First time Steakhouse

mirglip69

Guest BasicSailor
2 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

No, get the filet mignon. It's so tender, it'll almost melt in your mouth. Save room for the cheesecake for dessert! It's huge and must weigh at least a pound! 

Let me get this straight , a person from Texas said NO to the Cowboy steak. What am I missing here?😆

6 minutes ago, BasicSailor said:

Let me get this straight , a person from Texas said NO to the Cowboy steak. What am I missing here?😆

Hahahaha. That right there is funnnnyyyy! :classic_laugh: And I grew up on a ranch, and honestly I have never heard of a "cowboy 'steak" until I first saw it on this forum. Is it like a ribeye? If so, I would have preferred the ribeye, but it's like 16 or 18 ounces. At one time I could have handled it, but not now! The filet is just the right size for me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I always choose the NY Strip strip steak. It is cut a little thicker and less fatty then the cowboy or the ribeye. As for the apps you can't go wrong with the stuffed mushrooms (delicious) or the shrimp cocktail (huge).  Of course the baked or mashed potatoes and the Cheese cake for dessert. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Hahahaha. That right there is funnnnyyyy! :classic_laugh: And I grew up on a ranch, and honestly I have never heard of a "cowboy 'steak" until I first saw it on this forum. Is it like a ribeye? If so, I would have preferred the ribeye, but it's like 16 or 18 ounces. At one time I could have handled it, but not now! The filet is just the right size for me. 

The Cowboy steak is a rib eye with the bone in. They also have the spice rubbed ribeye without the bone. I reccomend either one. Years ago they used to have a 24 ounce porterhouse. Now that was a steak! 😁

• Like 1

My wife had the cowboy on our more recent cruise.  She would not recommend.  We both agreed that my NY Strip was significantly better.  YMMV.  Next time we go I'm doing the lamb chops. I don't think I've ever had them on Carnival but do enjoy.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

The Cowboy steak is a rib eye with the bone in. They also have the spice rubbed ribeye without the bone. I reccomend either one. Years ago they used to have a 24 ounce porterhouse. Now that was a steak! 😁

Ahhhhh. A bone in rib eye. Thanks for the clarification! Rib eye is my favorite steak. When I was in my 40's I maxed out one at 16 oz. at Saltgrass Steakhouse. That was a few years ago. I can't imagine trying to tackle a 24 oz. steak. :classic_blink:

11 hours ago, Colorado Cruzer said:

Baked onion soup, smoked oysters, filet mignon or filet/lobster tail combo, the chocolate art at the table is kind of fun, mashed potatoes are so good and can't find them like that anywhere!  Have a great meal!

I hated the oysters. Purple and just wierd. 

I would say also get the pork belly app and loved the  cheese cake. 

Cowboy steak my friend has wasnt very tender. Bigger but not tender. 

Here are the smoked oysters ..and pork belly. I made myself eat the oysters ... hated them. Didnt want to waste them.

20210917_185653.jpg

20210917_185615.jpg

20210915_175611.jpg

20210915_175600.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Ahhhhh. A bone in rib eye. Thanks for the clarification! Rib eye is my favorite steak. When I was in my 40's I maxed out one at 16 oz. at Saltgrass Steakhouse. That was a few years ago. I can't imagine trying to tackle a 24 oz. steak. :classic_blink:

I knew I had a picture of the 24 ounce porterhouse somewhere. I don't think I could handle it now. They did away with it the end of 2011. :classic_ohmy:

Carnival%20Pride_0112-X2.jpg

The baked onion soup is delicious....my only complaint is that it probably takes 3 days to cool down enough to eat!! It really does come out piping hot.  I've enjoyed the filet but I was seriously disappointed in the bone in ribeye....paper thin, nothing but fat and not very good at all.  Maybe I got a bad one, idk, but I'll go back to the filet next time.

• Like 2

When we go to the steak house I usually end up with French Onion Soup (seriously has always been some of the bet I've had and I try everywhere I can), Cesar salad, Cowboy steak (sometimes it's a little chewier but then again I want my steak to have some chew to it, I prefer ribeye over filet), baked potato loaded then dessert is whatever looks decent to me at that point. I cannot say I have ever left disappointed or not hungry by any means. We usually go at least once a cruise to the steak house.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shortyjoesmith said:

I never have room for dessert after all of the wonderful food, I get the sorbet.  I figure a lil more liquid in my stomach will fit 😉

Oh but that cheesecake on your balcony at midnight taste SO GOOD....you can always get it to go...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kanyon71 said:

When we go to the steak house I usually end up with French Onion Soup (seriously has always been some of the bet I've had and I try everywhere I can), Cesar salad, Cowboy steak (sometimes it's a little chewier but then again I want my steak to have some chew to it, I prefer ribeye over filet), baked potato loaded then dessert is whatever looks decent to me at that point. I cannot say I have ever left disappointed or not hungry by any means. We usually go at least once a cruise to the steak house.

Lol the last time I tried the onion rings. They were good. 

I go in thinking steak but every time I wind up with surf and turf. I cant say no to lobster even for a bigger piece of steak. 

• Like 3

I had the sole (I know, it's a steakhouse) and it was delicious.  So was the cheesecake.  I went on the 1st night and got the included bottle of wine. 

• Like 1

Where I work they use the same purveyor as Carnival. The quality of the bone in rib-eye has not been up to par since the resumption. The fat and bone marrow make the rib-eye a tastier steak than filet on the whole, but the quality of the filet has been great lately. I would not blame anyone for going with the onion soup, filet, jacket potato, cheesecake, and a hearty red cab. I usually bring my own and pour in the room to avoid corkage.

This is for California and Florida. I don't know about suppliers at other ports. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Moviela said:

Where I work they use the same purveyor as Carnival. The quality of the bone in rib-eye has not been up to par since the resumption. The fat and bone marrow make the rib-eye a tastier steak than filet on the whole, but the quality of the filet has been great lately. I would not blame anyone for going with the onion soup, filet, jacket potato, cheesecake, and a hearty red cab. I usually bring my own and pour in the room to avoid corkage.

This is for California and Florida. I don't know about suppliers at other ports. 

Agree except for apps. Loved the filet every time. But I'm not wasting my limited appetite on a baked potato. The pork belly above was good and onion rings. The soup would also fill me up so I couldnt finish. I've only had it once out of new orleans and also Galveston. Out of new orleans my lobster was mushy. Disappointed that time. 

2 hours ago, Wombservice said:

The bone marrow app was to die for!!!!

Actually, that was my least favorite. Since I had never had it before, I don't know if it was not prepared well, or that I just don't care for bone marrow. 

DO NOT get the Caesar salad.  It's some weird deconstructed thing that's essentially three leaves of lettuce and some soggy dressing over it.

The cheesecake is awesome, but HUGE!

The fruit desert seems underrated, but it's actually quite good.  

Edited by Indytraveler83