Zuiderdam - A Few Questions

trixiee

15 hours ago, IPB4IGO said:

Look carefully at the deck plans for verandah cabins on the Zuiderdam and its sister ships. On some decks, the balconies are much more shallow depending whether you are amidship or aft.

I don't know if it violates some Cruise Critic rule to post this link, but here is an exhaustive discussion of cabins on Vista-class ships:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10703-k8365331-o460-HAL_Noordam_Zuiderdam_Oosterdam_Westerdam_cabin_choices-Cruises.html

Thanks IPB..  Very informative thread. We're sailing in a starboard aft balcony cabin on Zuiderdam in April. 🙂

2 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Thanks IPB..  Very informative thread. We're sailing in a starboard aft balcony cabin on Zuiderdam in April. 🙂

Informative but not 100% accurate - For Example, the aft-wrap Neptunes are far larger on deck 5 than they mentioned on Deck 4.  I have been in both and would take a deck 5 without question.

On 3/7/2022 at 8:06 PM, KroozNut said:

Here's a link for the most recent photos of Zuiderdam I could find on Cruise Critic. Not sure when they were actually taken, but the MDR photos still show the gaudy (in my opinion) red/purple color scheme.😕

https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/zuiderdam-266/

I found newer photos of the dining room in a general online search (no link, sorry) - looks like more creams and blues on new chairs now and not their debut reds and purples, which were pretty jarring  When the Vista ships were introduced I  swore I would never sail on the Zuiderdam for that same reason - the reds and purples looked just awful in the photos.

But after an Alaska cruise we  felt the over all look was more elegant than what we had anticipated, since those colors played off darker "mahogany" walls. But we also had a table way in the back away from those "chandeliers" and enjoyed the midnight sun views out the back windows.

I am pretty sure on a later Zuiderdam cruises they had gotten rid of that earlier jarring color scheme. Good cruises on the Zuiderdam and do like their Signature Suite cabins - between verandah and Neptune - just the perfect size. If they could only squeeze in a Tamarind restaurant this Vista class would be an all time winner. 

1 hour ago, OlsSalt said:

I found newer photos of the dining room in a general online search (no link, sorry) - looks like more creams and blues on new chairs now and not their debut reds and purples, which were pretty jarring  When the Vista ships were introduced I  swore I would never sail on the Zuiderdam for that same reason - the reds and purples looked just awful in the photos.

But after an Alaska cruise we  felt the over all look was more elegant than what we had anticipated, since those colors played off darker "mahogany" walls. But we also had a table way in the back away from those "chandeliers" and enjoyed the midnight sun views out the back windows.

I am pretty sure on a later Zuiderdam cruises they had gotten rid of that earlier jarring color scheme. Good cruises on the Zuiderdam and do like their Signature Suite cabins - between verandah and Neptune - just the perfect size. If they could only squeeze in a Tamarind restaurant this Vista class would be an all time winner. 

Do you get extra mariner points for the signature suites? I do have my eye on one, if the extra large balcony cabins are booked. I have an appointment with my PCC tomorrow to confirm my booking and discuss cabins. 

1 minute ago, trixiee said:

Do you get extra mariner points for the signature suites? I do have my eye on one, if the extra large balcony cabins are booked. I have an appointment with my PCC tomorrow to confirm my booking and discuss cabins. 

Any cabin with the term "suite" in the description gets double day points.  Vista, Signature, Neptune or Pinnacle.

• Like 2

Just now, DaveOKC said:

Any cabin with the term "suite" in the description gets double day points.  Vista, Signature, Neptune or Pinnacle.

If you book a suite originally. If you get a suite through an up-sell or up-grade, you do not receive double day points.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

If you book a suite originally. If you get a suite through an up-sell or up-grade, you do not receive double day points.

Good point!  If you upsell or get upgraded FROM a Suite to a better Suite you still get the double points.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 10:26 AM, dchip said:

Zuiderdam MDR 3/8/22

8D3422C3-DFFA-43D2-B074-551D0CF49542.jpeg

B5A900A0-2C0B-4603-9892-C8C8E5684891.jpeg

I couldn't figure out whose legs those were and where was the body????   Until I figured out it was 2 pictures.   I'm going to bed 🙂

• Haha 9

On 3/7/2022 at 2:10 PM, dogo88 said:

We've been on the Zuiderdam 5 times over the years. Our last trip was this year 1/2-1/16 through the Panama Canal from San Diego to Ft Lauderdale, Fl. Our cabin was 6141 and it was great. I was impressed with the condition of the ship and the facilities. The ship was only about half full but everything looked good and worked! In fact we felt that the ship was in better condition than in prior cruises on it. 

