Flights by Celebrity Issues

p18750

I booked flights for my cruise in July and would like to change my flights. I cannot find a way to change my flights online and after being on hold with Flights by Celebrity for 1 1/2 and 2 hours I have been disconnected with no one answering. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Can you go to the airlines website and change your flight there? 

I priced the flights by celebrity and they were the same as if I bought the flights on my own so I really don’t see any sense in using celebrity to book your flights 

What is the advantage? Anyway I hope you get your flight changed 

3 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

What is the advantage? 

From my readings here on CC, there are two advantages of Flights by Celebrity

(1) You can pay over time and have up to you curises final payment date to pay for the flights and cruise

(2). Like shore excursions, Celebrity ensures that you will arrive at the ship in order to sail.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

What is the advantage?

1. If the price goes down before final cruise payment,  you can get the lower price. 

2. Airfare doesn't have to be paid until your final cruise payment is due.

3.  They guarantee to get you to the ship if there are airline delays. 

4. Sometimes the price is less. There are also savings they occasionally have that are possible.  

~ You still earn airline miles

~ You still choose your seats at time of booking (This may be airline dependent though).  I have always been able to.

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DaKahuna said:

(1) You can pay over time and have up to you curises final payment date to pay for the flights and cruise

(2). Like shore excursions, Celebrity ensures that you will arrive at the ship in order to sail.  

Well, for me the price on Celebrity was considerably cheaper than I could find it from the airlines and as DaKahuna noted when you book with Celebrity they guarantee you will make the ship. So if the flight gets delayed or cancelled at the last minute they will still get you there. 

10 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

Can you go to the airlines website and change your flight there? 

I priced the flights by celebrity and they were the same as if I bought the flights on my own so I really don’t see any sense in using celebrity to book your flights 

What is the advantage? Anyway I hope you get your flight changed 

No, at least not for AA. They appear to know the flights were booked by a third party and will not let you change them, they say call the travel agent. 

9 minutes ago, p18750 said:

No, at least not for AA. They appear to know the flights were booked by a third party and will not let you change them, they say call the travel agent. 

For American Airlines you have to make changes with Flights by Celebrity.  

Seats, flights,  etc...

The flight shows up in your American Airlines account as upcoming with the record locator (that Flights by Celebrity will give you when you book).  It won't be ticketed until 20 - 30 days before the flight. After it's ticketed, you can make seat changes just like if you booked direct.  Prior to ticketing, any changes are done through Flights by Celebrity.  

If there is a time change or anything like that, you get notified from Celebrity and the Airline (at least with American).

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Hi

The prices are actually sometimes better than you can get from the airline directly

1)  Just FYI, from what I understand until Final payment is made there is no absolute guarantee that the flight you booked through Flights by Celebrity is the one you get- the airline can change and it is up to you to let Celebrity know (unless it is close to sail date) otherwise you may get stuck with bad flights. Our flights were changed by the airlines several times (I was able to check using the airline confirmation code on the airlines website and I checked every week 3 starting about 5 months prior to my cruise) while the Flights by Celebrity still had my original flights website .  By the time I made Final payment my roundtrip direct flights from YYZ to MIA had changed to connector flights with wonderful 4 hour layovers each way in LGA and also they booked me on 2 different flights on disembarkation day,  both at 7AM;  one that would strand me in ATL and the other with the 4 hour layover in LGA.  We were able to change the flight to a makable 11:20AM (still too early).

Although I have never been cut off each call to Flights by Celebrity is a 1-2 hour wait. 

19 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

17 minutes ago, PinkSandGirl said:

These statements are based on perception people have from reading marketing statements such as "We'll be there for you!".

There is nothing in their terms and conditions that promises that they will cover getting you to the ship if you have flight issues. Like any travel agency, they will assist in rebooking. They do not guarantee to get you to the ship, and they certainly won't hold the ship because you are not there yet (there have been times when they've held ships due to major storms affecting the whole flight system, but that had nothing to do with where the airfare was booked). Also, joining a cruise downstream went away with COVID protocols, and I don't think have or will return soon.

Occasionally, Flights by Celebrity can offer consolidated fares that are good bargains, particularly on international flights. So they are worth checking. But price being even roughly equal, I'd suggest avoiding them. They are an obstacle in the way of any flight changes, seat assignments, etc. that you could normally make directly with the airline online. And, inside of final payment, they charge punitive cancellation fees even if the airline allows free changes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, juksing said:

Just FYI, from what I understand until Final payment is made there is no absolute guarantee that the flight you booked through Flights by Celebrity is the one you get-

Although I have never been cut off each call to Flights by Celebrity is a 1-2 hour wait. 

