The Daily for Friday 03/11/2022

richwmn

Today is Johnny Appleseed Day, Worship of Tools Day, and Dream Day

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.--Robert A. Heinlein

Meal Suggestion for today - Sole meunière
Drink of the Day - Blue Margarita
Wine of the Day - Venge 2018 Kenefick Ranch Vineyard Merlot (Calisto
Destination of the Day - Adbijan, Cote d’Ivoire

Ships With Passengers

At Sea

Zuiderdam   Destination Raiatea Island, PF

At Sea Caribbean

Eurodam   Destination Port Everglades eta 3/12

At Sea Pacific

Koningsdam   Destination San Diego CA US eta 3/13

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas

Nieuw Amsterdam  

Half Moon Cay, BS

Rotterdam  

Kralendijk Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles

Nieuw Statendam   08:00 - 23:00

Ships Without Passengers

Cadiz SP

Volendam   Shipyard
Zaandam   Shipyard

Limassol, CY

Oosterdam   Anchorage

Long Beach CA US

Westerdam   Anchorage

Port Everglades, Fort Lauderdale FL US

Noordam   Anchorage

0311World.thumb.png.f2851b18b141dc70257f96c23039b8e5.png
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 14

Uturoa
Uturoa is a commune located in Raiatea, the largest island of the Îles Sous le Vent in French Polynesia. It is situated in between the administrative subdivision of Leeward Islands and the main port of the island of Raiatea. According to the 2017 census, Uturoa has a population of 3,778 individuals. The commune spans approximately 120 miles northwest of Papeete, the capital of French Polynesia.Wikipedia
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.  Happy Friday!

Interesting collection of days.  Love apples so a big thank you to Johnny Appleseed.  I'm not sure I worship tools, but I do appreciate them.  Dream day sounds like a good idea.

Amusing quote.

The meal sounds delicious, looking forward to seeing a recipe.

I'm sure the drink and wine are tasty too.

We've got more snow falling, good thing I got groceries yesterday.  Bertie and I are heading out in a few minutes for our morning walk, he loves bounding through the snow.🙂

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 32
  • Haha 1

Thank you for the TGIF Daily, Rich.  I'll salute Johnny Appleseed, appreciate but do not worship tools, and my chief dream is probably to be young again.  I have not been to the Ivory Coast.  Interesting quote by Heinlein.  I'll pass on the Sole,  My alternative is Grandma's Chicken Noodle Soup, Veal Parmigiana, and Ricotta Raspberry Tart as served on MS Prinsendam March 11, 2019:

dishes11.jpg

Today’s care list:

Kakalina with esophageal blockage and numbered days
Ukraine
Hartgrove older sister with aggressive cancer
Strength for Jacqui as Jose continues to decline, the doctors and a happy remaining life for Marley
Welfare of furloughed crews
JAM37 disappointing visit with “friends”
Ancient Wanderer DD and DGD with Covid
Tana with pneumonia and rough nights
Mr Boston with mild covid
Dfish excessive wait for spine followup
From the rotation:
Cruising along niece awaiting a kidney
HAL Sailor DH and Kazu DH Jose no longer able to cruise
Cruzn single post-covid fatigue
MissG’s father hanging in for one more cruise

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Noordam in service April rather than May
6 BHB with passengers
1 day for Navybikermom (Nieuw Amsterdam to 3/19)
1 day for DeeniEncinitas (Ruby Princess to 3/27)
1 days for GTVCCRUISER (Koningsdam to 3/20)
5 days for Overhead Fred, sassy-one, and sailingdutchy (Niew Statendam 3/16 to 4/ 6)
Aliaschief and Dwaliaschier (Azamara Quest to 3/17), kb4683 (Nieuw Statendam t 3/16), Quartzite Cruiser (Koningsdam to 4/3) and NorseH20 and dchip (Zuiderdam to 4/3) at sea
 DeeniEncinitas ashore briefly with great balcony
cunnorl taking over golf tournament for injured friend
Koningsdan Staff Captain Sabine - enjoying a well earned vacation. - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 12

IMG_20220311_101929.thumb.jpg.97eeca74b350e4246778c05911b230a0.jpgGood afternoon.

We had a nice walk this morning and just had a nice beef stir fry for lunch.

Thank you for today's daily Rich.

Thank you Roy for keeping the various lists updated.

You both make the daily a must read.

Interesting days today.

Pauline liked today's quote ☹️.

Prayers for Ukraine and everyone on the care list.

Wishing everyone a nice day.

Graham.

