Is Luminae over-rated or under-rated?

mfs2k

23 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Those would not be considered in the same tonnage class. Riviera/Marina would be closer to Celebrity's Century Class, and no one considers Century class comparable to Millenium class. Generally to be considered in the same tonnage class the variation is  several thousand tons, not almost 30,000 tons, the difference being the size of Oceania's Regatta class. 

Let try to clarify my point. I've been on Century, Solstice, and Millennium class. My point in the discussion was the Oceania ships never seem as crowded even when full.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

whats it gonna mean 50 years from now.

Will be the exact same, folks will still complain the wifi isn't fast enough to stream the newest season of the Squid Game on their iPhone 63 along with people attempting to remove the auto-gratuities as they don't feel they need to tip robots.

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Will be the exact same, folks will still complain the wifi isn't fast enough to stream the newest season of the Squid Game on their iPhone 63 along with people attempting to remove the auto-gratuities as they don't feel they need to tip robots.

Thats probably true but I meant what's it gonna mean to us 50 years from now. Not much I am afraid.

21 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Talk about opportune timing here!  I have been vacillating between a cruise on Riviera (which I currently have booked and can get 100% refund until June 3) and a similar itinerary cruise on Beyond.  Done a ton of research, videos, reviews, inclusions, restaurants etc and yes I know Beyond has not sailed yet , but my gut tells me it is the way to go.  I did a courtesy hold on it last night, Celebrity is calling me multiple times today, offering me my "very own certified celebrity cruise planner" not a complaint, good customer service it seems.  Oceania would be totally new to me and Celebrity not, so I guess I know what I will do.  Thanks for the unsolicited gut check!

We were in the same situation. We have good friends who swear by Oceania, but never had sailed on Celebrity. We booked in 2020 an Oceania Marina cruise for this August of the Baltics and after our fantastic experience in the Retreat last year, we had been vacillating between canceling and switching to a Celebrity Retreat cruise. The illegal Russian war with Ukraine, made the decision easier for us as we do not want to spend one penny in Russia (St Petersburg). We canceled the first day of the invasion. Oceania did finally cancel the ST Petersburg overnight stop, but so far has not added any more ports to make it up other than an overnight is one of the other ports.

We are now booked on the Reflection for the same 10 days in August as the Marina cruise. We did not lose any of our O deposit either and our Sky Suite on the Reflection is $1500pp less than what the Marina cruise would have cost. We just couldn't see how the Marina would be $3000 better than the Reflection Retreat cruise. Sounds like you made a similar smart decision too.

1 hour ago, HMR74 said:

A lot of the older guests complained about the low, sunk chairs which are difficult to get out of. Stylish, yes

Prices are reflecting fuel and food and new protocol costs. They seem a bit more now with some of that due to the Retreat concept.

The booking I have in Retreat S1 for 2023 on Beyond is already 15% above what I paid. And I thought mine was high. If I was younger and stronger I'd be doing the land tours  like we used to, but the packing and unpacking and busses or flights or trains or a combo is tough now. So if I want to travel, cruising makes a lot of sense and we have come back to it.

Its a trade off, we lose the nightlife of a city.And an early morning relaxed breakfast streetside.

Aqua and Suites have been priced a certain % above veranduh, and I do think the Retreat concept has added a bit to the difference.

whats it gonna mean 50 years from now.

We're late 30's to late 40's and still thought the tables and chairs could have been better! :)

We've booked an S1 for January 2024. I booked it onboard to take advantage of the OBC for pre booking and ensured our TA added generously to it if I had the booking transferred to them. 

I'd agree the Retreat was designed to increase revenue by improving the suite experience. Which it does. But when comparing retreat costs to other lines I do think Celebrity are really trying to push the boundaries. For example I've just booked an N1 Club Continent suite on Azamara. Not quite an apples to apples comparison with the Always included Sky suite deal but on a cost per night basis roughly factoring in the cost of perks it's around 60% of the cost of our previous Celebrity cruise...

