Seattle Pre-Cruise Hotel Recommendation

islesdave

My husband and I had a Seattle weekend stay early March (2022).  While we stayed at the Westin, which was very nice, we had breakfast at the Mayflower's Andaluca Restaurant both Saturday and Sunday.  The food was great and the service was outstanding.  The price was quite reasonable with breakfast entrees $15-$17.  Saturday evening we met a friend at the Mayflower's bar, Oliver's, had a couple of cocktails and ordered a quick dinner from the bar menu (a sandwich for me and  Cioppino for them which was on their fresh sheet.

So, even if you don't stay at the Mayflower, do check out Andaluca's and Oliver's.

2 hours ago, Glaciers said:

The Mayflower is a good hotel at a more reasonable price than many downtown.  Its 1 block from the Westlake Center where there is a light rail station as well as the monorail for quick trips up to the Seattle Center/Space Needle and just a 4 block walk to Pike Place Market. It gets mentioned, and recommended frequently, by locals over at Trip Advisor.

Thank you 

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

My husband and I had a Seattle weekend stay early March (2022).  While we stayed at the Westin, which was very nice, we had breakfast at the Mayflower's Andaluca Restaurant both Saturday and Sunday.  The food was great and the service was outstanding.  The price was quite reasonable with breakfast entrees $15-$17.  Saturday evening we met a friend at the Mayflower's bar, Oliver's, had a couple of cocktails and ordered a quick dinner from the bar menu (a sandwich for me and  Cioppino for them which was on their fresh sheet.

So, even if you don't stay at the Mayflower, do check out Andaluca's and Oliver's.

That is the plan.  It looks like Andaluca served dinner a few years ago.  I wonder if it was a Covid casualty.

On 3/8/2022 at 9:37 PM, Glaciers said:

Yes, the Marriott is a dandy location for the night before a NCL cruise. Not the best if you will be spending a few days exploring Seattle.

We would like to stay within the Marriott chain of hotels. Have 3 days pre NCL cruise to sightsee as well. Where are the best locations for hotels to be close to sites and not an outrageous taxi or uber the morning of the cruise. Thank you!

On 3/9/2022 at 6:31 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

@scottca075and @Glaciers are correct that the Marriott Waterfront is a bit of an uphill walk to the DT Seattle core, including the light rail station, the monorail and stores.  Pike Place Market is closer.    (To avoid some very steep hills, you need to pick the right streets as you traverse Seattle). 

The Marriott Waterfront is very convenient to Pier 66 (NCL) and the Seattle Waterfront - seafood restaurants, Argosy Sightseeing boat tours,  the Aquarium,  the Seattle Eye Ferris Wheel,  WA State Ferry and other attractions.

What would be a better location, preferably in the Marriott chain of hotels for 3 days of sightseeing? Don't mind a reasonable taxi or uber to the pier. Thank you

11 hours ago, lovetotraveltx said:

We would like to stay within the Marriott chain of hotels. Have 3 days pre NCL cruise to sightsee as well. Where are the best locations for hotels to be close to sites and not an outrageous taxi or uber the morning of the cruise. Thank you!

Depends on the sights you want to see, etc, but look at the W Seattle, SpringHill Suites Downtown, Residence Inn Downtown or maybe the Residence Inn Lake Union.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 4:55 PM, psuboater said:

I've stayed at the Hampton Inn SeaTac airport - it's clean and the cheapest mid-brand hotel consistently. 

We are considering this hotel for our July 1st Celebrity Solstice sailing. We will fly in the day before arriving late afternoon/early evening. Plan to use Seattle Express the next morning to get to the pier.

About 20 years ago we sailed out of Seattle on Princess. We stayed at the Marriot along the waterfront and enjoyed the hotel & location. Do not feel the need this trip to be in that area for the night.

• Like 1

We (hubs, myself and 14 yr old son) are coming in 2 days before our cruise July 19. We are looking at staying by Pike Place Market. We are looking at the Oxford or Palihotel . Are these centrally located to most touristy things ( the Market of course, Space Needle , thinking of doing a harbor cruise and just walking around)? We just booked this cruise because of the deals and hoping to get some great info to lead us in the right direction. 

Just now, Ferry_Watcher said:

@Glaciers  Any thoughts about theses hotels, my friend?

Ha!  I'd never heard of them. Nice locations. Have to assume they don't have air conditioning and that would be a deal breaker for us in the summer. I don't know that though. We're walking down to the market tomorrow morning and I'll take a peek. It's not just about the AC but the associated noise from having to keep the windows open like you do at the Moore.