I don't remember the colors of the main dining room but purple and red would not be an attractive setting. We ate mainly in the specialty restaurants.  With a half full ship reservation were never an issue. Pinnacle was great but the Canaletto had major improvements over past menu options. 

All in all the cruise was pretty awesome. We would not hesitate to go on her again.

I booked 4164!  The balcony sold me!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

I couldn't figure out whose legs those were and where was the body????   Until I figured out it was 2 pictures.   I'm going to bed 🙂

I stand corrected - they obviously changed the dining room chair colors to blue, cream and flesh-colored.

😜

17 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

It really helps a lot if people simply put a space between each photo.  I always do but I use a laptop not my IPhone to post.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

do like their Signature Suite cabins - between verandah and Neptune - just the perfect size. If they could only squeeze in a Tamarind restaurant this Vista class would be an all time winner. 

Signature suites are an exceptionally good stateroom category in my opinion.  Agree, adding Tamarind would be good as would adding the Grand Dutch Cafe that is on the Pinnacle Class ships.  

• Like 1

On 3/10/2022 at 10:28 PM, HAL4NOW said:

Upgrade you do not get points. Upsell you do since you paid for it. 

At least you use to.  I did in 2010.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VermeulT said:

Upgrade you do not get points. Upsell you do since you paid for it. 

At least you use to.  I did in 2010.

In April of 2019 we took an upsell on the Zaandam from an Ocean View to a Vista Suite. We are quite pleased that we took the upsell for this 20-day cruise that took us from San Antonio, Chili, north along the South American coastline, through the Panama Canal, to the ABC Islands, and then to FLL. We only received single days for Mariner credits plus the spending credit. I did contact HAL about this and was told it did not apply to upsells. This was our experience; I know that all things HAL may vary, and your experience may have been different.

Here is the wording from the HAL Mariner's Society web page: 

• Suite Bonus Earn double Cruise Day credits when you pay a published fare for a spacious suite or penthouse on your next cruise. For example, a guest who pays published fare for suite accommodations for a 10-day cruise earns 20 Cruise Day credits. Special paid or complimentary upgrades do not qualify.
Edited by HAL4NOW
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

It really helps a lot if people simply put a space between each photo.  I always do but I use a laptop not my IPhone to post.

Sorry about no spacing between the photos.  Those photos had a mind of their own as does the WIFI on the ship!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, HAL4NOW said:

In April of 2019 we took an upsell on the Zaandam from an Ocean View to a Vista Suite. We are quite pleased that we took the upsell for this 20-day cruise that took us from San Antonio, Chili, north along the South American coastline, through the Panama Canal, to the ABC Islands, and then to FLL. We only received single days for Mariner credits plus the spending credit. I did contact HAL about this and was told it did not apply to upsells.

I suspect it changed over the years.  2010 WAS a long time ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rtdiva said:

Different topic: On a Mexican cruise most cruisers no longer dress formally, what about the Zuiderdam?

There are always some that do and some that don't.    I fall into the later category....I dress nicely but this overweight body is not getting in a glitzy gown and wearing high heels.   My husband wears a button down shirt (not Hawaiian).   We also don't want to pack suits/extra shoes/evening gowns.     We also choose to eat in one of the Specialty Restaurants on formal night.

I know others that absolutely love formal nights, and it's the highlight of their cruise.  

1 hour ago, cruzin4us said:

I know others that absolutely love formal nights, and it's the highlight of their cruise.  

Highlight of our cruises? ... No, but we do enjoy them as a nice part of the whole cruise experience.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rtdiva said:

Different topic: On a Mexican cruise most cruisers no longer dress formally, what about the Zuiderdam?

I did the Mexican Riviera in November on the Konigsdam, and there were lots of people dressed up.  It was much less casual than what I've seen on Princess, same itinerary.

• Like 1

We just booked our first cruise on a Vista on Zuidi. We have a VC. (It’s also our first balcony cabin: we normally do inside or oceanview, on R, S and Prinsendam). 

Will there be a DVD player, or will we have any access to HDMI? I’m looking at loading up my iPad or bringing DVDs we have not yet watched.

Does anyone know the size of the table on the balcony?

Thanks!

Edited by TiogaCruiser