Is Luminae over-rated or under-rated?

mfs2k

18 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

As far as the suites are concerned on the M class ships like Summit I find the Sky Suites really lacking.  Except for the 2 that are next to the Penthouse they are mostly just too small to pay the additional $$.  

I've read and not just on X that dining post Covid has been hit or miss even in Luminae.  Lack of personnel, training and quality product HAS impacted the lines.  We haven't been on X since 2019 and are eagerly awaiting our sailing this October on the Apex.  Also hoping that some of the reopening issues have been ironed out.  I still expect we will be very happy just to be back on X.  We have done 2 Royal cruises in the last year which were fine, but not even close to the quality we find on X.

We were in one of the SS1 adjacent to the PH suite. Cabin was large, as was the en-suite, but was poorly laid out. The sofa wasn’t really positioned to watch TV, the chair at the vanity wouldn’t slide under the table top and stuck out into the walking area. The balcony furniture was minimalist and looked quite cheap. Considering the other aspects you can see why we were underwhelmed. I’d struggle to justify paying for it again.

The Summit was the second cruise on a S2S where we did a week on the Apex in an IV cabin first. Absolutely loved the Apex. The public spaces are something else and MDR options were very good. Overall a much more enjoyable experience.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zanderblue said:

We were in one of the SS1 adjacent to the PH suite. Cabin was large, as was the en-suite, but was poorly laid out. The sofa wasn’t really positioned to watch TV, the chair at the vanity wouldn’t slide under the table top and stuck out into the walking area. The balcony furniture was minimalist and looked quite cheap. Considering the other aspects you can see why we were underwhelmed. I’d struggle to justify paying for it again.

The Summit was the second cruise on a S2S where we did a week on the Apex in an IV cabin first. Absolutely loved the Apex. The public spaces are something else and MDR options were very good. Overall a much more enjoyable experience.

I know Summit was one of the M class that was renovated before Covid so I don't know what  6145 & 6146 look like now.  Prior to that they were furnished much like the Penthouse with rich woods.  It sounds like the reno was not for the better.   Did you like IV "balcony?"  

20 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

I know Summit was one of the M class that was renovated before Covid so I don't know what  6145 & 6146 look like now.  Prior to that they were furnished much like the Penthouse with rich woods.  It sounds like the reno was not for the better.   Did you like IV "balcony?"  

Actually, yes. We did like the IV, largely due to the additional flexibility of having that area inside or outside the cabin. TBH we were very impressed with the ship in general. So much so that we booked again for later this year 😁

4 hours ago, zanderblue said:

Actually, yes. We did like the IV, largely due to the additional flexibility of having that area inside or outside the cabin. TBH we were very impressed with the ship in general. So much so that we booked again for later this year 😁

Interesting, have heard so many negative comments about the IV.  We are booked on the Apex this fall, our 1st Edge class sailing but are in a suite, with a "real" balcony, lol.  It will just be nice to be back on a Celebrity ship no matter which class.🙂

10 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

Interesting, have heard so many negative comments about the IV.  We are booked on the Apex this fall, our 1st Edge class sailing but are in a suite, with a "real" balcony, lol.  It will just be nice to be back on a Celebrity ship no matter which class.🙂

The IV is the best aspect of the E-class.  By far.  The rest of the ship - not so much.  Dark.  Confusing to navigate.  What's with the black forest from the planet Altair?  Dangerous stairs.  Totally over the top expensive shops.  NOT cruising on an E-class ever again.  Solstice and Millie classes🤩

• Like 1

1 hour ago, islabahia said:

We are very blessed to sail in Sky Suites and we will be in our first Celebrity Suite in March.  Both are well-suited for en-suite dining.  

I agree with that about Celebrity Suites, not so much a Sky Suite.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, islabahia said:

We are very blessed to sail in Sky Suites and we will be in our first Celebrity Suite in March.  Both are well-suited for en-suite dining.  

We don't find the Sky Suites on any Class of Celebrity ships to be comfortable for in suite dining.  CS have a dining table on the M Class but on S or E no dining table just a low coffee table.  

