The Daily for Tuesday 03/08/2022

richwmn

Today is National Organize Your Home Office Day, International (Working) Women’s Day, and National Proofreading Day

Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.--Robert A. Heinlein, Stranger in a Strange Land

Meal Suggestion for today - hot dogs beans
Drink of the Day - Cruzan Coquito
Wine of the Day - The Eyrie Vineyards 2019 Estate Pinot Gris (Dundee
Destination of the Day - Durban, South Africa

Ships With Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Eurodam   Destination Port Everglades, F eta 3/9
Rotterdam   Destination Bimini Sands Resor eta 3/9

Cabo San Lucas, MX

Koningsdam  

Grand Turk Island, Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos

Nieuw Statendam   10:00 - 17:00

Kahului, Maui Island, Hawaii

Zuiderdam   08:00 - 18:00

St Croix Island USVI, Frederiksted-Christiansted, US Virgin Islands

Nieuw Amsterdam  

Ships Without Passengers

At Sea Caribbean

Noordam   Drifting

Cadiz SP

Volendam   Shipyard
Zaandam   Shipyard

Limassol, CY

Oosterdam   Anchorage

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam  

0308World.thumb.png.ac36f69bb4503af46aa64bae2c33fd0f.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 10

Good morning and thanks for the Daily Report.

Happy Women's Day. 

Love the quote.

I'll pass on the meal suggestion.  I'm sure the drink and wine will be good.

We had more snow overnight, the sound of the plow woke me up at 4.  We may have to get the snowblower out to clear the driveway.  It's supposed to warm up to 1C this afternoon.  I'll bundle up soon and take Bertie for his walk.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 27

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  3 great days.  I don't really have a home office and what I do have is pretty disorganized.  We had a fantastic proofreader in my office when I was working, and working women deserve a lot of credit, as do those who work taking care of a home and family.  A lot of truth in today's quote.  Been to Durban just once on Crystal Serenity (2014) although I was scheduled to return in 2020 on QM2.  I'm not a fan of the type of beans that are paired with hot dogs.  My alternative is Chilled Pineapple Pina Colada, Pineapple Glazed Ham, and Postachio Ice Cream as served on MS Prinsendam March 8, 2019 and I hope the inklings of a return of chilled soups is true:

dishes08.jpg

I think the consensus here is that HALSailor should remain on the care rotation and I will keep it.

Today’s care list:

Kakalina with esophageal blockage and numbered days
Ukraine

StLouisCruiser’s niece Jen with post fall complications
Sea Viewer DH bruised from fall
Strength for Jacqui as Jose continues to decline, the doctors and a happy remaining life for Marley
Welfare of furloughed crews
ger_77 DH Cardiac procedure recovery
Tana with pneumonia
Lady Hudson DSIL recovering from stent placement
Cruzn Terri DH visit to ER with abdominal pain and no resolution
From the rotation:
Cruzn single post-covid fatigue
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise
StLouisCruisers Niece DH undergoing throat cancer chemo
Marshhawk awaiting surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard tupper10
Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with passengers
4 days for Navybikermom (Nieuw Amsterdam to 3/19)
4 days for DeeniEncinitas (Ruby Princess to 3/27)
5 days for GTVCCRUISER (Koningsdam to 3/20)
smitty34877  packing supplies for Ukraine
Aliaschief and Dwaliaschier (Azamara Quest to 3/17), kb4683 (Nieuw Statendam t 3/16), Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3) at sea
 DeeniEncinitas ashore briefly
cunnorl taking over golf tournament for injured friend
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - officially onboard & introduced. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich and Roy for the various lists.

Pauline has worked from home for 2 years but is due to go back to her new office in 3 weeks time.

The quote is true.

Never been to today's port so photos welcome.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

• Like 27

Thank you for today’s, Daily, Rich! The female Dailyites all know that whether paid or not, most women work everyday. So I will raise my glass to the women of the world. 

WE HAD SOME RAIN last night! Including a big downpour. It is a tiny bit foggy, but it was already 69 at 6 a.m. And now the sun is up. I could live like this forever. Rain at night & sunny days. 🤔

Thank you for keeping our lists Roy. Morning Dailyites. @ger_77, Gerry, hope all is well with DH, and you slept well. 

