Seattle Pre-Cruise Hotel Recommendation

islesdave

Looking for a recommendation for a pre-cruise hotel for July 7-10.  While I'd love to find one with a shuttle to the port, it is more important for it to be within walking distance of the downtown attractions.  I'd like to not break the bank too.

I am staying at Hilton Garden Inn downtown for my May cruise. Holiday Inn downtown was my other option with a good location, good reviews and decent price for the area.

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 3

Any hotel near the Westlake Center would be the best although prices downtown can get ridiculous in that area during the summer.  Be careful that some hotels that indicated “downtown” in their name are actually near South Lake Union and/or Lower Queen Anne/Uptown.

The Mayflower gets consistently good reviews and is one block to Westlake which is where the light rail and monorail dept from and is a bit more reasonable than many in the downtown core.  I don’t know any hotel downtown that offers free shuttles to the cruise terminals. Another option is the Mediterranean Inn on Lower Queen Anne. There are several restaurants in the area and it’s just a short walk to the Seattle Center/Space Needle and where the monorail is for the couple minute trip into downtown. In the past shuttles to both cruise terminals were $10 per person.  If you really want to pick it up a bit, try the Inn at the Market, across the street from Pike Place Market. Excellent location and their rates reflect it.  

• Like 2

I'm sailing from Vancouver but flying to Seattle and won't arrive until about 10 pm.  So I just need somewhere reasonable and clean for the night.  I'll get a shuttle in the morning.

Hilton Garden Inn, HIE, and couple of different Hamptons all seem reasonable.  I'll be there 5/31.

Any recommendations for hotels near Seatac?  I am planning to get a shuttle day of cruise to the port.  Several years ago, I stayed at Sleep Inn.  I liked the hotel but when I called the hotel to make a reservation, I found out something I didn't like.

14 hours ago, islesdave said:

Looking for a recommendation for a pre-cruise hotel for July 7-10.  While I'd love to find one with a shuttle to the port, it is more important for it to be within walking distance of the downtown attractions.  I'd like to not break the bank too.

Not sure what price range range is "break the bank", but my usuals for what I think is reasonable are Hyatt 8 Olive, Kimpton Hotel Vintage, Kimpton Palladian Hotel and The Charter Hotel.

@scottca075and @Glaciers are correct that the Marriott Waterfront is a bit of an uphill walk to the DT Seattle core, including the light rail station, the monorail and stores.  Pike Place Market is closer.    (To avoid some very steep hills, you need to pick the right streets as you traverse Seattle). 

The Marriott Waterfront is very convenient to Pier 66 (NCL) and the Seattle Waterfront - seafood restaurants, Argosy Sightseeing boat tours,  the Aquarium,  the Seattle Eye Ferris Wheel,  WA State Ferry and other attractions.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Why isn't it "the best" is you are spending a few days exploring Seattle?

I live a few blocks from the Marriott and it’s a great area to live, not so much to explore Seattle. As mentioned, everything except the waterfront is up hill. There are stairs and several elevators to get you up to the downtown core area including Pike Place Market although the elevator next to the Marriott has been closed for two years and it looks like it will be another year before its open. It also limits your transportation options as the monorail, light rail and main bus lines are up the hill in town.

We stayed there a couple times before moving here and although a very nice hotel, it wouldn’t be our first choice. The Edgewater across the street is superior with unobstructed views of Elliott Bay, if being on the waterfront is important.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sea saw 56 said:

If cruising out of Pier 66, is either of the two (between Marriott Waterfront and Edgewater) an easier walk, or closer, for two "seniors" with a decent amount of luggage for a 10 day cruise?

The Edgewater is closer, but both are close and great. Either is a great choice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sea saw 56 said:

If cruising out of Pier 66, is either of the two (between Marriott Waterfront and Edgewater) an easier walk, or closer, for two "seniors" with a decent amount of luggage for a 10 day cruise?

If it were between the two the Edgewater is certainly going to be the more charming by a long shot. The Marriott is a very sterile, corporate hotel whereas the Edgewater has a ton of fun history and is very much a product of the Pacific Northwest. Plus your room is out over the water which is fun in itself. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sea saw 56 said:

...definitely made the decision easy.

If the decision was The Edgewater, the best rooms are on the water side. Several dozen trains per day travel along the tracks across the street and there can be noise if you are sensitive. The Marriott would be a better choice in that case.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 3:15 PM, WELDON said:

Any recommendations for hotels near Seatac?  I am planning to get a shuttle day of cruise to the port.  Several years ago, I stayed at Sleep Inn.  I liked the hotel but when I called the hotel to make a reservation, I found out something I didn't like.

I've stayed at the Hampton Inn SeaTac airport - it's clean and the cheapest mid-brand hotel consistently. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 9:10 AM, islesdave said:

The Inn at Virginia Mason is very reasonably priced and within walking distance - depending on your energy level you might want to taxi back to avoid the uphill walk. There is always a trade-off:  best location vs. best price vs. comfortable accommodations — you can’t have it all.

10 minutes ago, MikeBayAreaCa said:

Any opinions on the Mayflower in downtown Seattle.

The Mayflower is a good hotel at a more reasonable price than many downtown.  Its 1 block from the Westlake Center where there is a light rail station as well as the monorail for quick trips up to the Seattle Center/Space Needle and just a 4 block walk to Pike Place Market. It gets mentioned, and recommended frequently, by locals over at Trip Advisor.