Infinite Veranda tips

budmeister

Hi,

I book an infinite veranda, not realizing that the shade was right at the window- meaning I cannot enjoy my sea view balcony and my husband closed curtains for napping at the same time. It is too late to change rooms types. Has anyone figured a out a fix- like a way to hang a curtain or sheet from the walls to block the sun?

Thanks for any tips!

We have a short dark curtain  purchased from Walmart and some magnetic hooks.  We put the hooks on the ceiling and hang the curtain.  It blocks enough light that I can raise the shade enough ( 30%) to read and see the ocean but not a view.  We always choose the bed by the bath so the bed is farther from the window.  Not sure how effective this would be if the bed is by the window.

Thanks @cruisestitch for posting my photo😊

Edited by jelayne
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We have a short dark curtain  purchased from Walmart and some magnetic hooks.  We put the hooks on the ceiling and hang the curtain.  It blocks enough light that I can raise the shade enough ( 30%) to read and see the ocean but not a view.  We always choose the bed by the bath so the bed is farther from the window.  Not sure how effective this would be if the bed is by the window.

Thanks @cruisestitch for posting my photo😊

I never knew that was yours!

• Like 1

Just now, cruisestitch said:

I never knew that was yours!

Yes, January 2019.  
We still use the curtain, take it on most cruises not just E class.  DH is a late riser so pre curtain I stumbled around in the dark most mornings , only cracking open the drape enough to avoid killing myself.  It blocks enough light that I can open the drapes enough to move around safely and even read the newspaper on-line.

We must be the only ones not bothered by the light; probably helped in that the French door from our bedroom to back porch has no curtain (no nearby houses in that direction).  Since we are used to light, on our 14 nights on Apex last October, we only lowered the shade once to watch it operate and it was down less than a minute.  I loved waking and immediately seeing the night sky, the sunrise or an approaching port.

We also never closed the bifold doors, whether the window was lowered or not

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Modern luxury at its finest…

buy a black shower curtain and lots of magnets

73C57C37-5EFE-4571-AF13-085ADA7131D9.jpeg

Stayed twice in an IV.  We live in bedroom caves at home, never had an issue onboard.

You keep giving advice on E-Class IVs, have you ever traveled in one.

3 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Buy your husband a sleep mask so you won’t need to stumble in the dark.   It will be much safer for  you and make it easier to live with a late sleeper.

Yes, sleep masks are the best solution.  That and booking a real veranda next time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, basenji56 said:

Yes, sleep masks are the best solution.  That and booking a real veranda next time.

Real veranda doesn’t solve the problem of keeping light out if 1 wants to sleep in and another wants to read a book, apply make-up, do a crossword puzzle, the curtain works for us

To @Covepointcruiserwe tried the sleep masks and it was more bothersome than light- it bothered him when it was dark so by morning it had been tossed away,

Edited by jelayne
Typo

This is just a thought as I haven’t tried this. Attach pieces of blackout material, or black shower curtain,  cut to fit  the  windows in the framework of the french doors with magnets. This would be much easier, and safer,  than putting hooks on the ceiling. The room would be darker when the doors are closed ( allowing one person to sleep and the other to enjoy the view); and wide open to the IV when the doors are folded back and open. Easy to install and easy to disassemble to take home. You would just need yardage of blackout material or a couple shower curtains, magnets and scissors.

• Like 1