• Thanks 1

They do not have air conditioning which isn't a deal breaker for us . The noise wouldn't bother me but may affect the hubs. I really like the price /location and at about $350 cheaper for the 2 days than others we looked at I may just buy him earplugs. If you find anything else out about them Id appreciate it . 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, boomonster said:

We (hubs, myself and 14 yr old son) are coming in 2 days before our cruise July 19. We are looking at staying by Pike Place Market. We are looking at the Oxford or Palihotel . Are these centrally located to most touristy things ( the Market of course, Space Needle , thinking of doing a harbor cruise and just walking around)? We just booked this cruise because of the deals and hoping to get some great info to lead us in the right direction. 

Any reason you want to stay by the Pike Place Market? I'd rather be at the Hyatt House by the Space Needle with a teen.

I've never stayed at the Palihotel in Seattle, but the Palihotels in So Cal and San Francisco are great.

@boomonster

The Oxford is pre-reserve, keypad entry and no front desk so I wasn’t able to go inside. I did speak with a couple who was exiting the hotel and they said it was fine and they were happy with it. I asked about noise and they said they weren’t too bothered by it and there are earplugs available but they kept the windows closed.  It’s on busy 1st Ave  and he did say the windows are thin.

Both the Oxford and Palihotel are in great areas for exploring with the Pali being a bit better. I was impressed as soon as I walked through the front door of the Pali. They have their own bar & restaurant which is nice but with all the options in that area I’m not sure I’d use it much or at all.  I was able to check out a couple rooms.  The room facing 1st Ave would be a bit noisy with the windows open. It was nice with older décor and each room has a small fridge. The other room, 311, was very cool with both a claw tub and shower, king bed and a large sofa. It overlooks the rooftop of another building and would be much quieter of the two. He noted it was a studio unit. Snagging a room on the Pine St side rather than 1st Ave might mitigate the noise a bit.

Although I wasn’t able to explore the Oxford, the Pali would be my choice and I will certainly recommend it in the future.

• Like 1

I do greatly appreciate you checking them out for us . Super impressed that you could check out the rooms at the Pali. The bar may be nice when the teen sleeps. Makes my choice even harder now. The teen wanted to be by the market (ease of food access I assume 😄 ). I will also check out the Mayflower with air conditioning.  Thanks again everyone for your help . You all Rock!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Sandyrella said:

What are your thoughts on the Kimpton Hotel Vintage Seattle?   Is it easy walking to Pikes Place Market?  I have a feeling we will be doing a lot of eating there.

I love the Hotel Vintage and have been staying there almost since Kimpton first opened the hotel. It also contains one of my favorite restaurants in the city, Tulio.

The walk to Pike Place Market (no "s" on Pike) is easy, just over a half mile.

Why and where will you be "doing a lot of eating" at Pike Place? There are a couple of decent places to eat, but nothing "OMG amazing". Seattle is a great restaurant city. It would be a shame to limit yourself.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

I love the Hotel Vintage and have been staying there almost since Kimpton first opened the hotel. It also contains one of my favorite restaurants in the city, Tulio.

The walk to Pike Place Market (no "s" on Pike) is easy, just over a half mile.

Why and where will you be "doing a lot of eating" at Pike Place? There are a couple of decent places to eat, but nothing "OMG amazing". Seattle is a great restaurant city. It would be a shame to limit yourself.

Thanks for your input on the hotel and also for the correction on the name of the market....my bad...no "s" in the name. 🙃

We've been watching Youtube videos of street food in Seattle and feel that we will get more than our fill at the market.  We are not big eaters so a bowl of chowder can last us a good part of the day.  We also come from the "Food Capital of North America " (Montreal) so we don't feel a need to take too much time out of visit to have a lengthy expensive meal. We'll be on a cruise for a week after that so we can take our time then.  We are really interested in foods that are unique to the region.  It seems that the market offers a lot of this.

12 minutes ago, Sandyrella said:

Thanks for your input on the hotel and also for the correction on the name of the market....my bad...no "s" in the name. 🙃

We've been watching Youtube videos of street food in Seattle and feel that we will get more than our fill at the market.  We are not big eaters so a bowl of chowder can last us a good part of the day.  We also come from the "Food Capital of North America " (Montreal) so we don't feel a need to take too much time out of visit to have a lengthy expensive meal. We'll be on a cruise for a week after that so we can take our time then.  We are really interested in foods that are unique to the region.  It seems that the market offers a lot of this.

See my reply in your other topic 🙂