I have used Flights by Celebrity numerous times.  The only changes I've had is if the time slightly changes or they change the plane type...but that can happen regardless where you book.  I have never had a major change.  Thankfully. 

I luckily always get through right away.   I haven't had to call since November so I don't know current wait times. 

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PinkSandGirl said:

I have used Flights by Celebrity numerous times.  The only changes I've had is if the time slightly changes or the change the plane type.  I have never had a major change.  Thankfully. 

I luckily always get through right away.   I haven't had to call since November so I don't know current wait times. 

🍹

I think part of our issue was due to covid some flights were being completely cancelled and I also think there may have been an end to a codeshare agreement between Delta (which Flights by Celebrity works with) and Westjet (Canadian Company) so when the codeshare ended Delat couldn't use those flights anymore.

Not always true if airlines drop prices then flights by X also get the lower price. We booked with X on pe class to Hong Kong & airline dropped price later by $800 but X only reduced our fare by $360. Good luck.

5 minutes ago, juksing said:

I think part of our issue was due to covid some flights were being completely cancelled and I also think there may have been an end to a codeshare agreement between Delta (which Flights by Celebrity works with) and Westjet (Canadian Company) so when the codeshare ended Delat couldn't use those flights anymore.

Oh ok. Yes, that may have contributed to it.  

The only hassle I had during that time was getting the airfare refunded from Celebrity due to a cancelled cruise during the shutdown.   After 5.5 months, the refunds came through.   It was just the point it was taking so long especially since they would tell me it would only be a few days and they'd say the case was escalated.  American told me the refund was given back to Celebrity within days of the cancelled flight.  Anyway...

Since then I have continued to book my flights through them.  I check for price drops and if there are changes. 

🍹

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, PinkSandGirl said:

I have used Flights by Celebrity numerous times

I don’t know about you but I’m thrilled to be sailing from NY/NJ in October and won’t have to fly to the ship. (Only home)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

These statements are based on perception people have from reading marketing statements such as "We'll be there for you!".

There is nothing in their terms and conditions that promises that they will cover getting you to the ship if you have flight issues. Like any travel agency, they will assist in rebooking. They do not guarantee to get you to the ship, and they certainly won't hold the ship because you are not there yet (there have been times when they've held ships due to major storms affecting the whole flight system, but that had nothing to do with where the airfare was booked). Also, joining a cruise downstream went away with COVID protocols, and I don't think have or will return soon.

Occasionally, Flights by Celebrity can offer consolidated fares that are good bargains, particularly on international flights. So they are worth checking. But price being even roughly equal, I'd suggest avoiding them. They are an obstacle in the way of any flight changes, seat assignments, etc. that you could normally make directly with the airline online. And, inside of final payment, they charge punitive cancellation fees even if the airline allows free changes.

Absolutely correct.  Celebrity will assist on a best efforts basis to get you to your cruise.  There is NO guarantee. 

What is important is the airlines will do the same.  It is a best efforts basis.  AA paid for a hotel in San Juan and a flight to Barbados when an aircraft issue caused us to miss our cruise..

Check with Celebrity Air.  Just understand they are a consolidator and be aware of challenges in confirming or changing flights along with any possible fees.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, p18750 said:

I booked flights for my cruise in July and would like to change my flights. I cannot find a way to change my flights online and after being on hold with Flights by Celebrity for 1 1/2 and 2 hours I have been disconnected with no one answering. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The only way you can change them is to talk with an agent.   I called late which is easy from the West Coast and the agent was excellent.    I think I only waited 20 minutes.   I just used my iPhone and had an AirPod in one ear and continued watching the news.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PinkSandGirl said:

For American Airlines you have to make changes with Flights by Celebrity.  

Seats, flights,  etc...

The flight shows up in your American Airlines account as upcoming with the record locator (that Flights by Celebrity will give you when you book).  It won't be ticketed until 20 - 30 days before the flight. After it's ticketed, you can make seat changes just like if you booked direct.  Prior to ticketing, any changes are done through Flights by Celebrity.  

If there is a time change or anything like that, you get notified from Celebrity and the Airline (at least with American).

🍹

I agree with the changing of flights that you have to Call Flights by Celebrity, but I have 3 flights on AA via Flights by Celebrity and was able to do my Seat Selection as soon as I booked 8 months before ticketing.  Not sure if it is different if you booked coach but all mine were in 1st. 

