First time Steakhouse

mirglip69

54 minutes ago, sgttami said:

Onion soup, mushrooms and surf and turf are all time favorites.

Don't eat desserts unless it's Baked Alaska but that's not served in the Steakhouse....LOL

Actually the dessert at your table they prepare in front of you might be to your liking. It had different kinds of ice cream too. I think they saw wonderland on rcl and wanted to copy the concept of fashionable. 

Agree about the caesar salad indy traveller sid above. Didnt like it and I generally like caesar salad. Wasnt good to me. 

• Like 1

I have never gone to one of the steakhouses because I cannot imagine sitting in one seat for two hours. Would it be possible to order and get all the food in well less than an hour? I am "creatively wired" and have not been able to sit still for nearly seventy years. Most of my family is the same way. Coulld we order our food and come back an hour and a half later to actually start eating? I so passionately want to try the cheesecake I keep reading about.

45 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

I have never gone to one of the steakhouses because I cannot imagine sitting in one seat for two hours. Would it be possible to order and get all the food in well less than an hour? I am "creatively wired" and have not been able to sit still for nearly seventy years. Most of my family is the same way. Coulld we order our food and come back an hour and a half later to actually start eating? I so passionately want to try the cheesecake I keep reading about.

Get a early time or very late when they arent as busy.

Order the cheesecake to go and take it back to your cabin. I'd bet easy to eat in 45 minutes tops. I was solo and they are pushing you to get in and out. Look at the menu and know what you want to order when you walk in. I doubt I was ever in there more than 30 to 45 minutes. They want turnover.

• Like 1

I've not been lucky enough to try the oysters yet, both of the recent ships we tried didn't have them. (That has also been my luck with the clams at the Seafood Shack - sorry, seafood rant off)

The shrimp cocktail is wonderful and very eye catching! Served in a martini glass.

The French Onion Soup is good. The Lobster Bisque is fabulous!

For me, the Surf and Turf can go either way. I've had good and and I've had not so good.

The filet is usually wonderful! Both the New York Strip and the Ribeye are good. I'm just not a huge steak person. Colossal shrimp was good! 

The cheesecake is great! The Art of the Desert (or whatever it is called) looks wonderful but draws too much attention for DH to allow me to try it.  🤣

OP, off topic, but we just left the Mardi Gras today and Emeril’s Bistro and Rudy’s Seagrill are both worthy of a visit or two.  Steakhouse was good but a distance third.  

back on topic, my hubby enjoyed the bone marrow and we both recommend the filet.  

23 hours ago, staceyglow said:

Actually, that was my least favorite. Since I had never had it before, I don't know if it was not prepared well, or that I just don't care for bone marrow. 

I liked the steak tartare part of it but the bone marrow was worth it for a one time experience, but not really all that yummy IMHO. 

I got the spice rub ribeye and it was a bit tough (I still ate it, though most of it was eaten over the next 24 hours thanks to the tiny fridge in the room).  Everyone else in my group got filet and all raved about it.

BE SURE TO CAREFULLY CHOOSE YOUR SALT. THE SALT IS A BIG DEAL AT THIS VENUE. SALLLLLLTT.

1 hour ago, KmomChicago said:

I got the spice rub ribeye and it was a bit tough (I still ate it, though most of it was eaten over the next 24 hours thanks to the tiny fridge in the room).  Everyone else in my group got filet and all raved about it.

BE SURE TO CAREFULLY CHOOSE YOUR SALT. THE SALT IS A BIG DEAL AT THIS VENUE. SALLLLLLTT.

We have never gotten the salt pitch. 

Steak quality varies per ship, I generally get the surf and turf but was disappointed by the lobster last time. P used to get the cowboy ribeye but had such a tough cut once that he had them change it with the filet. Since we live in the land of beef we might be pickier than some. 

We are also probably the minority that was very disappointed in the cheesecake and generally opt for the cheese plate to go. 

Went to the steakhouse the other night, have only been once before. The first time I had the filet and husband had the spice rubbed ribeye. Both were fabulous.

This time I decided to try the Australian wagyu and husband again had the ribeye. His steak was as good as any steak I have had at high end steakhouses in Vegas, it was perfect. Mine on the other hand was a big let down. It was not tender at all, it was downright chewy and had a subtle odd taste that I can't describe. 