Off to the gym.  Then more helping a neighbor pack. When we wrapped up yesterday, they gave us our drink of choice and a piece of bubble wrap. 😎

Some random smiles…

1851F677-11B6-4DC4-AA43-A78F25C1F9AB.jpeg.34dc1f73e96a668d937dfea5c641b941.jpeg

D8A93086-3E9F-4D6B-B67B-ECE0673CE82A.jpeg.2a26a0f56c611ac18426d88bd5dbabc2.jpeg

791DC774-FE29-4702-BAC6-7D0D086447F2.jpeg.02881ad77befed1eab30dbc78eb62fbc.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

The Eyrie Vineyards 2019 Estate Pinot Gris

This Pinot Gris has excellent ratings and a very reasonable price. A decent number of online distributors with prices starting at $19.95. Another one for my list. Winemaker Notes

This Pinot Gris presents concentrated aromatics of pear, citrus, and spring greens. The palate unfolds a spectrum of pome fruits and crushed fennel. The racy natural acidity is complemented by a texture that is round while still being dry and light. Refreshing, direct, with the focused acidity and lingering finish that define Eyrie Pinot Gris.

WE94 Wine Enthusiast

The tawny gold color belies the youth of this wine, and sure enough it’s moved ahead on the aging curve to where it is already in a prime drinking window. Full-bodied, chewy and tannic, it’s a potent wine with an assortment of herb, citrus and tree fruit elements all in a pleasing tangle. Drink through 2030. Editors’ Choice

RP92 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The 2019 Pinot Gris The Eyrie is scented of warm apples, citrus and exotic spices. The palate is lovely, textural and intense, with delicate flavors that gain intensity on the long, juicy finish. There's always a special quality and unique character to this Eyrie Pinot Gris.

JS90 James Suckling

A cheesy and briny nose to start, followed by sliced pears and white pepper. It’s medium-to full-bodied with tangy acidity. Lemon-pith notes on the finish. Drink now.

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

sitting in The Grand Bar

ready to disembark!! Such a fantastic adventure and now 3 days in FLL at Hilton Beach Hotel and next Panama Canal!! 2 years ago on March 11th our cruise on Rotterdam through the Panama Canal was cut short on the 15th and home we went from PV! Dixie was also on the cruise with us! Never made it to Miami to do Oceania TA then 2 cruises in Europe on her! So I am great full for our 17 days on her this time!

GOOD MORNING TO ALL ON THE DAILYITES!

🌺🌺MAHALO 

DENISE 🌺☺️

image.thumb.jpeg.f4e1816bd460193ea41e7e22849f34d5.jpeg

• Like 39
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone.

Yesterday's gloomy skies have given way to blue ones today.   Temps should get to low 40s, which is better than low 20s.  We are slowly warming up.  Not much planned today except the pool and a haircut.  I had meetings yesterday and spent the rest of the time making phone calls.   One was to set up a phone call with my spine doctor.  I am having an MRI on March 16 just so we can figure out what is going on and had to set up a follow up appointment.  To go into the office for the follow up, the earliest date was April 25th.   For a phone call follow up, the earliest date was April 19th.  For a phone call?  Seriously?  

Today's meal is another blast from the past.  Hot dogs and beans can be as easy as opening the can of beans, pouring into a pot and adding hot dogs.  Most people like to doctor up the beans a bit.  Here are a couple of ways.  https://www.southyourmouth.com/2015/04/franks-beans.html

1020618675_hotdogsandbeans1.thumb.jpg.82560e8f173811dde70fe202af3cfe46.jpg

The biggest variation seems to be the amount of sugar that is added, either in the form of brown sugar, ketchup, or molasses.    https://www.thespruceeats.com/slow-baked-beans-and-franks-meal-3051239

108600683_hotdogsandbeans2.thumb.jpg.55f42823afa6b41a64d545b7e741da8a.jpg

I don't think we ever had canned baked beans when I was a kid.   Mom always made her own and they were good.  She even had the classic bean pot to make them in.  They were a staple in the winter time, and yes, we had brown bread as well.   https://newengland.com/today/food/boston-style-baked-beans/

boston-baked-beans-dt.jpg.cb440ecb15712d165331dbd280d3674b.jpg

I think Mom's were a little darker than what is pictured here, but this does bring back memories of family dinners.  

