Don't like my upgrade - do I have options?

Rdcjward11

I recently received a notice from Viking telling me that they've changed my cabin from DV6 to DV4, an upgrade of two categories (although the cabins and amenities are identical, it is just one deck higher).  I don't like the location of the new cabin and was told by a representative of Viking that there was nothing they could do about it.  Supposedly, they are renovating the original cabin choice.  I went from middle of the ship several cabins away from the stairs to middle of the ship where everyone will be standing right outside my door for the elevators.  The cruise is not sold out but DV4 is.  Should I insist that they upgrade me again since I liked my old cabin location better than the new one?  Do I have any options?

25 minutes ago, Rdcjward11 said:

I recently received a notice from Viking telling me that they've changed my cabin from DV6 to DV4, an upgrade of two categories (although the cabins and amenities are identical, it is just one deck higher).  I don't like the location of the new cabin and was told by a representative of Viking that there was nothing they could do about it.  Supposedly, they are renovating the original cabin choice.  I went from middle of the ship several cabins away from the stairs to middle of the ship where everyone will be standing right outside my door for the elevators.  The cruise is not sold out but DV4 is.  Should I insist that they upgrade me again since I liked my old cabin location better than the new one?  Do I have any options?

We have had cabins near the elevators and it is not noisy nor are there crowds standing outside your door.  By elevators is our cabin location of choice especially the forward elevators.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rdcjward11 said:

To answer your question, I would say that yes you have options.  I would  pull up a deck plan and with that in front of you call Viking , explain the situation , that the move was not at your request and you would prefer another location in the same category , then ask the agent to find another available D6 cabin for you.  If the agent says they can’t do

it ( which is not true because I have moved cabins within the same category) , then ask for a supervisor.  As long as there are other D6 cabins available, you should not have to accept one that you feel you will not like. 

You shouldn’t have to be persistent, but you may have to be by calling several times to find a helpful agent or by emailing tellus@vikingcruises.com . 

27 minutes ago, duquephart said:

He asked if he had options, not how quiet it is by the elevators.

Except that he specifically said “everyone will be standing right outside my door for the elevators.”  It stands to reason that noise was the basis of his concern.  

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Eggtuary said:

Except that he specifically said “everyone will be standing right outside my door for the elevators.”  It stands to reason that noise was the basis of his concern.  

"Should I insist that they upgrade me again since I liked my old cabin location better than the new one?  Do I have any options?"

8 hours ago, Rdcjward11 said:

Welcome to the Viking board as I see it is your first post.  Is this your first Viking cruise ?  If you are unable to change the location of your upgraded cabin then I am sure you will not be troubled by people waiting for elevators unlike on some other cruise lines.   However, of course, it is worth trying to get your location of choice.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rdcjward11 said:

Contact Viking or your travel agent and let them know your concerns.  If there is another cabin available, I’m sure they will work with you.  Based on our experiences with several Viking Ocean cruises, you won’t find people congregating around the elevators or stairs or anywhere else.  Even when the ship is at capacity, you often feel like you’re the only ones aboard.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, duquephart said:

"Should I insist that they upgrade me again since I liked my old cabin location better than the new one?  Do I have any options?"

Right. And it was clear from context that the potential for people standing outside his room were the reason he wanted another location. 

Edited by Eggtuary

• 3 weeks later...

We had a similar experience.  Viking "upgraded" us from V1 to DV6 as the V1 stateroom (portside forward) we booked was used for quarantine.  The problem was that we didn't like the location of DV6 - it's way closer to Torshaven and right across the launderette.  I called Viking and expressed my concerns.  The Viking agent was actually very dismissive of my concerns.  I wrote to Tellus and didn't get any response.  Eventually, my TA helped to resolve this issue.  She was able to get Viking to upgrade me to DV4.  If you use a TA, it's better to have your TA talk to Viking.  Viking pretty much refused to work with me directly.  

On 3/31/2022 at 3:24 PM, sleepybobo said:

If you use a TA, it's better to have your TA talk to Viking.  Viking pretty much refused to work with me directly.  

That's right. If you are working with a TA then it is their job to interface with Viking. There are lots of reasons for this protocol but mostly it is about  keeping communications clear.