53 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

On our last cruise on the Equinox last year, the first night our waiter introduced himself and said he would be our waiter for the entire cruise for breakfast and dinners.  His name was also Marco, were you on the Equinox? It was like being in traditional MDR seating, but being able to chose our seating every night specially when a window table was available. He also knew our likes and dislikes and made recommendations on the menu items. Made it easier to leave him some extra cash gratuities at the end of the cruise too.

That's what we've always experienced. My comments referred specifically to Apex. We're on Reflection in two months time. It will be interesting to see how our Luminae experience is onboard her. 

1 minute ago, Moby Jones said:

We're late 30's to late 40's and still thought the tables and chairs could have been better! 🙂

We've booked an S1 for January 2024. I booked it onboard to take advantage of the OBC for pre booking and ensured our TA added generously to it if I had the booking transferred to them. 

I'd agree the Retreat was designed to increase revenue by improving the suite experience. Which it does. But when comparing retreat costs to other lines I do think Celebrity are really trying to push the boundaries. For example I've just booked an N1 Club Continent suite on Azamara. Not quite an apples to apples comparison with the Always included Sky suite deal but on a cost per night basis roughly factoring in the cost of perks it's around 60% of the cost of our previous Celebrity cruise...

Yeah, hear you, but I think we have to compare  similar cruises at similar times.  When someone compared Oceana MDR to Celebrity MDR that woke me up.

And I know much of it is subjective and biased.

5 minutes ago, Moby Jones said:

That's what we've always experienced. My comments referred specifically to Apex. We're on Reflection in two months time. It will be interesting to see how our Luminae experience is onboard her. 

Let me know how the Luminae is on the Reflection, we sail on her in August from Rome. There must be a lot of crew named Marco. LOL

Edited by terrydtx

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Let me know how the Retreat is on the Reflection, we sail on her in August from Rome. There must be a lot of crew named Marco. LOL

Will do. He was a youngish guy from Indonesia. Very helpful. When struggling to decide on a desert he'd just bring two. Now how can you fault that? lol 

Edited by Moby Jones
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Moby Jones said:

I'd agree the Retreat was designed to increase revenue by improving the suite experience. Which it does. But when comparing retreat costs to other lines I do think Celebrity are really trying to push the boundaries. For example I've just booked an N1 Club Continent suite on Azamara. Not quite an apples to apples comparison with the Always included Sky suite deal but on a cost per night basis roughly factoring in the cost of perks it's around 60% of the cost of our previous Celebrity cruise..

I think Oceania must be more expensive than Azamara. Our canceled  Oceania Marina cruise was in a PH1 or Penthouse Verandah, one step below their suite level and the cost was $560pp per night and we had the no air O Life option with free beer and wine by the glass with lunch and dinners. It did not include tips or have a butler and no OBC. We are booked in the a Sky Suite on the Reflection Premium drinks, WIFI, all tips and a butler plus $800 OBC for $410pp per night. That is a big difference. To be fair we booked the Reflection in January and got a great deal somehow through out TA. Today the Sky Suites are sold out on the cruise but you can book a guarantee for $649pp per night.

Edited by terrydtx

1 hour ago, Aloha 1 said:

Let try to clarify my point. I've been on Century, Solstice, and Millennium class. My point in the discussion was the Oceania ships never seem as crowded even when full.

I prefer Oceania and typically do not eat in the Main Dining room. We actually prefer Terrace Cafe and the ability to dine al fresco to any cruise line we have been on. 

The only time O felt crowded was on R class ships and the weather is inclement. More people inside due to weather brought everyone in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

I think Oceania must be more expensive than Azamara. Our canceled  Oceania Marina cruise was in a PH1 or Penthouse Verandah, one step below their suite level and the cost was $560pp per night and we had the no air O Life option with free beer and wine by the glass with lunch and dinners. It did not include tips or have a butler and no OBC. We are booked in the a Sky Suite on the Reflection Premium drinks, WIFI, all tips and a butler plus $800 OBC for $410pp per night. That is a big difference. To be fair we booked the Reflection in January and got a great deal somehow through out TA. Today the Sky Suites are sold out on the cruise but you can book a guarantee for $649pp per night.

