So is 76 knots high wind or crazy wind

luckyinpa

I hear air through my balcony door sometimes. It's just crazy. But only 5 meter waves. Whew. Had listing today never had before . Ship rolled n stayed rolled. I was walking uphill in my cabin. Tried to take pic of liquid in a glass . Didn't show that well.

20220312_230000.jpg

20220312_111224.jpg

I hope the photo was upside down…and not the ship. 

i am guessing you are on the Getaway?  

70 knots is pretty strong winds.  5 m waves are about 20’. Pretty good seas you went through. Did they place barf bags around?

Edited by trex-de
  • Haha 5

I am surprised even with these very high winds, the getaway is still arriving back to NYC on time with no delays. Usually these heavy winds sometimes require the ship to slow the speed and the currents can also effect the ship speed

75 knots is hurricane force winds.  This force will cause "wind induced heel" or sustained listing due to the force of the wind on the side of the ship.  The ship should have been in the Gulf Stream, so you should have had a boost in speed from that, but were the winds from forward?  That would be logical given the clockwise winds around the low pressure.  Suspect this is a product of the "bomb cyclone" (what we used to call a "Nor'easter").

• Like 5

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Suspect this is a product of the "bomb cyclone" (what we used to call a "Nor'easter").

I believe a bomb cyclone is essentially a hurricane-strength Nor'easter, so not all Nor'easters are bomb cyclones.

Edit: Doing some additional research, according to NOAA  to undergo bombogenesis and be labeled a bomb cyclone the storm's central pressure has to drop at least 24 millibars within 24 hours.

Edited by njhorseman

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The ship should have been in the Gulf Stream

At that stage of the cruise the ship is too close to the coastline to be in the Gulf Stream. Per this from NOAA the Gulf Stream is centered about 180 miles due east of Atlantic City.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/gulfstreamspeed.html#:~:text=The Gulf Stream Current — the,of Atlantic City%2C New Jersey.

50 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

At that stage of the cruise the ship is too close to the coastline to be in the Gulf Stream. Per this from NOAA the Gulf Stream is centered about 180 miles due east of Atlantic City.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/gulfstreamspeed.html#:~:text=The Gulf Stream Current — the,of Atlantic City%2C New Jersey.

And is 60+ miles wide.  I was thinking more of the time they were approaching Norfolk, as that was a missed port.

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And is 60+ miles wide.  I was thinking more of the time they were approaching Norfolk, as that was a missed port.

Of course sixty miles wide still puts the ship far west of the perimeter of the Gulf Stream  when it's off the NJ coast in the vicinity of Atlantic City as the picture of the TV screen shows it is when the OP posted. At that point you're just about to get close enough to shore to see the lights on land on the horizon along the Jersey Shore so I can't imagine that the ship is more than 20 or 25 miles offshore.

that's hurricane force winds  70kts =80.5mph.  Anything over 64 knots is hurricane and force 12 on the beaufort scale.  thats craziness.  I've been in Force 10 winds, and 8 meter seas, on an NCL ship on the west side of Vancouver Island, heading to Seattle, wouldn't want to be in anything higher.  hope things calm down for you. 

7 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

I didn't note direction of wind but I'd say ALL 😁. In haven restaurant Thor was constantly hammering above. Vibe is probably a mess. 

The wind direction was just about 360(out of the north) which matched our heading. I saw 78kn on my screen. it was windy but was pretty manageable till evening. Somehow we still disembarked by 8:50am.

Just to give an idea of how stable a ship like this is (despite everyone saying that cruise ships are top hearvy), that wind speed on the side of a ship like the Getaway, is pushing against the side of the ship with 1800+ tons of force, and the ship still has enough stability to stop listing at a certain point (and from the water in the glass, it wasn't that much).

4 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Just to give an idea of how stable a ship like this is (despite everyone saying that cruise ships are top hearvy), that wind speed on the side of a ship like the Getaway, is pushing against the side of the ship with 1800+ tons of force, and the ship still has enough stability to stop listing at a certain point (and from the water in the glass, it wasn't that much).

I always enjoy reading what you have to say. Thanks for the insight?

BTW, did you attend the Merchant Marine school in New York state?

Just now, GALSews said:

BTW, did you attend the Merchant Marine school in New York state?

Which one?  I did not attend New York Maritime, but as my avatar shows, I did attend the US Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, NY.

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

Which one?  I did not attend New York Maritime, but as my avatar shows, I did attend the US Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, NY.

I wasn't aware there were two in NY. I knew of the one down the Hudson from where I went to school a "few" years back. I also pretty sure that my home state of Massachusetts had one. I didn't know there were so few, though. Apparently your current state also has one. 

Thanks for the quick response. 

33 minutes ago, GALSews said:

I wasn't aware there were two in NY. I knew of the one down the Hudson from where I went to school a "few" years back. I also pretty sure that my home state of Massachusetts had one. I didn't know there were so few, though. Apparently your current state also has one. 

Thanks for the quick response. 

There are California, New York, Massachusetts, Maine, Great Lakes (Traverse City, MI), and Texas A&M for state academies.  Kings Point is a federal academy, like West Point, Annapolis, Air Force, and Coast Guard academies.

• Thanks 3

On 3/13/2022 at 5:08 PM, chengkp75 said:

There are California, New York, Massachusetts, Maine, Great Lakes (Traverse City, MI), and Texas A&M for state academies.  Kings Point is a federal academy, like West Point, Annapolis, Air Force, and Coast Guard academies.

Chief, I always enjoy reading and learning from your posts. Can a KP graduate be commissioned by one of the military services after graduation or would they be required to attend OCS? Do any/many KP graduates accept military commissions versus working in civilian jobs?

12 hours ago, Barklee said:

Chief, I always enjoy reading and learning from your posts. Can a KP graduate be commissioned by one of the military services after graduation or would they be required to attend OCS? Do any/many KP graduates accept military commissions versus working in civilian jobs?

All KP graduates obtain a Bachelor's Degree, a Merchant Mariner's License, and a military commission.  They also have an 8 year reserve officer's commitment, as a minimum.  Probably 10-15% of each graduating class choose to take an active commission, and can choose from any of the branches of service (ranked in my observations as Navy, Marines, Coast Guard, Air Force, and Army).  Many of those who take an active commission go to flight school.  The commission and service commitment, along with a commitment to take a job in the maritime industry for 8 years, is the quid pro quo for a virtually free education.

Unlike the other federal academies, Kings Point is the only academy that has sent it's undergraduates to war.  Starting in WW2, and continuing to today, Kings Point midshipmen, as part of their required one year at sea on commercial vessels, learning the practical application of their knowledge, have been sent to war zones, myself included.  During WW2, 142 midshipmen, undergraduates, volunteers, and not commissioned in an armed service, gave their lives.  For this reason, the USMMA is the only federal service academy granted a "Battle Standard" flag, which commemorates the heroics and actions of these gallant students.  This Battle Standard is carried by the Honor Guard at all functions along with the national flag, and the flag of the academy.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2