12 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We don't find the Sky Suites on any Class of Celebrity ships to be comfortable for in suite dining.  CS have a dining table on the M Class but on S or E no dining table just a low coffee table.  

Our balcony on our Equinox Sky Suite had a 30" normal height table with 2 chairs which worked perfect for having in suite breakfast. 

3 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I'll agree. We just returned from a 7 day to Alaska on Solstice in a Celebrity Suite. There is no dining table and we found room service sadly lacking. For a suite which had a suggested value of more than $1350/person/night plus all the included perks, the food presentation was just bad - not even a garnish on the plate and the omelet was luke warm and rubbery, toast didn't even have butter and the pot of coffee had fake cream packets. Seriously? At this price we have come to expect better. We have experienced far better on competing lines at a lower price point, even since cruising restarted. We did however experience exceptional service in Luminae and our food was consistantly beautifully presented and was delicious. 

16 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Our balcony on our Equinox Sky Suite had a 30" normal height table with 2 chairs which worked perfect for having in suite breakfast. 

Well, that's great unless you're in Alaska with wind, rain and 50 degree highs! Suites on other lines the size of the Celebrity Suite have a table for 2 inside and outside, plus a coffee maker.

5 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Well, that's great unless you're in Alaska with wind, rain and 50 degree highs! Suites on other lines the size of the Celebrity Suite have a table for 2 inside and outside, plus a coffee maker.

Which ones have a coffee maker in the cabin?  I have been in suites on NCL, Royal and HAL none had coffee makers except the high end most expensive suites. I also do not recall inside dining tables in those same lines with entry level suites the size of a Celebrity Sky Suite. While the  Celebrity Sky Suite is the entry level suite, the Celebrity Royal and above suites have espresso coffee makers and dining tables.

We are currently in a Sky Suite on the Solstice heading to Alaska.  We only had our delivered cappuccinos and warm pastries in our stateroom.  We ate dinner last night and breakfast in Luminae this am.  We love the much smaller dining room with all tables pretty well spaced out.  Our food was hot so no complaints there. Service was great and attentive. We will probably not eat in our suite as we like to get out.  For us we could manage with a coffee table. We have a table on the balcony and four chairs but so far too cold to hang out there.  We have two kids traveling with us so the price point is lower than it would be for just the two of us. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

For me in suite means inside, not the balcony. But we are not breakfast eaters, maybe juice or coffee outside but not a full meal.  
On the M class most SS balconies are too small for a table and same for the E Class SS.    

4 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Which ones have a coffee maker in the cabin?  I have been in suites on NCL, Royal and HAL none had coffee makers except the high end most expensive suites. I also do not recall inside dining tables in those same lines with entry level suites the size of a Celebrity Sky Suite. While the  Celebrity Sky Suite is the entry level suite, the Celebrity Royal and above suites have espresso coffee makers and dining tables.

HAL Neptune Suites all have coffee makers - definitely lower price point than Celebrity. We've also just been in a Grand Suite on Royal Caribbean with a coffee maker - lower price point. Viking in their 270 sq. ft. Delux Verandas have coffee makers - much cheaper. Even Seabourn, offers a very nice Penthouse Suite with both an espresso coffee maker and a dining table inside and outside with four chairs apiece. It is also a lower price than the suggested price of the Celebrity Suite. It is quite frustrating when one books a Celebrity Suite which specifically offers "in-suite specialty coffees" in their promotions. At Celebrity's price, the product does not compare to their hype. Thanks to CruiseCritic posts, I became aware I had to ask our "butler" for a kettle and we brought Vias. Really? We are Elite Plus and this was our first real Suite experience. Disappointed. BTY, there is only one 220 plug in the entire suite and the "butler" didn't know where to plug the kettle in! And there is only 1 U.S. plug (110 ) easily accessible in the entire suite. I did find a second one inside the cabinet under the TV. No USB plugs. $2000 a night! If Solstice hasn't been upgraded yet, it should have been priced accordingly. Just sayin'

22 minutes ago, twodjs said:

