CELEBRITY CAPTAINS CLUB WEBINARS, DO THEY WORK FOR YOU?

Spif Barwunkel

29 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Why do some people have a problem because a speaker has a foreign accent? Ridiculous.

My husband is hard of hearing and he finds it especially difficult to understand when someone is speaking with a foreign accent. 

• Like 1

As I see it and as is certainly the case, the presentation of webinars, infomercials, commercials or whatever you want to call them will have varying degrees of success and failure within the intended audience, no matter the subject or product. Like others who are clients of Celebrity, what X does and how they do it will or will not have a positive effect on me, no surprise here.

This thread is meant to elicit comments pertinent to Celebrity Webinars and how they do or do not work for you. I presented my thoughts and the reasons for them, quite clearly I might add and with no malice intended.

In response to those folks who have no problem with accents or profess to being fluent in clearly understanding all, good on ya. As I mentioned in the topic post, my inability to be impressed by X webinars can be attributed in part to my shortcomings, no doubt. To be amused by the fact that people “trash” individuals with accents, I see none of that on this thread so perhaps the joke is on you.

I, in certain cases, convey my thoughts in ALL CAPS. Apparently that can be offensive to some as they attribute it to “SHOUTING”.  As part of the total communication process this is a very valid point and was presented as such on this thread. To that I would say, like I mentioned in the opening paragraph, what one says or does and how they say or do it will have varying degrees of success or failure. Obviously, I will not have the pleasure of your input on future threads but I appreciate you stopping by to contribute to this one.    

7 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

There is a BIG difference between being competent and speaking like you never lived there. I'd rather hear the ums and than have them sound robotic because they're reading off a teleprompter.

I would have hoped that Celebrity could have found a speaker who was more fluent with the audience that is being addressed.  An accent is acceptable but the degree of disfluency was of concern.  We are talking about a company that has incredible resources and to offer such an amateurish production was disappointing.  

I believe the people Celebrity chooses to speak in these webinars come from the agencies Celebrity uses for excursions. So one other benefit of the webinars might be that you get to preview who/what/how you might hear if you go to these locations and go on a Celebrity excursion. That might at least set your expectations - if you like or don't like the accent, hmmms, at least you were warned?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I would simply click delete when you get the email if it's that overwhelmingly disappointing to your expectations. I'm pretty sure award winning productions aren't the goal here.

How are you selected to hear these webinars ?

Edited by cruise47
Misspelled word

I'd give it a 3 or 4 ... that's all. Were it not for the few bonus points, I certainly wouldn't have stayed tuned. 

I had no issues with the Spanish presenter, who at least, tried to inject some personality and enthusiasm for the content. But I'd hoped for something more, perhaps a look at destinations further afield from the familiar? Even adding more visuals might have delayed my inner snooze button!

My greater disappointment though, was the nearly unwatchable Celebrity moderator. Every sentence came with an "UM" or "UH." And I stopped counting the times she described a site as "amazing" and/or that she was "blown away."  Perhaps she's excellent at her day job with Celebrity, but she's clearly not  camera ready. 

With a more engaging moderator, I'd up the rating a couple of points.

We've not been impressed by them, but will continue to watch them for the points, which might help us reach Elite Plus by the end of the year.  No issues re accents - they just don't make the places seem that appealing.  We've been to Istanbul and it is an amazing place. Don't think that came across in the Turkey webinar. Thank heavens we've already booked our cruise to Spain and Canaries, because the Spain one didn't excite us at all.

If these webinars are supposed to excite us about ports of call then, for us, they fail miserably.

41 minutes ago, AC Stew said:

Perhaps she's excellent at her day job with Celebrity, but she's clearly not  camera ready. 

I believe you are referring to Andrea Shey the Associate Vice President of Loyalty.   I also thought she spent way too much time on her personal desire to live/travel there.  It was over 15 minutes.

On some of the prior ones I didn''t have to see LPP's family vacation photos at the destinations where she was able to write off her vacation.

On 3/12/2022 at 1:50 PM, upwarduk said:

But, a poor ‘ad ‘in my opinion, especially the Spain one.
The presenter had a most unfortunate hmmmmm, while she was thinking.😱

While the content of the webinars are interesting, the one on Spain...ummmm...ummmm, I almost had to turn it off shortly after it started!! Bless her heart she was an awful presenter!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I felt the production value was shockingly low. The slides and graphics were straight out of a PowerPoint from the 90s....

Yes I have to agree with you. I was expecting an hour presentation and had already listened to half but so glad it only lasted 40 minutes.  I think everybody should just get an auto upgrade to the next level. 😆 🤣 😂 

I'm listening to this webinar right now and I think her English is actually amazing. As someone who is learning Spanish now, having to shift into a second language is incredibly difficult. I don't think her addition of the 'ummmm' is any worse than any other public speaker I've heard.

Given the amount of points Celebrity is giving for the webinars, they work for me.

50 powerup points = 5 loyalty points. For less than an hour of my time, I'm getting something that would "cost" me 2 1/2 nights in an inside or oceanview cabin, 1 2/3 nights in a balcony cabin, or 1 night in a Concierge or Aqua cabin. Granted, I don't get food, Cafe Al Bacio, pool time, enrichment speakers, or anything else that is included on a sailing, but I'm also only spending my time and not my hard earned money.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

I felt the production value was shockingly low. The slides and graphics were straight out of a PowerPoint from the 90s....

Middle school students can produce a much better video.   The  guest speaker was not ready for prime time and the graphics were really sad.   Hopefully, the next presentation will be an improvement.  

8 hours ago, keesar said:

Middle school students can produce a much better video.   The  guest speaker was not ready for prime time and the graphics were really sad.   Hopefully, the next presentation will be an improvement.  

I hope someone from Celebrity corporate reads these comments. Just so Sad. I actually felt sorry for her.