Prayers for all who need them, especially the people of Ukraine.   Cheers to those celebrating.  I wish you all a fantastic day.

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the Tuesday Daily, Rich

I have been celebrating organize your home office day for a number of days - except it’s DH’s home office not mine 😉  It was sacrosanct and now, I’m trying to put some sense into it all.  I’ll happily celebrate women’s day and, as far as I am concerned, all women work and dam hard whether it be outside the home or not 😉 Don’t argue with me on that one or I’ll get out my broom 😉 

58FB3413-96AB-4F76-877C-2E4BE8694DA8.thumb.jpeg.f2d97d02035c35cf357c755f8a81d44d.jpeg

Love today’s quote.  Bang on and so true!

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion, thanks but pretty sure I’ll take the wine.  Pinot Gris?  Yum.

BB1BC761-2A6E-4E55-9A97-9231EA84B0E1.thumb.jpeg.b36eb33b984efc658a8936c1e75a23ed.jpeg

I got my driveway bare yesterday by about 2 pm.  Too late to go anywhere but for more ice melt.  Rained again last night and the wind was high which is a good thing as it dried up the rain before the deep freeze.  Yippee!  The weather is up and down like a yo yo.  Where the heck is spring?

7EE51370-F10D-4962-BBA9-1EE0910BC93F.jpeg.4ea71f5c28c4c9653d504f6d4d6fb208.jpeg

Oh right, I forgot we are in Canada 😉 

AEA73CD3-293F-466B-BD7F-82194E7891A1.jpeg.aaf59217170d7ddccaa966f2ef46ccaa.jpeg

@HAL Sailerthinking and caring about you.  No one can make what you are going through better but please know we care - and you are NOT alone ♥️ 

9AD37FEC-EF2A-4B89-9BA6-1DAB4371BDD0.thumb.jpeg.3141d297767b71b9d2a5f40edefc23de.jpeg

Boy, those telemarketers are getting sneaky.  Had one yesterday that said “private caller”.  I can’t ignore those calls as the portable phone at the hospital says “private caller”.  I figured out how to deal with those PITA’s though:

24091A47-4A03-4954-B912-07C0D1806E03.jpeg.94694e5c6c57b1ec7ff2d72398788c8a.jpeg

Praying that all is well with @ger_77and her husband after the surgery 🙏🏻 

Prayers for Ukraine & for everyone on the Care list & those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday everyone !!!!!

5F75B4AF-F211-4508-9A92-0A648A8455C7.thumb.jpeg.7d68a91aef46e69dc524f445f35794fe.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 if needed.

• Like 48
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report and lists. Still mild cold symptoms of a stuffy nose.  Since I just set up my home office yesterday, it’s a mess and desperately needs organizing.  A salute to working women everywhere.  Proofreading seems to be a lost art and desperately needs reviving.  I love the meal suggestion and we have it occasionally on Saturday evenings.  The quote is quite true, I like it.  Haven’t been to today’s port.  Prayers for everyone on our list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 26

Good morning from Rome Georgia.  Home of the band B-52s.  Two more days of our slow drive north to Michigan. Prayers for Ukraine and all on Roy's care list.   🇺🇦🙏

Couple of shots from the road. Gainesville and Rome. 

IMG_20220307_073039724_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220307_181717934.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, all, for yesterday's heartwarming messages. Each was like a hug. 

And, as mentioned, my DH's deteriorating health is a cautionary tale. A financial advisor I follow was recently asked about budgeting for retirement travel. He advised to expend more in early years as health may not allow it later. His mantra:

Ages 65-75: GO! GO! GO!

Ages 75-85: Go, but perhaps slow.