I had cancelled our Refl May 2022 cruise in S1 on the hump and our pp cost was 450 per night, and that was when the S1 was higher than S2-now it seems all the Sky's are the  same except the magic carpets are lower and the aft suites are slighly higher, and I have noted a ~25% increase in cruise prices.

What they have done is raise the prices high to give the 25% discounts, but I think there is more in it for the agents to give away as an incentive--no proof, just a thought. No time to call or e mail around to verify a special discount.

I also get the Aqua  prices and look at the spread in price to S1 -and then down to std veranduh, but on the b2b2b I want to be in the same cabin for all three. And the extra sq footage I think makes a difference  for a longer trip. Just want to make sure the S1 price is not crazy hi.

as  it stands now though, comparing a non revolutionized Reflection this year current price to a 2023 Med cruise on Beyond, the prices are "only" 17% higher on a per night basis for next year.

Edited by HMR74

9 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

I had cancelled our Refl May 2022 cruise in S1 on the hump and our pp cost was 450 per night, and that was when the S1 was higher than S2-now it seems all the Sky's are the  same except the magic carpets are lower and the aft suites are slighly higher, and I have noted a ~25% increase in cruise prices.

What they have done is raise the prices high to give the 25% discounts, but I think there is more in it for the agents to give away as an incentive--no proof, just a thought. No time to call or e mail around to verify a special discount.

I also get the Aqua  prices and look at the spread in price to S1 -and then down to std veranduh, but on the b2b2b I want to be in the same cabin for all three. And the extra sq footage I think makes a difference  for a longer trip. Just want to make sure the S1 price is not crazy hi.

Our Aft facing S1 Sky Suite on the Equinox last August was $499pp per night and included all the Suite amenities. We booked it 90 days before the cruise with no sales other than $100 of on flights by Celebrity. We got 2 first class seats on Delta with FBC from San Antonio to FLL for $600pp.

2 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

Our Aft facing S1 Sky Suite on the Equinox last August was $499pp per night and included all the Suite amenities. We booked it 90 days before the cruise with no sales other than $100 of on flights by Celebrity. We got 2 first class seats on Delta with FBC from San Antonio to FLL for $600pp.

LOL-taking family on thanksgiving cruise, and the fares for premium economy were 818 PP refundable. vs 300  RT if 3 days earlier  before what we have or 3 days after. Vacation prime time. As we get closer to cruise I wil try to change those to non refundabe and get 1200 back.

I generally try to use mileage as it is cancellable w/o fees. But I want to save miles for intl travel. not too long ago I was able to get first class from ORD to Hong Kong for 60k miles, not any more.

If retired and flexible you can find bargains even on non stop flights. It just feels so  good to get a bargain.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

LOL-taking family on thanksgiving cruise, and the fares for premium economy were 818 PP refundable. vs 300  RT if 3 days earlier  before what we have or 3 days after. Vacation prime time. As we get closer to cruise I wil try to change those to non refundabe and get 1200 back.

I generally try to use mileage as it is cancellable w/o fees. But I want to save miles for intl travel. not too long ago I was able to get first class from ORD to Hong Kong for 60k miles, not any more.

If retired and flexible you can find bargains even on non stop flights. It just feels so  good to get a bargain.

We use our Airline points to fly domestic mostly. I had enough American miles to take my son, DIL and granddaughter to St Thomas in coach in June and my wife and I to fly first class. Doing a week long family vacation. June 2023 we are taking the granddaughter on the Equinox with us in a Sky Suite, we got a super deal from X on that cruise. Hope to have enough points by then to fly all 3 of us.

Edited by terrydtx

5 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

We use our Airline points to fly domestic mostly. I had enough American miles to take my son, DIL and granddaughter to St Thomas in coach in June and my wife and I to fly first class. Doing a week long family vacation. June 2023 we are taking the granddaughter on the Equinox with us in a Sky Suite, we got a super deal from X on that cruise. Hope to have enough points by then to fly all 3 of us.