IMG_20220311_102006.jpg

Screenshot_20220311_130102.jpg

Screenshot_20220311_130136.jpg

IMG_20220311_124544.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 37
  • Thanks 5

Good morning everyone and thanks for the daily report.  I celebrate Johnny Appleseed today.  While I appreciate the usefulness of tools I certainly don’t worship them.  If I have today’s meal suggestion (which is delicious) I will have very lucid dreams.  I always do when I have fish for dinner.  Funny quote today.  The wine sounds nice.  I haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers for everyone on our list.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events today!

• Like 26

A quick note, I am taking DH to an emergency dental appointment.  He is having problems from the cancer and the chemo destruction in his mouth, and is in a lot of pain.  I will check in later today, hugs to all. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 20

Good morning from St Maarten. We are just docking and it looks like it will be nice but still windy day. We dined again in  the specialty restaurant again last night and enjoyed another spectacular performance from our CD Amanda Poulson. 

Today we are going to walk around visit the Dutch Cheese shop.

Tonight we are going to eat in Windows Cafe (Lido) which is full table service. Like this morning the wait staff brings us our expresso and cappuccino’s.

Thanks Rich and friends.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 8

Good morning, everyone.

We have a storm that is coming in tonight.   Forecasts range from 2 inches of snow up to 6.  I'm hoping it is more towards the 2 inch prediction.  I'm having lunch today with some fellow retirees and will  hit the pool this afternoon.  I'll stop at the store on the way home from the pool just in case we get the 6 inches of snow.  

@rafinmd You can take me off the care list.  There was a cancellation and my follow up on the spine MRI has been moved up from April 19th to March 23rd.   

Today's meal sounds wonderful to me.   I am a fish lover hence my CC handle dfish.  Meunière is both a French sauce and a method of preparation, primarily for fish. The word itself means "miller's wife" in French. Thus to cook something à la meunière was to cook it by first dredging it in flour. A meunière sauce is a simple preparation—brown butter, chopped parsley, and lemon—and the name refers to its simple rustic nature.  While there is general agreement on the addition of parsley and lemon, some include ingredients such as Worcestershire sauce, red wine vinegar, or beef stock. Another common variation is to use pecans rather than almonds in an amandine.  The sauce and style of cooking is a large part of New Orleans cookery.

The first recipe is from Ina Garten.   https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/easy-sole-meuniere-recipe-1945717

129319365_solemeuniere1.jpeg.d87c23944da692a69ca53e8514758f02.jpeg

This next one is very similar:  https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/classic-sole-meuni-re

770054827_solemeuniere2.jpg.1d447d776d3e52464f91aafecc83741a.jpg

Martha Stewart adds a slightly different twist to the recipe:  capers.   https://www.marthastewart.com/1130185/sole-meuniere

1762140119_solemeuniere3.jpg.ecdfa254136b679fa35942f4d39f1ba4.jpg

Last, but not least, this is one with a N'Awlins twist to it.  I have made this using a recipe from Paul Prudhomme and it is really, really good.  And really, really rich.

https://www.epicurus.com/food/recipes/fish-with-pecan-butter-and-meuniere-sauces/39931/

Fish-with-Pecan-Butter-Sauce.jpg.92e3ad4eb435f8ae9cd6f7d4c25819bf.jpg

Prayers for all who need them, especially Ukraine.  Cheers to those who are celebrating.   Wishing everyone a very happy day.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 11

6 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

A quick note, I am taking DH to an emergency dental appointment.  He is having problems from the cancer and the chemo destruction in his mouth, and is in a lot of pain.  I will check in later today, hugs to all. 

Prayers that your DH can get relief for his pain.

• Like 23

13 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Sending prayers 🙏.

I hope the dentist can help.

Graham.

• Like 19

Thanks for the Daily Report.  I read them every day but don't comment very often.

I still can't help but wonder why HAL is being so secretive about the 3-day charter on the Rotterdam.  Can't find an itinerary anywhere.  Other than HMC where can you go on a 3-day cruise?  Watched it leave yesterday with passengers, so HAL cancelled a 7-day cruise and inconvenienced people for a 3- day charter.  I just thought HAL was better than that.

• Like 13

Morning all! I am running late, so a quick visit to share some info & smiles….

84CF3B88-6BA4-46A4-BC7F-0CC58BA6BAC6.jpeg.3fd3500f5203244b064ad7baa4d5a926.jpeg

4E468270-A06A-44E2-B95B-ABC184A1F0E3.jpeg.fe5bee63d9c3406de91e6ce4935ab69c.jpeg

D3B88B11-5F9E-4E3D-9957-06EB038D78F3.jpeg.9f983ded7b048511dfc3b3f5582fbcf0.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Venge 2018 Kenefick Ranch Vineyard Merlo
This Napa Merlot has a superb rating from Wine Enthusiasts, and a price to match. A bit elusive, and though it sounds lovely - with a price starting at $81.99, I will have to take the winemaker’s word for it. 

