ANY CURRENT VISITS TO SAN JUAN?

Froufie

So is San Juan open to cruise ship visits or not? I am hearing that you need a covid test 48 hrs prior in order to visit, and as this is not being provided onboard this stop is being cancelled? (I have had not notice of this yet for my upcoming cruise in 3 weeks!).

I also note the absence of any information about San Juan on Celebrity's 'travel requirements' web page (It is not on the list for 'only tours by Celebrity', nor is it on the 'independent - you can do what you like' list?).

Anyone know? Have any recent cruises actually stopped there?  I am cruising in a few weeks (Millennium) and wondering about planning an excursion there? (if in fact we will be stopping!)

Any information greatly appreciated! 🙂

3 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

As we understand it, you can take a cruise from San Juan but there are no day visits or port stops at this time

Thanks for the info - so wondering why our itinerary has not been officially changed,  and why this is not listed on their webpage?  No one on the cruise has so far been notified - wondering if it's a day at sea or some other port?  Who can I contact to find out?  (as if...LOL)

Edited by Froufie

1 minute ago, Froufie said:

Thanks for the info - so wondering why our itinerary has not been officially changed, nor has anyone been notified - wondering if it's a day at sea or some other port?  Who can I contact to find out?  (as if...LOL)

We were scheduled to stop in San Juan in early February.  We got notified on 1/13 for our 2/6 sailing that we'd be going to Nassau on Day 2 and that Day 3 would be a sea day.  We got notified by our travel agent, not directly from Celebrity.

4 minutes ago, Froufie said:

Thanks for the info - so wondering why our itinerary has not been officially changed,  and why this is not listed on their webpage?  No one on the cruise has so far been notified - wondering if it's a day at sea or some other port?  Who can I contact to find out?  (as if...LOL)

Keeping in tune with how they have handled this situation in the past, they will not cancel and change the itinerary until last minute when they have 100% certainty they can't stop there. 

• Like 1

Our January stop got cancelled just a week or two before we sailed.  Requirements change so frequently that they don't cancel until the last minute.  Of course it's not always due to that.  They still showed Grand Cayman and Key West as stops on many cruises well after they knew without a doubt that they couldn't stop there.  My cynical view is that sometimes they leave the ports there because their substitutions are often just a sea day, or a port of much lesser interest.  I think it's a little of both.

12 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

We sail March 6, and they say we will be going to San Juan. Time will tell!

Hate to burst your bubble, but what they say now means nothing unfortunately.  We've even had ports cancelled while we were onboard (this past January).  But fingers crossed for you🙂

12 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Hate to burst your bubble, but what they say now means nothing unfortunately.  We've even had ports cancelled while we were onboard (this past January).  But fingers crossed for you🙂

Truthfully I could care, been there many times. Getting there at 4pm just means we stay on the ship.

1 hour ago, Froufie said:

The article states this isn't not final and we're now 25 days from this announcement; an effective date wasn't even mentioned...Bottom line, the big cruise lines will not bother will Caribbean ports of call that require testing, the port itself will need will remove the testing requirement in order for ships to stop there.

image.thumb.png.a8bb20941bd5b4ac85beea9769ab0831.png

1 hour ago, doodlefan said:

As of right now, the Millennium 10 night sailing in March show no docking in San Juan and are on the port schedule for St. Thomas from noon to 7 pm.  Of course that could change but for now it looks like St. Thomas.

Generally when X announces itinerary changes, arrangements are already in place.  The port is now expecting the tax revenue and will adjust their staffing, therefore it rarely changes back to the original itinerary even if the other port allows ships back in.

8 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Generally when X announces itinerary changes, arrangements are already in place.  The port is now expecting the tax revenue and will adjust their staffing, therefore it rarely changes back to the original itinerary even if the other port allows ships back in.

Celebrity has never changed the itinerary from San Juan to St.Thomas on their sites. It still states San Juan on both March cruises,  But on the port dock schedules, the Millennium is not on the San Juan schedule but IS on the St. Thomas one.  So what, in your opinion, might happen in this case?  If they switch back to San Juan (if its even possible, not sure if they can do that so quickly as you said) they wouldn't have to make an itinerary change announcement at all because they never changed it, or they plan on going to St. Thomas and are just not announcing it until later.

I don't know much about the logistics of changing ports, but maybe they were just putting St. Thomas as an alternative and now that San Juan is an option they just move back.  I actually prefer St. Thomas but it doesn't really matter to me, just curious about it.

2 hours ago, doodlefan said:

As of right now, the Millennium 10 night sailing in March show no docking in San Juan and are on the port schedule for St. Thomas from noon to 7 pm.  Of course that could change but for now it looks like St. Thomas.

2 minutes ago, doodlefan said:

Celebrity has never changed the itinerary from San Juan to St.Thomas on their sites. It still states San Juan on both March cruises,  But on the port dock schedules, the Millennium is not on the San Juan schedule but IS on the St. Thomas one.  So what, in your opinion, might happen in this case?  If they switch back to San Juan (if its even possible, not sure if they can do that so quickly as you said) they wouldn't have to make an itinerary change announcement at all because they never changed it, or they plan on going to St. Thomas and are just not announcing it until later.