Ages 85-on: It's often NO go…

I'm glad we went, went, went while my DH was able as I have those adventures along with his love to treasure and sustain me through whatever lies ahead…

So, no matter your current age, may you each GO! GO! GO! as long as life allows.

With deep thanks,

-Melisa

• Like 42
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, thanks for the Daily! Today might be a good day to try to organize our home office / sewing room / cruise supply room.  Happy International Women's Day - I believe every woman is a working woman, whether outside the home or in.  I've proofread a couple of novels for an author and it was fun t0 pick out the errors.  Did you see what I did there?  LOL

Thank you for all your well wishes yesterday; I am grateful for each of you.  We did have a good day yesterday, although it was long.  DH had his angiogram and the doctor advised us that the grafts from the sextuple bypass of 23 years ago are still holding well and there are no new blockages.  Yay!  Now we have to see what the cardiologist wants to do about the pacemaker.  We want to get him fixed up so we can board a BHB in Barcelona in November!  @rafinmdI think you can take DH off the care list for now, as there are others who are in much more need of concern than he is.

Gosh, weiners and beans - I haven't had that in years.  In fact, I'm not sure I've ever made that in our entire marriage, although I remember having them as a child.  On Sunday night I peeled and cut up potatoes, carrots and celery, and put them in a container of water in the fridge.  Yesterday morning before we left for the hospital, I drained off the water, tossed them into the slow cooker along with a small roast, a package of onion soup mix and a half carton of beef broth and set it on low.  When we got home we had dinner ready, although DH didn't feel like eating much, he did have some, so we've got leftovers for tonight.  I'll add a Greek salad to the mix and that'll be on our table this evening.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for Ukraine and all those who are helping them.  We'll raise our glasses together to celebrate all making up the happy list.  Be safe, wear your masks when you need to, wash your hands, get your boosters, stay well and keep warm!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

Good morning from Rome Georgia.  Home of the band B-52s. 

I am not sure where you got this information from. From the band's official website

Formed on an October night in 1976 following drinks at an Athens, GA, Chinese restaurant, the band played their first gig at a friend's house on Valentine's Day 1977. (https://www.theb52s.com/bio)

Neither the bio on the band's official web site nor Wikipedia mention Rome, GA at all, just Athens.(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_B-52's)

The two cities are about 130 mile apart

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 6

Good morning to all the Dailyites and thank you to Rich and Roy for the lists.

I like the days.

I am the one who takes care of the home office and right now it needs a lot of organizing.  As a matter of fact, everything in this house needs organizing.  

I salute women who work. Many women work both at jobs and then come home and do all the household chores too.  Every woman should be appreciated for what she does.  Where would men be without us?

Proofreading day.  I have come to realize that spellcheck has become our enemy.  How many times do we not pay attention to what we are typing now!  I have also come to learn that many people (especially on these boards and across social media) do not know how to spell and have no idea regarding grammatical correctness.  It makes me cringe.  Of course we can say nothing, but it makes me wonder how they got through life, especially when they tell you about all their achievements. 

I like the quote.  I am always happy when DH is happy.  However, one can never depend on another for happiness. It must come from within.

Meal—Franks and beans are not my favorite.  However, if I’m hungry and there’s nothing else, I guess I’ll eat them.

The wine sounds nice, but I don’t think I’ll have it with franks and beans.

Pass on the drink.  

Never been to the destination.

Now for the nitty gritty.  DH is still hurting, but doing a bit better.  We will see what the urologist has to say tomorrow and where we go from there. Thank you all for your prayers and support as we go through this.  

I have read all the posts yesterday.  @HAL SailerMelissa, whether you and DH are on the prayer list or not, you are in my prayers.  This is a hard time and having lived through this I know how hard it is.  I wish I could give you a hug♥️.

As always,  I pray for all those on the cares list and cheers for those who are celebrating and cruising.

I am amazed at the strength shown by those who are going through hard times, especially illness.

Pray for the people of Ukraine and that the insanity of this war comes to an end soon.

I am still holding out hope that we will be able to go on our trip on April 4.

Have a great day and will be back later.

God Bless,

Teri

Edited by Cruzin Terri
  • Like 33

16 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Thanks, all, for yesterday's heartwarming messages. Each was like a hug. 

