the U.S.A. that is the culprit.  If you are boarding a cruise ship in America (i.e. Fort Lauderdale), the U.S. requirement is 72 hours from boarding the ship and NOT 72 hours from your outbound flight.

Do you have an authority to cite for such a requirement by the U.S.?  For ships embarking from the U.S., Celebrity requires vaccinated guests to test within two days of boarding the ship (PCR test or rapid antigen). The same for NCL.   And the same for Holland America.  I stopped checking other cruise lines after that.  Apologies if I've misunderstood what you were saying about U.S. requirements and 72 hours.

1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

I spoke to a very good Viking agent this afternoon and got the clarification to the discrepancies.

Whether you need PCR 72 hours from outbound flight or 72 hours from first Viking activity (usually boarding the ship).

As of today, most itineraries, because of the lessening of restrictions in the initial port city/country, are now only requiring 72 hours from outbound flight.  That is why those of you on previous posts who are mostly going to Europe don't see any reference to 72 hours from boarding the ship.

So now we know the real story!   Whether America will change or not in the future is something we'll have to watch for, but as of today, we are the most restrictive country.

I’m flying from the U.S. to board in Italy, so that doesn’t explain the discrepancy in my case. 

2 hours ago, miami mama said:

Biggerbearmom, please let me know how the Binax testing goes. I also received notice that as long as it was laboratory certified......but they could not confirm that Binax met their requirements. They could only tell me that the 3 they recommend on their website were acceptable. 

Would much prefer using the supervised at-home Binax testing and looking forward to hearing how this works out for you. 

I will definitely report back after boarding on April 7th. Possibly the reason that Viking cites Laboratory Certified is to differentiate between the  non supervised,  non verified covid test. You can see my results from a BinaxNOW test that I took last month for a cruise to Mexico, it clearly states Lab Results and has a signature by a Lab Director.708BA259-14BB-407E-97C0-C1D8D1991453.thumb.png.9557ded20c6e5c5bb8bf8d6618547ca3.png

Edited by biggerbearmom
  • Like 1

I can now see lots of new wording in a new tab called explore safely on MVJ
Most significant is the use of the word “May”. Eg masks may be required.

Re onboard testing it says MAY require UP TO daily testing 

Test for boarding remains but no mention of quarantine 

I don’t know if this was previously required but boosters are required where eligible- so that’s going to depend on your country and it says verifly will check that.  (No problem we’ve passed that hurdle today and got our codes

Im only saying what I’m seeing on my document which given its other wording was clearly written for UK guests.  Hope yours is similar but it’s clear Viking is moving to live with covid not control it. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 4:01 PM, oceancruiser20 said:

I guess the question is, if hypothetically Viking revised their protocols tomorrow, and aligned with the rest of the cruise industry, would those that are very much for the current policies, would they cancel or forgo booking a Viking cruise, or would they still go?

You mean, the rest of the cruise industry where onboard Covid surges are common and frequent?

I wouldn't want to be part of the petri dishes that are common with other cruise lines.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, uktog said:

I can now see lots of new wording in a new tab called explore safely on MVJ
Most significant is the use of the word “May”. Eg masks may be required.

Re onboard testing it says MAY require UP TO daily testing 

Test for boarding remains but no mention of quarantine 

I don’t know if this was previously required but boosters are required where eligible- so that’s going to depend on your country and it says verifly will check that.  (No problem we’ve passed that hurdle today and got our codes

Im only saying what I’m seeing on my document which given its other wording was clearly written for UK guests.  Hope yours is similar but it’s clear Viking is moving to live with covid not control it. 

Ours said that as well, but, like the cruise we took w/ Viking in December in the Caribbean, we're required to do daily saliva tests (which are not a big deal at all). In Italy, we're required to return to the ship through the terminal--we weren't required to do that yesterday in Croatia. 

Our guides have been vigilant in keeping us in the group and not escaping the bubble; I was given about 2 minutes to duck into a toy store for something for my grandson (and me!).