HAL Neptune Suites all have coffee makers - definitely lower price point than Celebrity. We've also just been in a Grand Suite on Royal Caribbean with a coffee maker - lower price point. Viking in their 270 sq. ft. Delux Verandas have coffee makers - much cheaper. Even Seabourn, offers a very nice Penthouse Suite with both an espresso coffee maker and a dining table inside and outside with four chairs apiece. It is also a lower price than the suggested price of the Celebrity Suite. It is quite frustrating when one books a Celebrity Suite which specifically offers "in-suite specialty coffees" in their promotions. At Celebrity's price, the product does not compare to their hype. Thanks to CruiseCritic posts, I became aware I had to ask our "butler" for a kettle and we brought Vias. Really? We are Elite Plus and this was our first real Suite experience. Disappointed. BTY, there is only one 220 plug in the entire suite and the "butler" didn't know where to plug the kettle in! And there is only 1 U.S. plug (110 ) easily accessible in the entire suite. I did find a second one inside the cabinet under the TV. No USB plugs. $2000 a night! If Solstice hasn't been upgraded yet, it should have been priced accordingly. Just sayin'

on the electrical. on S ships normal balcony cabins, the only plugs are I recall 2 US at the desk. we bring the 2 ship approved extension cords with multiple outlets and that covers 2 IPhones, , 2 Ipads, the cameras,  the various bluetooth headphones, the bluetooth selfie stick,and the small bose bluetooth speakers we take into port to listen to mp3's walking tours. Don't forget the outlet needed for the notebook laptop and you have a spaghetti nighmare, now aided by I think 4-6 different type connections, usb, usb c and b , and the old ones for something  ipods and my bose ,mall portable speakers.

ON the internet, did you all see where RCCL is hooking up with Elon Musks internet system where speeds will be fantastic. They are trying to fast track FCC approval. . We will need the fast internet to send money to use to pay off the higher cost of everything on the cruises now, including this fast (vs the current dial up type internet which is already rate expensive. ) Imagine booking a cruise where the internet is more than the remainder of the cruise cost.

39 minutes ago, twodjs said:

You seem to be fixated on having a coffee maker in your cabin so maybe you should move on to another line that will take care of your coffee needs. The lack of a coffee maker in your recent cruise seems to have spoiled you whole trip and experience. I have never seen any Celebrity ad the specifically says a Celebrity has a coffee maker in a Sky or Celebrity Suite. 

I will be keep booking Celebrity Sky Suites and have my Butler bring me a fresh pot of coffee every morning. BTW Viking and Seabourn are not main stream cruise lines and a Sky Suite is much less in cost than both. HAL Neptune Suites may have a coffee pot but that is about all they have over the Celebrity Retreat. The Neptune Lounge is a real joke with a cart of adult beverages in the afternoon with no full time bar tender. The Club Orange is nothing compared to Luminae. all MDR entrees plus one "special" Club Orange one. I have cruised in a Grand Suite on Royal, the coastal kitchen was a joke and so over crowded. The Royal GS was the epitome of nickel and diming everything was at an added cost. GS has no butlers either. you have to book the super expensive Star level suite to get one. Oh and on the Allure in a GS there was no coffee maker, so I doubt you really have been in one. Now move along to the cruise line that will take care of your coffee maker fetish.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, twodjs said:

One mistake cruisers can make is assuming different lines offer the same facilities at a similar price.   Simply not true. Even within the same class of room things differ. For example the M PH and S PH are totally different in layout and design. Each line and each suite will have things that appeal to different people. The Celebrity Suite you have experienced  is a classic example, it is loved by some for it’s enclosed bedroom and loathed by others for the same feature  (us included)!

YouTube and Cruise Critic are great resources pre booking to ensure you choose a suite you are happy with.

Your need for a coffee maker has already been addressed and several explanations and solutions suggested. 

