Considering MSC, Is it for Us?

LuckyStar

1 hour ago, perakcruiser said:

"Picky eater" is a little bit to unspecified. Food on MSC basically is good, but there are things that MSC - in my opinion - fails to deliver. You want a nice steak every night? Forget it or pay for it. Fancy seafood? No have. A decent egg benedict for breakfast as Celebrity does? MSC has it on the breakfast menu on every ships menu since they started business, so amazing it is still the worst egg benedict on sea and land. The fast food from MSC is not what I would eat, but I also don´t like a Burger from McDonalds. 

But food on MSC still is good. You are familiar to Italian food? Pizza, pasta, risotto, all is up to decent Restaurant standard. And better than other cruise companies for sure. Also at the buffet where there is anyway such a big selection that makes everyone happy. 

So you don´t need to worry about being a picky eater, maybe sometimes you will order the wrong dish as MSC first timer, but thats all. 

Ok I dont eat pasta, cooked tomatoes or italian seasonings at all. I grew up in a irish household where some sort of potatoes came with every meal. I am not familiar with italian at all as I avoid it.

Took me into my college years to eat pizza because of the red sauce on it. Still easy to ruin. Eggs Benedict, no thanks, lol. 

I do love salads and most veggies. Give me a big salad and I'm good. Some sliced fruit for dessert. Potatoes of course. Baked potato would do me for dinner. I di that one night on rcl when nothing else sounded good. I usually go to the buffet where I can pick and choose. Well i hope i last 14 days on msc. Yes the cruise that works out is 14 days next spring. 

Once before msc was doing a Panama canal cruise over 10 years ago I really wanted to see and I chickened out that time too hearing every night they featured italian food. I have no idea to be honest what authentic italian even means. Yes I've cruised on many lines princess, ncl and now pushing to get 340 on rcl for solo discount, first time just one line so much in a year, but they give a solo discount. I eat a lot of fruit and salads usually. Not a huge meat eater, but I usually can get by if they have lots of salad and fruit to choose. I love oriental also. Or Mexican.  

Well hopefully the status match comes thru soon and a good solo sale. If so I'll chance it. I've gone to hawaii on celebrity and alaska .. everywhere I wanted except panama .. the full transit doesnt work on my dates but msc 14 days divina to colon Panama fits my schedule. 

On 2/25/2022 at 11:18 AM, firefly333 said:

Following. Similar age and want some unusual ports when I'm in miami but I'm a picky eater.

Sorry I am just asking the same question. .. have no idea about msc. I've done princess, celebrity, ncl, rcl, and carnival .. never msc. I'm not picky about much else other than food lol. 

Experienced Cruiser here.  We have cruised the same lines as you.   Last fall we took our first MSC Cruise.   We loved it.  We did not eat in specialty dining because the MDR food was so good.   The buffet was equally delicious.   The offerings were different and more creative than other lines.  The pizza was the best at sea, by far.  Small point but the cookies were great (the wife is the cookie monster).   Hope this helps.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Took me into my college years to eat pizza because of the red sauce on it.

Good news, MSC offers also the white pizza with no tomatoes. I have to say I prefer it also, with a lot of cheese and on board I usually put nice "parma" ham on top by myself. 

5 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I do love salads and most veggies. Give me a big salad and I'm good. Some sliced fruit for dessert. Potatoes of course. Baked potato would do me for dinner. I di that one night on rcl when nothing else sounded good. I usually go to the buffet where I can pick and choose.

OK, I guess you will really not be happy in the MDR. Actually I am sure you will not. But the buffet with it´s huge salad selection called "Wellness" 😄 should fit you good. I think they have roast potatoes also always (I don´t eat potatoes so I am not sure). The veggies selection in the buffet is also nothing to complain. At the ethnic corner you should find meat and fish that is acceptable for you. Thankfully this changes every day, because 14 days with buffet is quite some time. 

"authentic italian" unfortunately (for you) means first a round of of pasta, risotto or soup and then a round of protein to get full which is very simple cooked meat, chicken or fish with no veggies or potatoes. 

But MSC long time changed for a more international approach. 

Edited by perakcruiser
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, joeyancho said:

Experienced Cruiser here.  We have cruised the same lines as you.   Last fall we took our first MSC Cruise.   We loved it.  We did not eat in specialty dining because the MDR food was so good.   The buffet was equally delicious.   The offerings were different and more creative than other lines.  The pizza was the best at sea, by far.  Small point but the cookies were great (the wife is the cookie monster).   Hope this helps.  

3 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

Good news, MSC offers also the white pizza with no tomatoes. I have to say I prefer it also, with a lot of cheese and on board I usually put nice "parma" ham on top by myself. 

OK, I guess you will really not be happy in the MDR. Actually I am sure you will not. But the buffet with it´s huge salad selection called "Wellness" 😄 should fit you good. I think they have roast potatoes also always (I don´t eat potatoes so I am not sure). The veggies selection in the buffet is also nothing to complain. At the ethnic corner you should find meat and fish that is acceptable for you. Thankfully this changes every day, because 14 days with buffet is quite some time. 

"authentic italian" unfortunately (for you) means first a round of of pasta, risotto or soup and then a round of protein to get full which is very simple cooked meat, chicken or fish with no veggies or potatoes. 

Good to know there is a white pizza. I might eat some pasta if it doesnt have tomato sauce on it and soup ..and fill up on salad. Glad the cookies are good. Sounding ok. Risotto soup would be ok. Just no tomato sauce please.. I like tomatoes but not cooked.

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Good to know there is a white pizza. I might eat some pasta if it doesnt have tomato sauce on it and soup ..and fill up on salad. Glad the cookies are good. Sounding ok. Risotto soup would be ok. Just no tomato sauce please.. I like tomatoes but not cooked.

Look for the "English" night in the buffet. It should meet your requirements for a menu.  Vegetables are a tad overcooked - "mushy" is the term they use.

5 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

Ah, no! A simple Italian meal will consist of antipasti (vegetables will be included), a small portion of pasta (two ounces of pasta), the main course of fish, fowl or meat accompanied by the contorno (a platter of vegetables), and dessert.

It is still possible to eat "Italian" on MSC. Of course, they do now have the oversized pasta dishes and no vegetable main courses (except for something starchy) so popular with the US clientele.

16 hours ago, Homosassa said:

accompanied by the contorno 

Of course, they do now have the oversized pasta dishes

Ah, that would be a lenghty discussion about secondi with contorni yes, no, maybe 😄 

Oversized pasta at MSC? Yes, very simple pasta they sometimes do bigger, but mostly the size is the typically small portion. When the word "Gragnano" appears on the menu for sure. Which does only one time a week now outside the YC. 

And especially with filled pasta. Where even at the buffet now they are not keen to give you a full plate. They will ask "two?", you answer "no, no, more", they "OK, three"🤪

While I was OK with being served at the buffet on Virtuosa in January this fight for every ravioli annoyed me totally. Ridiculous. The filled pasta is one of the things MSC makes a better line than others, don´t throw all your advantages over board like you did with the entertainmane already.

Edited by perakcruiser

On 2/27/2022 at 7:49 AM, joeyancho said:

Also experienced cruiser. Loved the food on MSC maybe because we are veggies and not big on the American SAD diet, fast food and meats.  MSC refreshing twist and looking forward to my next MSC cruise.  Fresh and flavoursome is how I would describe it