Early Saver - Price Match to Resident Rate Question

Happy0810

We are about to book a cruise at an early saver rate.  If we do, can we immediately price match to a resident rate?  The resident rate is lower, but early saver drops off in a couple of days.  Carnival is already closed or I would call and ask this question.

20 minutes ago, siestakeys04 said:

Just curious why not book the residence rate in the beginning?

You can price match to Early Saver rate up until 2 days before the cruise (meaning you have the potential for your price to go lower with OBC).  You can't price match to Resident Rate (meaning the rate you pay today is the final rate).  Both rates are valid today, but I don't know if you can price match Early Saver on the day you book.  Difference in price for the cheaper Resident Rate will buy about 5 drinks. 🙂

Edited by Happy0810

15 minutes ago, acook620 said:

We weren’t allowed to price match our early saver to a resident rate last week

Carnival must have changed the rules or something . Used to be you could price match to any lower rate you qualify for.

Think this is the second time this week I've seen something about Early saver and residents rates.

I had an early saver fare that I was allowed, with supervisor approval, to price match to the resident’s rate last week.  This week the price went down again and when I called my PVP, he said the rules have changed and that once I accepted a resident’s rate, I was no longer early saver and therefore can’t price match up till 2 days prior to sailing.  Final payment has passed, so no more price matches for me.  In the past the rule was “once early saver, always early saver,” but that apparently doesn’t apply anymore.

This is from Carnivals website:

How many times can I submit a price protection request?
Provided that you are eligible for the lower fare, there are no restrictions to the number of price protection requests or the requested amount.

Hopefully the denials are because the people doing the denying are new people who don’t know how to apply the rules

First off - I'm such a dummy.  Yesterday was Friday so I could have called instead of posting this thread.  The whole day, I thought it was Saturday. 🙂 

Second - I got the cruise booked.  I'm not sure if it's exactly right, but I was told my reservation is notated as early saver and price matched to the resident rate.  I paid the correct rate.  When I questioned not being able to see early saver on my email confirmation, the kind PVP told me just to call him if I saw the price go lower and he'll take care of it...up until 2 days before sailing.

Edited by Happy0810
  • Like 2

We booked a cruise with our new PVP on Monday.  I put it on hold last weekend with the Fundrstruck rate which looked like it was the only one with price protection and texted her Monday morning to finalize the booking. She called and said she found us a better rate which was Plan Now, Sail Later.  It was $60 cheaper and came with $200 OBC.  I asked if it had price protection (looks like it doesn't) and she said Carnival has been allowing them to price match up until final payment and possibly even after.  I thought, what the heck - it's $260 we'd be saving and our price never dropped anyway on the last 3 cruises we booked last year.  The next day, it dropped $60.  I texted PVP and sure enough she got our rate adjusted.  I know one thing, I'm happy I found a great PVP!

22 hours ago, nwcruiselover said:

I had an early saver fare that I was allowed, with supervisor approval, to price match to the resident’s rate last week.  This week the price went down again and when I called my PVP, he said the rules have changed and that once I accepted a resident’s rate, I was no longer early saver and therefore can’t price match up till 2 days prior to sailing.  Final payment has passed, so no more price matches for me.  In the past the rule was “once early saver, always early saver,” but that apparently doesn’t apply anymore.

I had this exact thing happen to me in 2014.  I posted it here and someone responded and told me that I was wrong.

I was denied twice last week for matching a resident rate. Prior cruises always allowed it as long as you actually qualified for that rate.  

I was also denied a month or so back, well before final pay,met, on an upgrade (from OV to Balcony) saying Accesible rooms couldn’t change cabins. There were several accessible balconies available for less than my OV was selling for. It’s frustrating. Why offer Early Saver anymore if they won’t honor it?

8 hours ago, vacruizer said:

I was denied twice last week for matching a resident rate. Prior cruises always allowed it as long as you actually qualified for that rate.  

I was also denied a month or so back, well before final pay,met, on an upgrade (from OV to Balcony) saying Accesible rooms couldn’t change cabins. There were several accessible balconies available for less than my OV was selling for. It’s frustrating. Why offer Early Saver anymore if they won’t honor it?

Just one more reason to vote no on all of the Board of Directors on the proxy statement I received in the mail yesterday.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, vacruizer said:

I completely agree with this...especially since Early Saver has so many restrictions and penalty fees regarding changes and cancellations outside of final payment. 

• Like 1

I am not familiar with all these different rates.  I have a rate that you can cancel with no penalty for a cruise in 2023.  I see the early saver rate is about $50-60pp cheaper.  Does this mean that I can change my rate two days before final payment and get the cheaper rate?

On 2/25/2022 at 11:20 PM, vwrestler171 said:

Does the resident rate let you choose your room?  If so, you should be able to price match to it.

Sorry, I didn't come back and answer this question.  Yes, the resident rate allowed us to choose our room.

1 minute ago, EllieinNJ said:

I am not familiar with all these different rates.  I have a rate that you can cancel with no penalty for a cruise in 2023.  I see the early saver rate is about $50-60pp cheaper.  Does this mean that I can change my rate two days before final payment and get the cheaper rate?

If I were you, I would keep the cancel with no penalty rate since your cruise isn't unil 2023.  Circumstances can change so much between now and then, and, in my opinion, the flexibility for your rate would outweigh the $50-60 pp savings and penalities of early saver.  As you get closer to the cruise and before final payment date, you can change your rate type if something else cheaper is available to you at that time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

I believe there is a cutoff date for using the early save rate. But I could be wrong, and if I am, I am sure someone will correct me.

• Thanks 1