When we are looking at booking a hotel or a room on a cruise line we are unfamiliar with we tend to start a spread sheet with features that are important to us. For example…balcony, restaurant choices, seating area in room, concierge lounge and service, shower and separate tub….Through research the correct choices for us become clear. For example, we would not be over bothered by not having a dining table or coffee maker but would be unlikely to book a suite with limited dining choices or we would factor in a dining package to the overall cost…

5 hours ago, twodjs said:

The only cruise line you quote which we are familiar with is RC. We have cruised in many of their higher suites. We find their total suite experience sub par to Celebrity. We appreciate they have a wider range of entertainment and activities than Celebrity but I can guarantee their Genies would not secure you a kettle and then crawl around on all fours looking for a plug point for you.

I am sorry you had such a disappointing first suite experience but perhaps before your next (on whatever cruise line you choose) you will do more homework first and then make a choice of suite you are happy with.

• Like 1

It's not a drama, but given that X is presenting itself as a uper scale cruiseline each cabin at least Concierge and above should be equiped with a Nespresso / Lavazza Coffee maker as this is not even considered as a luxury amenity anymore now a days.

13 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Royal has coffee makers in all their full suites from Grand on up.  Junior Suites get a hot pot.  

7 hours ago, terrydtx said:

I have cruised in a Grand Suite on Royal, the coastal kitchen was a joke and so over crowded. The Royal GS was the epitome of nickel and diming everything was at an added cost. GS has no butlers either. you have to book the super expensive Star level suite to get one. Oh and on the Allure in a GS there was no coffee maker, so I doubt you really have been in one. Now move along to the cruise line that will take care of your coffee maker fetish.

In May on our  TA we were in an Owners Suite on Royal's Anthem of the Seas.  It had a coffee maker. After the TA we moved to Grand Suite on same ship. It also has a coffee maker. Coastal Kitchen was not overcrowded on either sailing, we found it to be very enjoyable, enough so that we cancelled all spec dining reservations.  The suite lounge was also excellent.  

Outside of the room, CK & the Suite lounge the ship is just too big for us to book again, but we feel Royal has a very nice suite package, especially if you are either on a Quantum or Oasis class ship.  

1 hour ago, Gracie115 said:

In May on our  TA we were in an Owners Suite on Royal's Anthem of the Seas.  It had a coffee maker. After the TA we moved to Grand Suite on same ship. It also has a coffee maker. Coastal Kitchen was not overcrowded on either sailing, we found it to be very enjoyable, enough so that we cancelled all spec dining reservations.  The suite lounge was also excellent.  

Outside of the room, CK & the Suite lounge the ship is just too big for us to book again, but we feel Royal has a very nice suite package, especially if you are either on a Quantum or Oasis class ship.  

Our experiences on Oasis and Allure were very different. The suite lounge was full of Pinnacle members most of the day leaving hard chairs only when we arrived for an evening drink…It was so busy on Oasis we tried the Diamond Lounge one night as an alternative only to find every seat taken or ‘reserved’. Not a good experience.

2 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Our experiences on Oasis and Allure were very different. The suite lounge was full of Pinnacle members most of the day leaving hard chairs only when we arrived for an evening drink…It was so busy on Oasis we tried the Diamond Lounge one night as an alternative only to find every seat taken or ‘reserved’. Not a good experience.

The Harmony lounge on the TA last fall, where the ship was pretty empty but ALL suites were sold, was busy.  All the chairs were comfortable, the lounge was busy, and a couple of nights very full, but service was still great.  I don't think Pinnacles were being allowed in at that point due to Covid protocols.  

On Anthem, which again had all suites full and ship much higher occupancy, the lounge was NEVER full.  It's also larger than on the Oasis class ships.  Originally the "concierge lounge" and now the suite lounge only.  The service excellent and the appetizers/snacks offered were quite good.  Coastal Kitchen was excellent as I said before. The staff were great and did everything they could to accommodate us.  

4 hours ago, LXA350 said:

It's not a drama, but given that X is presenting itself as a uper scale cruiseline each cabin at least Concierge and above should be equiped with a Nespresso / Lavazza Coffee maker as this is not even considered as a luxury amenity anymore now a days.

Personally, I wouldn’t want a coffee maker in the cabin.  I make coffee at home, but I don’t have room service at home.   I prefer having coffee delivered to my cabin when I’m on vacation. 

• Like 5