Winemaker Notes

Distinct, gorgeous, and savory are all words that pop into mind with this year’s Merlot. A concentrated, dark, red hue clings to the glass drawing one’s curiosity as to the deliciousness that awaits. The aromatics are driven with highly perfumed, fresh, ripe blueberry, allspice, black currants, lavender, and a hint of barrel vanillin. The palate is expansive and full-bodied with no pocket of the mouth unfilled or escaping this wine’s delicious composition. The flavors expand over the palette presenting a lengthy and gratifying sensation. Anticipated maturity is 2022 to 2030.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 7

Good morning everyone. I forgot to post yesterday because we had so many small medical emergencies. My big toe was swollen and had a crack in the skin where the toe meets the foot. The podiatrist said it was from moisture and put some medicine on which I have to use everyday and he bandaged it up. It hurts to walk and has thrown off my gait. I will have to cancel my PT for today. Sam scratched the roof of his mouth which necessitated a script from the dentist. My QuickBooks program would not be get on because it wouldn’t accept the new password so another 20:minute session. The person helping me had a very heavy accent and it was difficult understanding. We are working on getting a new aide and hope to hear soon.

Great warm day today so hoping to sit outside.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 22
  • Thanks 11

38 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

He is having problems from the cancer and the chemo destruction in his mouth, and is in a lot of pain.

I am so sorry about your DH problems.  The radiation from my DH's head and neck cancer caused a similar issue.  I tried all different types of soft bland food but he just wouldn't eat.    Ultimately, he had to get a feeding tube in order to keep his weight up.  

After he finished treatment, the salivary glands in his mouth were destroyed.  This has caused ongoing dental issues.  The good news is, he's been CANCER FREE for 5 years! Hoping your DH has the same outcome when he finishes his treatment.

Being the primary caregiver is a difficult task.  Please take care of yourself too and know that you are in my thoughts.

• Like 30

Good morning to all. I admire tools but do not worship them. My grandfather and three uncles were all carpenters/contractors but I apparently did not inherit any ability in that area. Dreams have been odd during this two year time frame. I will  salute Mr Appleseed and appreciate his efforts.

I love today’s recipe but the rest of the family would not be excited. Maybe I will make it just for me! Tana picked the Ina Garten recipe Debbie @dfish,thanks. Her appetite is poor but she enjoys being the one who decides the evening meal. We are trying a shrimp scampi sheet pan recipe tonight.

@marshhawk, I hope DH gets some relief from the dentist.Hugs back at you.

Terry

• Like 31

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

Prayers that they can relieve the pain.  🙏

Terri

• Like 22

46 minutes ago, rothbury said:

Thanks for the Daily Report.  I read them every day but don't comment very often.

I still can't help but wonder why HAL is being so secretive about the 3-day charter on the Rotterdam.  Can't find an itinerary anywhere.  Other than HMC where can you go on a 3-day cruise?  Watched it leave yesterday with passengers, so HAL cancelled a 7-day cruise and inconvenienced people for a 3- day charter.  I just thought HAL was better than that.

They are wining and dining Travel Agents showing off the new Flagship.

Terri

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

Good morning everyone.

Thank you Rich for the Daily.  

Johnny Appleseed.  I thought he was a legend.  Not sure he was a real person, but thanks to him for his contributions.  I like apples.

Tools are a necessary part of our lives and while I don’t worship them, I acknowledge their usefulness,. 

Dream Day.  We can all dream, can’t we!

I love the quote.

I have not been to the port.

I have had sol meunière and I like it, but tonight our meal is linguine with clam sauce,

As for the wine, it sounds great, but I think the price is a bit steep.

Things so far are coming along here and I am grateful to all of you for your prayers.  DH seems to be doing better and I hope he continues on that path. We are making some dietary adjustments and hope it helps.

Another busy day making sure that all is under control before we leave on our great adventure on April 4.  So many things to do.

Prayers for all on the cares list.  And Cheers to those who are celebrating and cruising.  

Have a great Friday and stay safe.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 28

Good Morning from a sunny and warm day at the beach

Rain in forecast for later this afternoon. Hope it holds off. I will be pushing to get everyone off on time today so we can all finish before the rain.  Nothing you can do about weather so just work with it. The dinner and " award" presentation is inside so no problems there.  It will be a good day.

@JAM37 Sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. Come back to Cocoa Beach, we will have a few laughs!

This is quick today, have to leave early for final details. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1