Russian Sanctions to include cruise business?

mmcguir

3 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Thanks.  That looks like  pretty nice itinerary, but then I don't know what it looked like before.

It is a pretty nice itinerary; just not fantastic like the previous version; I keep thinking they could have done something to wow us in return for not going to Russia; not adding two ports that we are going to on different segments.  One thing that Regent could do to wow us (at least me) is to take advantage of the overnight in Edinburgh to have the shoreside event for all Grand Voyagers be a fancy dinner and then Tatoo; sort of like night of tennis during the Australia Circumnavigation Grand Voyage.  

I will make lemonade tomorrow.

Marc

• Like 1

We received the new itinerary.

I personally didn’t think the three Russian ports were that fabulous. I’m happy with the new itinerary and although I’ve been to Edinburgh and Bruges I’ll have no problem finding something different to see. 

8 hours ago, mrlevin said:

One thing that Regent could do to wow us (at least me) is to take advantage of the overnight in Edinburgh to have the shoreside event for all Grand Voyagers be a fancy dinner and then Tatoo; sort of like night of tennis during the Australia Circumnavigation Grand Voyage.  

I suspect Regent would have problems arranging something like that since the weekend we will be there is the opening of the Edinburgh International Festival (and the Edinburgh Fringe).  The city is likely to be packed.

Edinburgh International Festival - Edinburgh Festival City

Apologies, I left it too late to edit my previous post.  But on reflection, perhaps Regent have already taken this into account and the reason we're staying overnight is because they have secured someting special for us.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 4

23 hours ago, mrstanley said:

We received the new itinerary.

I personally didn’t think the three Russian ports were that fabulous. I’m happy with the new itinerary and although I’ve been to Edinburgh and Bruges I’ll have no problem finding something different to see. 

Mr. Stanley, why would you book one of the most expensive itineraries Regent has and not look forward to the very ports that make it so expensive?  Have you noticed this sailing which had been waitlisted now has plenty (?) of inventory after the cancellation of the three Russian ports?  If I weren't on the entire Grand Voyage I would certainly cancel this segment looking to book again in the future.

Just my two cents,

Marc

@liptastic that's a real shame!  Jean, one of these days our paths will cross and we'll find ourselves on the same deck at the same time, I hope - or drinking a wee dram somewhere, which was my first thought when I spotted a message from you.  We've just got to get better at planning our itineraries, haven't we?!

18 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

Is the June 30th Regent Seven Seas Splendor going to Helsinki rather than St. Peterburg?  

June 30th Splendor cruise has been cancelled; combined with 21 June cruise.  You should have received notification.

On 3/15/2022 at 10:44 AM, GOARMY said:

scseas:

Helsinki is a gem.  Wonderful time of year.  You will be able to read a book at Midnight--in the Pool Grill area--without aid of artificial light.  

One tour I would caution--if it is available.  That is "Helsinki by Sea and Fortress Island".   When we did this in 2019, it was at additional cost ($103.00).  Thank-you, OBC.  

Anyway, it was a hurried-harried five hour rush rush from one site to the next--plus need to take a ferry to access Fortress Island.  And then, of course, catch that commercial ferry back to the Mainland to keep on schedule.  Our Guide was not-gracious when moving the group (around 25 folks) at a rapid pace.  The Tour's overview did caution folks that a lot of walking (over uneven ground) would be required.  Totally accurate.  

We made that return ferry connection back to the Mainland by about 1-minute, I kid you not.  Wife and self then "bailed-out".  Enough rush.  After notifying the Guide,  and at our own leisure pace--walked around a section of the waterfront; and enjoyed a coffee and pastry.  Then--gravitated to a bus stop which showed a route to the Pier where Explorer was docked.  Not-surprisingly--several of our comrades had also bailed.  Our group joined with another from a Princess ship docked near ours.  Had a quiet ride back to Explorer, arriving before the rest of the Fortress Island group. 

I did make note of our experience to appropriate Staff.  Too many stops; too little time.  And, somewhat lack of civility exhibited by the Guide.  That could have been a one-off situation; so take it for whatever it has cost you to review my review.  

Several other stops at Helsinki on earlier cruises--none of which involved an overnight.  The main city area offers several options, to include a tour of a Military Museum with emphasis on the 1939-1940 Winter War with the USSR.  Now--more poignant that ever in light of current events. 

