How to show proof of negative COVID test with at home kit?

4 minutes ago, JustSWIM208 said:

I have a bunch of at home COVID antigen tests and plan on using them before our cruise. How would I show proof of a negative test? Or do I have to make an appointment at the local pharmacy? TIA

You have to have the proctored test. You can't just use a regular home test.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/the-healthy-sail-center/pre-cruise-testing

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JustSWIM208 said:

I have a bunch of at home COVID antigen tests and plan on using them before our cruise. How would I show proof of a negative test? Or do I have to make an appointment at the local pharmacy? TIA

if these are the freebies from the government they are not accepted.  

The only home tests accepted are those you buy from Optum or Emed because they include a session with a live proctor online who emails your results.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, AnyWayIsGood said:

That's what we're doing. Only two options - test locally or buy a proctored kit. 

I have done it twice with CVS and been very happy with how they handled it.  But you have to make your reservation far in advance.  This last time I waited until the week before and couldn't get one on the day needed.  We fly in a day ahead so didn't have much wiggle room.   There are several pop up Covid testing places nearby and we used one of them and everything worked out fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Home tests are generally the same tests as the ones done at pharamcies and clinics (assuming you are talking antigen tests; PCR tests are a whole different ball game) and are a good way to add an extra level of information and safety before visiting elderly relatives (or the new baby in the family, etc), etc.  

I think they are a valuable part of living with Covid.

I recall a Canadian cruiser posting on here a couple months ago, having used home tests in their cabin on the last day of the cruise so that if it were postiive they could then go to the ship doctor to be tested and therefore become diagnosed onboard and have RCI cover quaratine costs, rather than testing only at the airport before flying home on disembarkation day.  Those home test did catch the positive, and she was able to then get diagnosed onboard and RCI covered hotels, etc.  Smart woman.

They're not allowed for cruise ship boarding, flying to the USA from other nations, etc because there is no way to verify if the person themself really took the test and if so when (nor can you verify that they took a good swap instead of just touching the very outside edge of a nostril, etc)

58 minutes ago, novicetraveller said:

I am asking out of ignorance more than anything else. As I am based outside the US / Canada bubble.... assuming Covid restrictions are in place until Christmas (and I hope they are not!), how would I go about doing a RCCL approved PCR test?

Any place in the UK that administers a covid test whether it is at a chemist,  pop up testing center like the ones at various airports and Southampton cruise port will work as long as it is administered by a health care worker.   If you are going on Royal Caribbean they have a link to order the proctored home tests and I assume other cruise line's have similar. 

We are traveling to Southampton on Antheum of the Sea and will have to treat before leaving the US on 2 May 2022. Whether we will have to treat again to reboarding after we spend a couple of days in Southampton before reboarding for Norway remains to be seen as UK/Europe boarding rules are TBD. Since neither the UK nor Norway require a test I'm hoping that will not be necessary though in our case we will be back on a Royal ship within 3 days so under their current rules Royal will provide a free test. Since we are returning to the US on Cunard the last update was 14 Feb 2022 and says you will have to treat at the terminal. If the US is still requiring a pretty arrival covid test shah we return in June they offer one on board for $35-50 USD depending on which test you take.

If you are leaving from the US most major airports have pop up testing centers.  Any pop up testing center,  pharmacy or health clinic can do one.   Just make sure they guarantee results in the time frame needed. Check costs since testing is free for US citizens and legal residents at many places testing for travel is not covered and can vary in price considerably. You may also be able to buy a proctored home tests in a local pharmacy OR have one shipped to a hotel you are booked to stay in. 

Transportation covid restrictions are currently serving to expire 18 March 2022 but as much as I'd like to say they will be allowed to expire I'm not optimistic since Biden notified the Senate Majority leader that his intent to extend  the state of emergency for covid pandemic another year last month. 

Edited by cdwise
Fix typos

1 hour ago, novicetraveller said:

I am asking out of ignorance more than anything else. As I am based outside the US / Canada bubble.... assuming Covid restrictions are in place until Christmas (and I hope they are not!), how would I go about doing a RCCL approved PCR test?

There is no Canada / US bubble. Canadian travelers are treated no differently that UK travelers as far as I know.

19 hours ago, shofer said:

But you have to make your reservation far in advance.

We did it about 2 weeks ago. I kept checking to see how far out their appointment calendar went. Can't imagine that it'll be canceled with things having slacked off. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cdwise said:

Any place in the UK that administers a covid test whether it is at a chemist,  pop up testing center like the ones at various airports and Southampton cruise port will work as long as it is administered by a health care worker.   If you are going on Royal Caribbean they have a link to order the proctored home tests and I assume other cruise line's have similar. 

We are traveling to Southampton on Antheum of the Sea and will have to treat before leaving the US on 2 May 2022. Whether we will have to treat again to reboarding after we spend a couple of days in Southampton before reboarding for Norway remains to be seen as UK/Europe boarding rules are TBD. Since neither the UK nor Norway require a test I'm hoping that will not be necessary though in our case we will be back on a Royal ship within 3 days so under their current rules Royal will provide a free test. Since we are returning to the US on Cunard the last update was 14 Feb 2022 and says you will have to treat at the terminal. If the US is still requiring a pretty arrival covid test shah we return in June they offer one on board for $35-50 USD depending on which test you take.

If you are leaving from the US most major airports have pop up testing centers.  Any pop up testing center,  pharmacy or health clinic can do one.   Just make sure they guarantee results in the time frame needed. Check costs since testing is free for US citizens and legal residents at many places testing for travel is not covered and can vary in price considerably. You may also be able to buy a proctored home tests in a local pharmacy OR have one shipped to a hotel you are booked to stay in. 

Transportation covid restrictions are currently serving to expire 18 March 2022 but as much as I'd like to say they will be allowed to expire I'm not optimistic since Biden notified the Senate Majority leader that his intent to extend  the state of emergency for covid pandemic another year last month. 

Thanks for the detailed response. It's my first trip overseas in 6  years, so I had some gaps in my knowledge, so this helps a lot.

6 hours ago, novicetraveller said:

Thanks for the detailed response. It's my first trip overseas in 6  years, so I had some gaps in my knowledge, so this helps a lot.

You are welcome. We are going to the UK,  France and Norway for the first time since covid so are negotiating the same things. At least it looks like returning on Cunard from Southampton  seems to mean any necessary preboard resting will be at the terminal at Cunard's expense. Then on board for $30 before US entry if that is still required. I'm hoping  the US will join the UK,  Norway and others in stopping pre entry testing requirements at least for vaccinated travelers.