I just checked and can still get into seat selection.

• Thanks 1

They charge $200 to change flights after final payment, correct?  Pre-pandemic, the airlines used to charge a change fee, now they don't although you receive a credit vs a refund.

1 hour ago, PinkSandGirl said:

Anyone know exactly how this work?

On 4/3 the Edge departs FLL/Port Everglades has a 3pm all aboard for a 330pm port departure, flight by X allows me to book a flight landing at FLL at 12:21pm, this one way flight is $150ish.  If that flight is delayed and you miss the aboard, what happens?  Also of note, the next day is a sea day; so flights by X will put someone who misses their flight in a hotel for two nights, give them a food allowance, cover airport transfers book them flights foreign port?

I've always been an arrive the night before kind of guy but if X is guaranteeing they'll get you on the ship at the first port and cover all expenses if a flight delay causes you to miss embarkation, I may start booking at least the flight from home to the embarkation port which avoids the pre-cruise hotel stay, avoids a couple airport transfers and possibly some vacation time.

1 hour ago, juksing said:

FYI, the codeshare is still active with Westjet/Delta.

30 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Not sure if it is different if you booked coach but all mine were in 1st. 

I just checked and can still get into seat selection.

I book First Class as well.  I can see my seats but can't make changes on aa.com.

Interesting that you are able to change seats.  

I just logged in to see if I was now able to but no, I can't change seats.  Not that I need to. 😉 The only time I did was one time they changed the plane type and they didn't reassign the same seats so I had to call to change them.  

🍹

1 hour ago, juksing said:

Hi

The prices are actually sometimes better than you can get from the airline directly

1)  Just FYI, from what I understand until Final payment is made there is no absolute guarantee that the flight you booked through Flights by Celebrity is the one you get- the airline can change and it is up to you to let Celebrity know (unless it is close to sail date) otherwise you may get stuck with bad flights. Our flights were changed by the airlines several times (I was able to check using the airline confirmation code on the airlines website and I checked every week 3 starting about 5 months prior to my cruise) while the Flights by Celebrity still had my original flights website .  By the time I made Final payment my roundtrip direct flights from YYZ to MIA had changed to connector flights with wonderful 4 hour layovers each way in LGA and also they booked me on 2 different flights on disembarkation day,  both at 7AM;  one that would strand me in ATL and the other with the 4 hour layover in LGA.  We were able to change the flight to a makable 11:20AM (still too early).

Your answer is very confusing. Each time the airline changed any of my flights within 1 day I got an email notice of the change from Celebrity and it’s impact. If unacceptable I call Flights by Celebrity. Other than an airline change which is not under their control , no changes occur. I also go on each airline snd set up change notifications with them also as a back up. I’ve never waited more than 10-20minutes for Flights by Celebrity to speak with someone. But then your coming from Canada so maybe that’s the issue.

Edited by Virginia100

50 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Anyone know exactly how this work?

I used to fly day of but no longer do that, we go before.  We never had any problems the day of and would take the earliest flight but changed and now I can't imagine going the day of.   That's just me.   I'm surprised Celebrity would offer a flight so close to boarding time.  

As for them getting you there, I would suggest reading the FAQ's if you haven't already.  I think some of it is kind of vague though.   https://www.celebritycruises.com/flights-by-celebrity

I also always purchase travel insurance that will help cover any flight issues. 

As for the $200 fee.  It is odd they still charge that after final payment even though most airlines are not.  It does state that though in all of their Terms & Conditions.  The only experience I have is during the shutdown, we had a May 2020 cruise with flights.  There was going to be a fee, even though the flights were cancelled because of the shutdown but when I called Flights by Celebrity they said they were fully refundable.  I was under the impression I booked non-refundable flights but was told they were refundable First Class.  Yes, it took 5.5 months to get my refunds,  but they were 100%.  Flights for other trips I had booked direct with the airline I was able to get a credit that I had to use by a certain date. 

I checked a current reservation and the only thing noted is I purchased "Refundable with Fees" tickets.  

🍹

Edited by PinkSandGirl

My TA told me the some of the wording on the website is leftover from the past, i.e. the 200 change fee is leftover.  Cruise with Confidence covers air fare too.

Regarding hold times,  just don't hold that long and try calling back at off peak times.  I've had just a few minutes wait several times.  Can't imagine holding for 2 hours.