Solo cruising and the dining room

SwimCarrie

Hi all,

I'm curious...if I choose to dine alone on a solo cruise, is it rude for me to look at my phone during dinner? So much of our cruise is now on our phone, anyway, I wonder if anyone would even notice or care? I think there was a time when I would have been given the stink eye, but have times changed enough for me to have my own vacation my way and it's not offensive? 

Thanks for your thoughts!

I think if you are dining by yourself then it’s perfectly acceptable to use your phone during dinner. I know if I was at a solo table I’d be looking at my phone. But if you are sharing a table with others I think it would be rude to be on your phone rather than engaging in conversation with your table mates.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KLM3164 said:

I think if you are dining by yourself then it’s perfectly acceptable to use your phone during dinner. I know if I was at a solo table I’d be looking at my phone. But if you are sharing a table with others I think it would be rude to be on your phone rather than engaging in conversation with your table mates.

For sure sitting alone. Yes, that would be very rude otherwise.

• Like 2

During my last two cruises I often saw a table of two/four next to me where everyone was looking at down at the phone most of the time. Sharing a table with someone outside your party also becomes less common nowadays. 

Time has changed. 

• Thanks 1

I was on a solo cruise in January and used my phone at the table while waiting on my food & between courses.  I noticed  other solo cruisers using them as well. As long as you don’t use it while the servers are there, you should be fine. It’s no different than reading through the paper copy of the daily schedule, which I have seen many times over the years.

Edited by JT1962
  • Thanks 1

If you are solo then by all means you can also take a book with you.

I do this all the time.  And as for being on cell phone while sharing a table, you can look at it for a minute of so in your lap. No more rude than one person dominating the conversation.  In fact I would go on my phone to show them they are not being inclusivie.  ha ha

• Haha 1

Sometimes (not often) it takes so long between courses having a phone is definitely the best way to past time.

There's no obligation to have conversations with others if an email or text is more important. 

• Haha 1

Do what works for you! My kindle is available on my phone so I often read a book on my phone. My cruise…my way…that’s the gift of travelling solo!

Of course, if there is an opportunity to chat with others at a table, then no - the phone is not out.

I always cruise solo, and carry a phone or book or Kindle at dinner, and nobody cares, unless you're doing something that annoys others, like doing a facetime call or playing a video or beeping game. Also, if you don't like being crammed into two-seat tables with someone next to you, ask for a socially distanced table, and they'll seat you away from others, although I make sure not to go at peak dining times if I'm doing this, and it might be more challenging if they get up to fuller occupancy.  A phone can actually help during meals, because if there's an unfamiliar menu item I can try searching for a description or recipe or photo, which helped me try pot de creme, which is a fancy name for a heavenly thick caramel pudding.