Any news if RC extending/dropping pre-cruise testing in the near future?

Just now, mrsfecura said:

For those of you using CVS or Walgreens - are you checking the box for travel or does it even matter as long as you get the right test (PCR or Rapid Antigen)?

I checked for travel and we are getting the RDT ID NOW at Walgreens Friday morning at 9:30 AM.  

3 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

We had CVS cancel us the night before the tests, 2 days before the cruise.  

I had read of a couple reports like that here on CC and that was my motivation for getting the tests from Optum.  They are still in their box in a cupboard.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrsfecura said:

For those of you using CVS or Walgreens - are you checking the box for travel or does it even matter as long as you get the right test (PCR or Rapid Antigen)?

CVS eliminated the question about travel.

I just checked box #1

1819973869_ScreenShot2022-03-05at3_31_02PM.thumb.png.ea879c826d5059c1dbda8448f816d6d4.png

Edited by Tree_skier

57 minutes ago, molly361 said:

That's what makes me nervous.  That the day will come when demand is down and they stop testing and the cruise lines will still be requiring a test.  I know people will say buy the at home kit.  

This is what I'm afraid of too!

• Like 2

I made appointments with CVS for DH and me for next week, for the rapid test.  I answered "no" to all the questions about exposure, work situations, etc.  There was no box for travel, as noted above.  They made the reservation without any questions.

• Like 1

FYI, the OP asked about Baltimore port testing and according to RCI's site a few days ago, Baltimore does not have testing yet and they may never with demand down so much.

We're cruising out of Baltimore on 2 April.  I scheduled our tests with a local lab for 31 March and plan to book CVS or Walgreen's as a backup for 1 Apr.  Positivity rates are 5% and below in most places now.  Our county is at 3.8% and I don't know anyone who has had it in the last few weeks.   I'm betting there are very few positives found in pre-cruise testing now.  

Edited by BND

4 hours ago, joyandjerry said:

After several cancelled cruises, we are hopefully sailing on Enchantment 25 March. I noticed Carnival extended pre-cruise testing to a three day window for the boosted. Any news about RC doing the same?

I have not  ordered my emed online tests yet, and will do so soon. I rarely use my smart phone for anything, and my internet is not really fast, although I have video conferenced on my desktop. I am quite nervous about doing the at home test. I do not have a tripod for the phone, so I am concerned the rep will not be able to see me, and I don't really know how to scan.

Our local CVS will likely not have results back in time. As a last resort, does Baltimore have testing at the port? I haven't been able to see anything about it, and one would need an appointment.  I certainly don't want to drive several hours to the port and be turned away.

At CVS you may obtain the Rapid-Results test. RCI accepts that, and you'll get the results within hours. yes, RCI accepts it. The PCR test is a 1-2 day test result and too risky especially if you don't live near the cruise port.

8 minutes ago, BND said:

FYI, the OP asked about Baltimore port testing and according to RCI's site a few days ago, Baltimore does not have testing yet and they may never with demand down so much.

We're cruising out of Baltimore on 2 April.  I scheduled our tests with a local lab for 31 March and plan to book CVS or Walgreen's as a backup for 1 Apr.  Positivity rates are 5% and below in most places now.  Our county is at 3.8% and I don't know anyone who has had it in the last few weeks.   I'm betting there are very few positives found in pre-cruise testing now.  

Do you know if we can do Rapid-results test/Antigen, if that is acceptable?  

18 minutes ago, rtb said:

Do you know if we can do Rapid-results test/Antigen, if that is acceptable?  

Yes you can do rapid, it's on Royal's site.  We did a rapid antigen for our Nov cruise and it's what Royal uses onboard for b2b and crew.  Also, the emed and optum tests are rapid antigen.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

19 minutes ago, BND said:

Yes you can do rapid, it's on Royal's site.  We did a rapid antigen for our Nov cruise and it's what Royal uses onboard for b2b and crew.  Also, the emed and optum tests are rapid antigen.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go

Thank you…be glad when this part is over with!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RedIguana said:

If you have video and voice on your desktop, use that for the home proctored test. No reason to use a phone. I use my laptop, not my phone for mine. You don't even need the Navica app, just go to there website and make an account, that is all you need. Testing via laptop/desktop is through the emed site, not the navica app. Results are e-mailed to you in a printable PDF, the printed copy is fine for boarding (some would say preferred).

Thanks for the info. Being overly prepared, I was able to deduce the same, and created an account for each one of us with Navica. I did a "dry run" (w/o a test) and signing in just takes one to the emed site. I always print out relevant paperwork, even when not strictly necessary.

🥰 I really appreciate the time you all took to respond. Cruisers are such a great, friendly, helpful bunch! That is one of the things I love about it.

Our local CVS only has the test where there is 1-3 day turn around time. (We are not in a major town.) Pharmacy tech said daily tests are all picked up at 6:00 PM to go to nearest large city, Pittsburgh. So test results take a few days, even though demand has dropped. It just is easier to get an appointment. The local urgent cares make you wait (they are always busy), and one must be examined first, etc. A local lab (very easy to get appointment) is more costly, but that is my "Plan B".

I realize it is for everyone's safety, but transmission is very low now, and most cruisers will be vaccinated. Even if the test is negative, one could be exposed in between the test and the cruise.

Blessed cruise to all!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, joyandjerry said:

After several cancelled cruises, we are hopefully sailing on Enchantment 25 March. I noticed Carnival extended pre-cruise testing to a three day window for the boosted. Any news about RC doing the same?

I have not  ordered my emed online tests yet, and will do so soon. I rarely use my smart phone for anything, and my internet is not really fast, although I have video conferenced on my desktop. I am quite nervous about doing the at home test. I do not have a tripod for the phone, so I am concerned the rep will not be able to see me, and I don't really know how to scan.

Our local CVS will likely not have results back in time. As a last resort, does Baltimore have testing at the port? I haven't been able to see anything about it, and one would need an appointment.  I certainly don't want to drive several hours to the port and be turned away.

The proctored test online is easy. No tripod needed. You just pick up your phone and point camera to what they want to see. I sat mine on my coffee cup while waiting for results. Do it early morning when they aren't busy and have it overwith.

1 minute ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Not me! I don't want to go back to those days of so many cruisers being infected by a few fellow passengers. And having their cruises ruined. Better safe than sorry!

if most people are vaccinated all should be well.   and those so called pretesting still does not eliminate 100% the virus getting on,  At least the cruise lines know how to handle if a couple of cases.

perhaps those not boosted should be made to take a pretest and let us boosted alone.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

if most people are vaccinated all should be well.   and those so called pretesting still does not eliminate 100% the virus getting on,  At least the cruise lines know how to handle if a couple of cases.

perhaps those not boosted should be made to take a pretest and let us boosted alone.

Yes. Some regulations plz. Think back to all the peeps who sign the health form while knowing they have the regular flu, a bad cold, etc. Some even come on here to ask if its okay! Look back over the posts... "I had covid last week, can I test negative and be able to cruise." 

Take off the testing and we will be right back where we were a year ago as far as cruises go.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, #Luv2travel said:

I ordered my Tests, Binaxnow from the Walgreens App/website. And had them shipped to me. 

Yes but those aren't proctored so won't work for boarding.  Only at home test must be proctored. 

7 hours ago, molly361 said:

That's what makes me nervous.  That the day will come when demand is down and they stop testing and the cruise lines will still be requiring a test.  I know people will say buy the at home kit.  

My thoughts exactly and is this is why we booked our free tests at CVS next week instead of using our emed kits.  They are good thru November so figure I will save them just incase.