AA wanted 88k for the FLL PP round trip -thats 1% value of points vs our late may 2022 flt back from Rome was 40k for premium economy-more bang for the  buck.

it has become a game of sorts.

1 hour ago, Moby Jones said:

Luminae on the Reflection was a superior experience than on the Apex.

4 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

AA wanted 88k for the FLL PP round trip -thats 1% value of points vs our late may 2022 flt back from Rome was 40k for premium economy-more bang for the  buck.

it has become a game of sorts.

For our 2 cruises in August, one on Celebrity followed by one on HAL, to Italy, we used HAL flight ease to book our business class seats. We are traveling with my sister and BIL. We had been booked RT on Delta for $3140pp with one stop to Rome and one stop home from Venice both stops in Atlanta. I was checking fares everyday and last Sunday I found a fare to Rome on United one stop through Newark and home from Venice on the same Delta flights for $2348pp and I rebooked the 4 of us traveling together. Today that same fare and flights on HAL is $3635pp.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Prior to retiring in 2020, our longest vacation was also10 days. Now we have all the time we need to go anywhere. Our long cruise in 2024 will be in New Zealand, Australia and then to Hawaii, all on the Edge in a Sky Suite, counting land days we will be gone for 45 days. That is a long ways to fly so we want to get as much seen as possible in this one trip

We are also eyeing a possible Edge cruise from Australia to Hawaii in 2024, but nothing has officially been announced and isn’t available yet. I am looking at the final 9-day Australia cruise on 4/5/24 too. 

mac_tlc

5 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

We are also eyeing a possible Edge cruise from Australia to Hawaii in 2024, but nothing has officially been announced and isn’t available yet. I am looking at the final 9-day Australia cruise on 4/5/24 too. 

mac_tlc

The information and rumors from my TA, the Edge will go to Vancouver from Sydney after the April 5th cruise in two segments stopping in Hawaii. The rumors are the Edge will be doing Alaska cruises in Summer 2024. I hope they get released soon because they suites sell out fast on these cruises. The Eclipse is doing the itinerary in April 2023 and the only category still available are inside cabins.

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

The information and rumors from my TA, the Edge will go to Vancouver from Sydney after the April 5th cruise in two segments stopping in Hawaii. The rumors are the Edge will be doing Alaska cruises in Summer 2024. I hope they get released soon because they suites sell out fast on these cruises. The Eclipse is doing the itinerary in April 2023 and the only category still available are inside cabins.

That is what I expect too. Usually 17-18 days for first leg and 10-11 for the second. 

Hope to meet you on board, we can have a drink in the lounge!,

mac_tlc

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Luminae on the Reflection was a superior experience than on the Apex.

Interesting. In what way? We liked the Edge/Apex better then Equinox, mostly because the space was designed from the beginning as Luminae and not cut out of the MDR. Never thought the Edge/Apex was any noisier then Equinox. 

Only advantage on Equinox was the availability of the entire MDR menu.

I wouldn’t say no to either experience!

mac_tlc

40 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Never thought the Edge/Apex was any noisier then Equinox. 

Been on both Edge and Equinox recently. Sat down to dinner in Luminae on Equinox after being on Edge and mentioned to DW "Hey, they have background music." Next time one is in Luminae notice the background music, they all have it. Could be acoustics, could be something else?

10 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Been on both Edge and Equinox recently. Sat down to dinner in Luminae on Equinox after being on Edge and mentioned to DW "Hey, they have background music." Next time one is in Luminae notice the background music, they all have it. Could be acoustics, could be something else?

Hey, here is a great resolution. We both have Iphones with music and bluetooth in-ear devices, so think about how pleasant dinner would be with your spouse if you did not need to speak with each other! Just use your phones or tables to provive your music and drown out the noise that bothers mist people. Or stream a movie or sports. I am actually laughing out loud at this as I type it.

Actually, it woud be nice if there was a piano and pianist in Luminae, just for background music, but with so many different tastes for music, I say you can please most of the people most of the time but not all the people all the time.

I wonder how dinner will be in Luminae on Beyond or Ascent during a rough storm-when up front and on upper deck?