I don't know much about the logistics of changing ports, but maybe they were just putting St. Thomas as an alternative and now that San Juan is an option they just move back.  I actually prefer St. Thomas but it doesn't really matter to me, just curious about it.

Interesting - as you mentioned currently shows a stop in San juan - but looks like this is a 'maybe' at this point?  I guess we shall have to wait and see?  a) either a 'real announcement' of a port change before the cruise? or b) a surprise visit to St. Thomas 🙂    Either one works for me!

31 minutes ago, Froufie said:

Interesting - as you mentioned currently shows a stop in San juan - but looks like this is a 'maybe' at this point?  I guess we shall have to wait and see?  a) either a 'real announcement' of a port change before the cruise? or b) a surprise visit to St. Thomas 🙂    Either one works for me!

Me too.  We're fine with either, but I just checked the Feb. 21st sailing on cruise mapper and the Millennium did indeed port in St. Thomas at noon instead of San Juan, but who knows what will happen a month later?  Either way we'll have something planned for each port.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, doodlefan said:

I have no idea; not even sure what the port dock schedule is or how official it is.  I booked the 5th Edge sailing (sailed in July) since the restart primarily as it was going to Honduras.  Shortly after booking I receive an email stating Honduras is replaced by a Sea Day; at the same time, the CC roll call reported a huge price drop.  I emailed the X CEO, LLP three questions, LLPs Exec Team called me and gave me a better understanding of how cruise lines operate.  I'll share my questions and X's answers:

1)  Any likelihood to Honduras being added back?  Extremely doubtful after X announces an itinerary change as revenue and port staffing arrangements have already been made.

2)  At Cozumel, we are there on the same day as RCL and CCL ships who both allow free roam, X requires bubble tours, why?  The port of Cozumel at the time only allowed free roam for the ships who did test cruises and X elected to forfeit test cruising so they restart first and initially offer a somewhat normal experience where no one had to practice social distancing.  (IMO, they received great media exposure for being first in both out the Caribbean with St Maarten and again out of the US).

3)  If you're requiring bubble tours, why are there so few tours to choose from, despite being there 8(?) hours, most only two hours long with none being longer than four hours?  All tours have to meet X's insurance requirements and protocol requirements.  (IMO, that was very unfortunate because many tour operators found it far more profitable to offer "open" tours with less restrictive protocols which were available to both non-bubble-tour cruise passengers and land based tourists)

5 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

I have no idea; not even sure what the port dock schedule is or how official it is.  I booked the 5th Edge sailing (sailed in July) since the restart primarily as it was going to Honduras.  Shortly after booking I receive an email stating Honduras is replaced by a Sea Day; at the same time, the CC roll call reported a huge price drop.  I emailed the X CEO, LLP three questions, LLPs Exec Team called me and gave me a better understanding of how cruise lines operate.  I'll share my questions and X's answers:

1)  Any likelihood to Honduras being added back?  Extremely doubtful after X announces an itinerary change as revenue and port staffing arrangements have already been made.

2)  At Cozumel, we are there on the same day as RCL and CCL ships who both allow free roam, X requires bubble tours, why?  The port of Cozumel at the time only allowed free roam for the ships who did test cruises and X elected to forfeit test cruising so they restart first and initially offer a somewhat normal experience where no one had to practice social distancing.  (IMO, they received great media exposure for being first in both out the Caribbean with St Maarten and again out of the US).

3)  If you're requiring bubble tours, why are there so few tours to choose from, despite being there 8(?) hours, most only two hours long with none being longer than four hours?  All tours have to meet X's insurance requirements and protocol requirements.  (IMO, that was very unfortunate because many tour operators found it far more profitable to offer "open" tours with less restrictive protocols which were available to both non-bubble-tour cruise passengers and land based tourists)

Thanks for your insight.  It's pretty much a guessing game at this point since an itinerary change has not been announced.  I guess we'll find out.  It's not a deal breaker for us so either way! 😁

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, doodlefan said:

Thanks for your insight.  It's pretty much a guessing game at this point since an itinerary change has not been announced.  I guess we'll find out.  It's not a deal breaker for us so either way! 😁

Sounds good, I still went on mine.  Have sailed on two more and have three more booked with X and through 2024, five more booked with CCL.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, doodlefan said:

I was on an Anthem sailing and it originally had San Juan.  Then several weeks before the cruise they changed it on the web sites to say St. Thomas.  I booked the cruise.  When we got to the cruise port to board the cruise they were handing out leaflets saying that instead of St. Thomas we would be docking in San Juan.

This is all to say that when you finally board the ship there is a good chance you will know what ports you will be docking at.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

I was on an Anthem sailing and it originally had San Juan.  Then several weeks before the cruise they changed it on the web sites to say St. Thomas.  I booked the cruise.  When we got to the cruise port to board the cruise they were handing out leaflets saying that instead of St. Thomas we would be docking in San Juan.

This is all to say that when you finally board the ship there is a good chance you will know what ports you will be docking at.

That's because San Juan implemented a Covid testing requirement for cruise ship visits due to the Omicron.  It's inevitable San Juan's testing requirement will disappear but there isn't a solid date announced yet.  There's a variety of reasons why cruises avoid ports requiring on board testing yet to oversimply it, its far easier for the cruise lines to change the port to one that doesn't require on board testing than it is to setup on board testing.