GOARMY!

Goarmy and UUnetbill:

I just downloaded the excursion list for our July stop at Helsinki on Splendor.  Naturally the most interesting excursion for us is "Helsinki by Sea and Fortress Island", a $109 excursion.  There are actually two excursions to Fortress Island and neither appears to be exactly the excursion you described.  

The $109 excursion appears to use a tourist boat for a guided cruise through the archipelago to Suomenlinna.  The tour of the fortress ends with free time for personal exploration before returning to the tour boat.  This is a 3.5 hour tour, less than the five hours you mentioned in your review.  Aside from the unknown graciousness of the guide this appears to be almost Regent's response to your issues with your tour.  What do you think?

There is another "free" tour, titled "Suomenlinna Fortress".  This 3.0 hour tour takes a public ferry to and from the fortress.

You wrote about the rush rush from one site to the next.  Was that all on the Fortress Island or were there other sites visited on that tour?

5 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

Goarmy and UUnetbill:

I just downloaded the excursion list for our July stop at Helsinki on Splendor.  Naturally the most interesting excursion for us is "Helsinki by Sea and Fortress Island", a $109 excursion. 

jeb, still no excursions for our July stop in Helsinki on Navigator.  Can you let me know if you have any evening tours for your overnight in Helsinki?

thanks,

Marc

Edited by mrlevin

39 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

jeb, still no excursions for our July stop in Helsinki on Navigator.  Can you let me know if you have any evening tours for your overnight in Helsinki?

thanks,

Marc

We can book tomorrow, probably same trip as Jeb. Didn't see any evening choices.

There's Suomenlinna Fortress, Picturesque Porvoo, Scenic Helsinki Harbor Cruise. We'll probably try to book the latter, plus the Choice version of Highlights of Helsinki.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

jeb_bud;

Ours was also $109.00 ea.  Perhaps, Regent read my initial on-board comments; plus mentioning same to the Destinations Dept.  Perhaps others in our group that took an early exit did the same.  However, the bottom line appears the 2022 version of this excursion is very similar to ours.  

Fortunately, retained Destination Services' brochure for each Tour.  Helped refresh my recollection. 

Our tour was also slated for 3.5--not five--hours.  It seemed longer than that.  Our water transportation appeared to be an island ferry making a milk run back and forth to the Suomenlinna "fortification island".   This was on Sunday afternoon.  Very-busy.  We shared that vessel with numerous other souls and various pets not associated with Regent; as well as another Regent tour group doing the "Scenic Helsinki Harbor Cruise".  That one was at no charge, and shown in the Destination Services brochure to be 2.5 hours.     

Our "free time for personal exploration" was limited to being directed to public lavatory facilities at a tourist area when on Fortress Island.  Again, the Destinations Dept description showed this to be 1/2 hour.  About right, to account for stragglers in our group.  Honestly--cannot remember what else we saw when on that island.  I do recall we had to really hustle to make that ferry back to the Harbor.  

GOARMY!

11 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

We can book tomorrow, probably same trip as Jeb. Didn't see any evening choices.

There's Suomenlinna Fortress, Picturesque Porvoo, Scenic Helsinki Harbor Cruise. We'll probably try to book the latter, plus the Choice version of Highlights of Helsinki.

We'll probably see you on Highlights of Helsinki.

When I downloaded the list yesterday there was a disclaimer that it was a list of past excursions.  Keeping my fingers crossed that tomorrow's official list will include some nice evening options.

jeb_bud:  

Reference your last--I checked with my wife on this one.  Honestly, we cannot recall any other stops--other than, once back on the Mainland, our group went one way led by the Guide toward a tourist area near the Pier; we went the other way--to a bus stop, for transportation back to Explorer.  

GOARMY!

7 minutes ago, GOARMY said:

jeb_bud:  

Reference your last--I checked with my wife on this one.  Honestly, we cannot recall any other stops--other than, once back on the Mainland, our group went one way led by the Guide toward a tourist area near the Pier; we went the other way--to a bus stop, for transportation back to Explorer.  

GOARMY!

Thanks GoArmy,

It seems like the only difference, maybe, is a private tour boat in place of the public ferry.  Hmm.