And, as mentioned, my DH's deteriorating health is a cautionary tale. A financial advisor I follow was recently asked about budgeting for retirement travel. He advised to expend more in early years as health may not allow it later. His mantra:

Ages 65-75: GO! GO! GO!

Ages 75-85: Go, but perhaps slow.

Ages 85-on: It's often NO go…

I'm glad we went, went, went while my DH was able as I have those adventures along with his love to treasure and sustain me through whatever lies ahead…

So, no matter your current age, may you each GO! GO! GO! as long as life allows.

With deep thanks,

-Melisa

Great advice Melisa.

Our prayers 🙏 and love for you both.

We took Pauline's late mam on 6 cruises sharing our large cabins in her 80s and her last cruise was 9 years ago on her 90th birthday on P&O Ventura before her dementia got really bad.

Graham.

IMG-20210215-WA0005.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 31

Again I can't do any edits, so I have to make a new post.  Grr.

@HAL Sailer I'm so sorry to hear about your DH's condition; I agree that you and he should continue to be in our prayers as you face the coming days.

@kb4683 Happy Anniversary for yesterday; I hope you had a wonderful day together.

@Mr. Boston I hope your Covid symptoms remain mild and you're feeling like your normal self again soon.

Happy International Women's Day - I searched the internet until I found one that included women in wheelchairs, as I know some of our Daily-ites use them.  This one also appears to give a shout-out to the Gardening Club:

Women.thumb.png.87fe92b315696095f9f18f0d3c4eace7.png

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Quick post of the drink of the day.  Will be back later to catch up.

Cruzan Coquito:

Ingredients
1 ½ cups Cruzan® Aged Dark Rum
1 can Evaporated Milk
1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 can Cream of Coconut
¼ tsp Cinnamon
⅛ tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Garnish: Cinnamon Stick,
Shredded Coconut

Instructions
Mix all ingredients in a blender at high speed. Pour into an airtight container. Refrigerate for a minimum of 2 hours. Shake well before serving.

Serve cold in a cocktail glass, garnish with a cinnamon stick and shredded coconut.

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.35.24 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 6

Love the collection of days! I was a working woman for a long time, but now I just do domestic goddess stuff 😉. My home office now consists of a computer on a small desk, so not much to organize there. I was the proofreading queen at the office when I was working. I agree that many social media posts tend to be poorly written (Facebook makes me twitchy…). Even highly educated people have bad grammar. I went to public schools, so it’s not like I had an unusual education, but I just don’t know what happened to grammar and sentence structure in schools. Maybe that went out with dinosaurs and analog clocks…

When my kids were little, we had very little money so beans and franks were on the menu a lot. Every now and then I get a hankering for it. 

The wine sounds pretty good, as does the drink. 

Lots of prayers needed for the group today… 🙏

• Like 28

Good morning friends!  It was 50F when we awoke, walked 1.25 miles to the gym, worked out, and walked home.  Time for a relaxing day at home.  Or we could try to organize the home office.  A salute to all working women, whether at home or their job, or both.  I will proofread this post twice before I submit.  I remember hot dogs and beans as a kid, but prefer not to dine on that dish now.  We haven't been to Durban yet.  Thanks in advance for any photos posted.  Thanks Rich @richwmnfor our Daily report.  I see a stop on St. Croix island by Nieuw Amsterdam which I don't think I've seen before as a destination.  Sounds good to me!  Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  There's a lot of good things on the Celebration list thank goodness.  But the Care list is still long.  @ger_77good to hear the tests went well yesterday and I hope the pacemaker decision will be made soon so you two can enjoy your cruise later this year.  @HAL Sailerwarm thoughts for you and DH.  @Cruzin TerriI hope your DH's urologist appointment comes up with some answers for him.  It's sad he's still in pain with no clues as to cause yet.  Prayers said for all of you here who are in need.

@DeeniEncinitashave a good stay in Ft. Lauderdale between cruises.  As you can tell from the Daily, it's time to live life to the fullest.

Prayers every day day sent to the people of Ukraine and the end of this madness.🙏

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4