Apple Watch

AK Dreaming

This may seem like a dumb question, but I just got an Apple watch and it has it's own phone number but is paired with my cell phone.  I will have unlimited internet and I get texts/email on my phone.  Will they show up on my watch?  I know we can only use one device at a time, but they sync so I was not sure.  It would be very convenient.  Appreciate anyone that has experience with this.

Yes, as long as it is paired with the cell phone that is receiving the texts and emails you care about they will continue showing on your watch just as they would at home.

Your watch will NOT be able to work independently of your phone like it does on land unless you have cell service on the ship. Make sure you turn off roaming or else your watch could unexpectedly start using cell service on the ship which can be very expensive.

(And I do have an iPhone and Apple Watch so have done this on my prior cruises)

Edited by karmamule
  • Like 1

I am guessing that beings they sync that you should get your texts on your watch when carrying your phone. Now the other part of that is if you leave your phone in your room and only take your watch then the watch would work as a separate device. I would probably put your phone on airplane mode if you plan to leave the phone and use the watch for messages and internet. 

And, just to clarify, you WOULD have to have your phone with you because that is how your watch will benefit from your phone's connection to the ship's wifi. In other words it won't save you from having to carry your phone around, but you will be able to leave your phone in your pocket or fanny pack and see messages on your watch without having to take your phone out.

Edited by karmamule

So 3 things are at play here.

Cellular, wifi, and bluetooth.

If you have your phone on you and your apple watched is synced via bluetooth, you don't need any cellular or wifi to receive texts/calls from your phone. As long as your phone is on you it should work as normal

If you are at home and your phone is more than 30 ft away, and you receive that phones calls and texts via apple watch, it's transmitting over wifi. If you have one streaming plan this may or may not work depending on if the apple watch can connect to the internet; and then you would have to alternate between connecting phone and watch to network

If you apple watch is connecting to the internet when you are not connected to wifi, it is using cellular. You will want this to be disabled during the cruise. If your cellular has roaming activated it could result in a very heft phone bill when you return home. 

• Thanks 1

not relevant to the question about email and text display, but there is one other important consideration related to your apple watch... GPS. if you do daily workouts, such as a walk... be prepared to walk a three minute mile!

i do a mile on land in anywhere from eighteen - to nineteen and a half minutes. on board ship, the GPS freaks out because of the constant forward motion of the ship. it can't make sense of the GPS coordinates, so it gives you "credit" for more walking (or running) than you're actually doing.

there is no fix for this, although it has been discussed in the apple support forums, and it will impact your actual daily, weekly, monthly and annual stats.

• Like 1

The watch also doesn’t record your sleep properly.  It show i only slept while the ship was at port.  During a one week cruise i only “slept” a grand total of 5 hours.  I’m faster than ukstages.  I walked two minute miles.  The watch was correct when it measured elliptical workouts and indoor walks on the treadmill.

• Like 1