IMG_20220228_205739384.jpg

IMG_20220228_205728768.jpg

We got the cowboy cut and the wagyu on our recent Conquest sailing - figuring I could help with the cowboy if the wagyu was a miss as many people have experienced.  Fortunately for us, both were cooked to perfection!  We brought the leftovers back to the room with our cheese plate dessert.

Unfortunately, the plates didn't fit in the fridge, so we improvised:

Screenshot_20220306-010440.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Virga said:

We got the cowboy cut and the wagyu on our recent Conquest sailing - figuring I could help with the cowboy if the wagyu was a miss as many people have experienced.  Fortunately for us, both were cooked to perfection!  We brought the leftovers back to the room with our cheese plate dessert.

I was given a covered plate which didn’t fit of course so I transferred to a plastic cup from the buffet! 😂

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Virga said:

Wish I had improvised, my plate of cheesecake didn't fit and while trying it slid right off the plate and plopped onto the rug lol.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, elklemi said:

How do the steakhouse selections in the MDR that cost extra compare?  Are they worth the extra money as I am not sure I want a large meal like the steakhouse offers.

The steakhouse selections are just main entrees: the steak, the lobster, etc.  A meal in the steakhouse has fancy appetizers, sides, desserts, and other elegant touches accompanying them, along with a cozier dinner setting.  Whether or not it's worth it, that's very individual: How important are those elegant touches to you?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

The steakhouse selections are just main entrees: the steak, the lobster, etc.  A meal in the steakhouse has fancy appetizers, sides, desserts, and other elegant touches accompanying them, along with a cozier dinner setting.  Whether or not it's worth it, that's very individual: How important are those elegant touches to you?

I can do without the elegant touches and sides and desserts but the steak, lobster, are they better quality than usual MDR meals?  If quality is better than normal I would not mind paying the $20 for 

better quality.

3 minutes ago, elklemi said:

I can do without the elegant touches and sides and desserts but the steak, lobster, are they better quality than usual MDR meals?  If quality is better than normal I would not mind paying the $20 for 

better quality.

The ambiance is much better. In most cases the steak, appetizer and dessert will also be better. 

It is enough better overall to try once and find out where you land. If you do it on the first night of the cruise you get a free bottle of house wine which also offsets more of the upcharge. 

Worst case scenario you’ll probably feel it was okay for the investment and best case it will become a must do every cruise as it has for many others.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, elklemi said:

I can do without the elegant touches and sides and desserts but the steak, lobster, are they better quality than usual MDR meals?  If quality is better than normal I would not mind paying the $20 for better quality.

Short answer:

Yes.

Long answer:

It's a given that they're prepared differently than regular MDR entrees, so the quality is better.  But on ships that don't have an actual steakhouse, which is the last remaining Fantasy class ships, they're made on the same equipment as the regular MDR foods.  (I don't know if the steakhouse on other ships has its own galley or not.)  Based on what you said, order the selections entrees in the MDR, rather than go to the steakhouse.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 9:01 PM, Joe817 said:

Hahahaha. That right there is funnnnyyyy! :classic_laugh: And I grew up on a ranch, and honestly I have never heard of a "cowboy 'steak" until I first saw it on this forum. Is it like a ribeye? If so, I would have preferred the ribeye, but it's like 16 or 18 ounces. At one time I could have handled it, but not now! The filet is just the right size for me. 

My husband always gets the "cowboy cut" at Texas Roadhouse..I think it's a 16 or 18 oz ribeye

On 3/3/2022 at 9:01 PM, Joe817 said:

Hahahaha. That right there is funnnnyyyy! :classic_laugh: And I grew up on a ranch, and honestly I have never heard of a "cowboy 'steak" until I first saw it on this forum. Is it like a ribeye? If so, I would have preferred the ribeye, but it's like 16 or 18 ounces. At one time I could have handled it, but not now! The filet is just the right size for me. 

My husband always gets the cowboy cut at Texas Roadhouse and it's a 16 or 18 oz ribeye.

I was honestly disappointed I spent an extra $150 for the 4 of us to eat there..we all ordered different items and while it was ok, the MDR would have been just fine in comparison...oh well..can say we gave it a try!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, lindya said:

I was honestly disappointed I spent an extra $150 for the 4 of us to eat there..we all ordered different items and while it was ok, the MDR would have been just fine in comparison...oh well..can say we gave it a try!

We enjoyed it and it was an elevated experience compared to the MDR, but I don't think it's our thing or worth that kind of upcharge. Not likely to repeat very often.

• Like 1