Alcohol storage policy on transatlantic

Smhp

Does anyone know the policy of bringing alcohol on-board to be stored on Embarkation day on a TA? I want to buy scotch from Scotland and Port from Portugal, etc., but I have seen conflicting things if the will store it, like when you buy alcohol at a port, or if they will seize it. 

The rule is you can bring it, they will store it and give it back to you at the end of the cruise. You can not consume drinks bought at a port onboard the ship. Have some people done it and gotten away with it? Yes 

I like to enjoy local drinks and food at ports so I consume what I want at the ports. I take photos of the drinks I order and chances are they have the same wine, spirits or beer at my local Total Wines store - if they don’t they can order it. 

4 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

The rule is you can bring it, they will store it and give it back to you at the end of the cruise. You can not consume drinks bought at a port onboard the ship. Have some people done it and gotten away with it? Yes 

I like to enjoy local drinks and food at ports so I consume what I want at the ports. I take photos of the drinks I order and chances are they have the same wine, spirits or beer at my local Total Wines store - if they don’t they can order it. 

I have bought loads of alcohol at ports along the cruise, but I feel like embarkation day is different, especially since you usually don't deal with Royal Caribbean staff, you are interacting with the local port security. 

I just want to know before going to the Johnny Walker distillery.

4 minutes ago, Smhp said:

I have bought loads of alcohol at ports along the cruise, but I feel like embarkation day is different, especially since you usually don't deal with Royal Caribbean staff, you are interacting with the local port security. 

Oh I see - I didn’t realize you meant embarkation day……well in that case…..if you’re worried about confiscation….check out the rum runner boards. 🤣

• Haha 1

We brought a bottle of bourbon from the US on our TA to Copenhagen, as a gift to a friend.  I had it wrapped in bubble wrap, and labeled with a luggage tag, in my carryon bag expecting them to take it and store it until the last night.  And....they didn't care.  We took it to the room and put it in the safe.  🙂

1 minute ago, flamingos said:

We brought a bottle of bourbon from the US on our TA to Copenhagen, as a gift to a friend.  I had it wrapped in bubble wrap, and labeled with a luggage tag, in my carryon bag expecting them to take it and store it until the last night.  And....they didn't care.  We took it to the room and put it in the safe.  🙂

Was the bottle of similar shape as a wine bottle? Maybe they thought it was wine? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Was the bottle of similar shape as a wine bottle? Maybe they thought it was wine? 

Nope - Woodford Reserve.  🙂   Port security doesn't care if you bring alcohol, they care about firearms and bombs and such.   Ship security, returning from port? They care.

Just now, flamingos said:

Nope - Woodford Reserve.  🙂   Port security doesn't care if you bring alcohol, they care about firearms and bombs and such.   Ship security, returning from port? They care.

I once was able to pass through port security with a wine Magnum (New Years Cruise) without incident but have heard of others having their forbidden concoctions confiscated. It seems like it’s hit or miss. 

• Like 1

On boarding day, guests may bring onboard two (2) 750 ml bottles of personal wine or champagne per stateroom in their carry-on luggage. If more than two bottles of wine or champagne are brought onboard, including any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, they will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on your last day onboard.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-alcohol-guest-policy

• Like 2

In the past I have packed a small separate suitcase with alcohol I want to bring home from abroad along with some clothes and other items I will not be needing during the transit.  The funny part is when I am called to the "naughty room", they ask me if I have alcohol.  I say yes and they can hold onto the suitcase until the end of the cruise.  The look on their faces is priceless.

So short answer is they will store it for you.  Pack it separately, put it in your checked luggage or even carry on and they will take it after security. 

• Like 1

We tried to hand over about 6 bottles in Barcelona. The port staff was mystified. No matter how much we said it had to be locked away, they wouldn’t cooperate!

The wine spent the  transatlantic in our closet.

Which is to say, I guess it depends on your port of departure. The Spanish perspective is, I think- it’s yours, you bought it, and if you want to drink it, cheers!

We claimed everything, by the way. 11 bottles (there were stops in the Canary Islands…😁)

1 hour ago, flamingos said:

On boarding day, guests may bring onboard two (2) 750 ml bottles of personal wine or champagne per stateroom in their carry-on luggage. If more than two bottles of wine or champagne are brought onboard, including any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, they will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on your last day onboard.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/onboard-alcohol-guest-policy

I have seen that but in same link this is written, hence my confusion: 

Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

On 3/5/2022 at 11:56 AM, Smhp said:

Johnny Walker is a blended whisky.  There is not a Johnny Walker distillery.  The parent company owns a number of distilleries and they take the whisky from all of them (and some they buy from other distilleries) to mix together to make their various whiskies.

• Like 1

just mentioning that we were in St. Maarten recently and some friends of our brought two bottles of vodka back on board after an excursion.  We shared drinks that evening.

We also bought a couple bottles of bourbon in one of the on board stores a couple days before the end of the cruise and they let us take it back to the room. We opened one and shared it with our friends who shared their vodka with us earlier.   We did not have a drink package so that was a nice surprise since all I drink is bourbon and scotch on the rocks (and free vodka).