Grand Northern Europe Voyage - Lisbon to Stockholm - May 6, 2022 to June 28, 2022

mysty

Mysty et al

Can you tell us about the differences, if any,  in the cruise experience today as compared with the cruise experience pre covid, other than the obvious of distancing and mask wearing etc? 

From some of the posts, it appears that the wearing of masks is being ignored by a good number of people aboard and that there are other inconsideracies or boorish behaviors on this cruise. 

I can recall seeing some unpleasant and rude behaviors on other cruises before covid, but for some reason the posts seem to indicate that what you are experiencing is different in some way…

Just wondering. 

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 2

Just now, spinnaker2 said:

Mysty et al

Can you tell us about the differences, if any,  in the cruise experience today as compared with the cruise experience pre covid, other than the obvious of distancing and mask wearing etc? 

From some of the posts, it appears that the wearing of masks is being ignored by a good number of people aboard and that there are other inconsideracies or boorish behaviors. 

From my personal perspective,  this is not a friendly crowd.  I'm not sure if the social skills we once had have been eroded by the social isolation resulting as a by-product of the nasty.  The vibe is not the same!  Many new to Silversea and possibly making judgments based on an experience which falls short of their expectations without acknowledging that the world situation cannot guarantee them the usual Silversea experience!  Behaviours on board have been inconsiderate and "entitled", perhaps due to unrealistic expectations.   I do not like to complain.   However,  the behaviour of some is impacting many.  Please note that this is not a Silversea failing!  This is a fellow passenger failing!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mysty said:

From my personal perspective,  this is not a friendly crowd.  I'm not sure if the social skills we once had have been eroded by the social isolation resulting as a by-product of the nasty.  The vibe is not the same!  Many new to Silversea and possibly making judgments based on an experience which falls short of their expectations without acknowledging that the world situation cannot guarantee them the usual Silversea experience!  Behaviours on board have been inconsiderate and "entitled", perhaps due to unrealistic expectations.   I do not like to complain.   However,  the behaviour of some is impacting many.  Please note that this is not a Silversea failing!  This is a fellow passenger failing!

Mysty, thank you for your many postings and musings on this cruise.  I have a keen interest in this ship as I will be aboard in September.  Just how concerned should I be with the behavior of fellow cruisers?  Just which “behaviors” are “impacting many” and how are they impacting?  If they are new to SS do you think they are Crystal refugees?  I’ve only been on one Crystal cruise and didn’t care for the “vibe” at all be those cruisers have to end up somewhere…

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, mysty said:

When we boarded the Moon in Athens March 30, it was our first Silversea voyage, and our first cruise ever.  We were apprehensive about how we would be treated by those who were seasoned cruisers, but we found a group of folks who welcomed us with open arms.  Some stayed onboard and are sailing with you now.  Others disembarked with us in Lisbon.  There were many aboard who kept to themselves or stayed within their own safe circle of friends.  Some we spoke with had been sailing with Silversea for years and commented on how they thought the product had declined. Then, there was a couple in the suite next to ours who had been onboard since Barbados, having been stranded by Crystal when they went under.  They couldn't have been more friendly to us and were having a wonderful time.  There were groups that came on for one leg and made everyone miserable, however there were also some who were on for the whole multi leg voyage who annoyed everyone (by now, I think you know them).  Was it this way before Covid?  Not sure, however we experienced the exact same people, good and bad, on organized land tours we took.  It just seems to be magnified now, a reflection of how people interact with each other in their day to day lives.  I personally found it crazy that there were so many differing opinions of Covid, mask wearing, vaccines, etc.  I would have thought everyone onboard who knew of the protocols beforehand would at least share the same values with respect to fighting this, but it was a lofty expectation on my part.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Gourmet Gal said:

Mysty, thank you for your many postings and musings on this cruise.  I have a keen interest in this ship as I will be aboard in September.  Just how concerned should I be with the behavior of fellow cruisers?  Just which “behaviors” are “impacting many” and how are they impacting?  If they are new to SS do you think they are Crystal refugees?  I’ve only been on one Crystal cruise and didn’t care for the “vibe” at all be those cruisers have to end up somewhere…

When COVID cases are increasing a reasonable response might be to wear masks as you move about the ship,  especially in elevators.   Not the norm here.   Resistance to mask requirements on the tour bus and on tenders which makes it difficult for Silversea staff and crew.   The requirements are clear.  I can't speak to the cruise line source for the new folks.   And I can't speak to which lines are the source of the unhappy folks.  There are few smiles, virtually no greetings in hallways,  little reaction when greetings are given,  little eye contact.  To be clear we have met some lovely folks!  This is not a whole ship of unhappy folks!  However,  this is also not the same atmosphere as in the before times to my mind. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

When we boarded the Moon in Athens March 30, it was our first Silversea voyage, and our first cruise ever.  We were apprehensive about how we would be treated by those who were seasoned cruisers, but we found a group of folks who welcomed us with open arms.  Some stayed onboard and are sailing with you now.  Others disembarked with us in Lisbon.  There were many aboard who kept to themselves or stayed within their own safe circle of friends.  Some we spoke with had been sailing with Silversea for years and commented on how they thought the product had declined. Then, there was a couple in the suite next to ours who had been onboard since Barbados, having been stranded by Crystal when they went under.  They couldn't have been more friendly to us and were having a wonderful time.  There were groups that came on for one leg and made everyone miserable, however there were also some who were on for the whole multi leg voyage who annoyed everyone (by now, I think you know them).  Was it this way before Covid?  Not sure, however we experienced the exact same people, good and bad, on organized land tours we took.  It just seems to be magnified now, a reflection of how people interact with each other in their day to day lives.  I personally found it crazy that there were so many differing opinions of Covid, mask wearing, vaccines, etc.  I would have thought everyone onboard who knew of the protocols beforehand would at least share the same values with respect to fighting this, but it was a lofty expectation on my part.

I agree with your analysis!  It only takes a few recalcitrant folks to infect a ship in terms of disease as well as in terms of atmosphere!  

• Like 3

Hi Mysty, just want to say how sorry I am that you have to deal with such rude and classless folks☹️

It sounds like they are really making it a less than enjoyable trip.

I will be on the Dawn later this month and hoping for a better experience!

• Like 2

My wife and I were on the Moon during the Southampton to Reykjavik segment. This was our third Silversea cruise.  Let me offer a different perspective. I saw no overly indulgent drinking or boorish behavior. In fact, my wife and I thought  that the group on our cruise was older and more sedate than those we had observed on our prior Silversea cruises. For reference, I am 70 years old. Some people did not strictly follow the dress code, but that was the  case with  the other Silversea cruises we have been on.   Most of the complaints on this blog relate to mask wearing. It is true that during the segment of the cruise we were on many people did not wear masks when not required. In my opinion, when mask wearing is not required reasonable people can reach different decisions as to whether and when to wear masks. Those insisting that it is inconsiderate to not wear masks all the time might want to search for a cruise line with more stringent Covid rules. People are paying a lot of money for this cruise, and walking around wearing a mask for two weeks might not be everyone’s idea of a vacation. Having followed this blog for years, it has been fascinating to read the the differing impressions of a cruise we were  on.  My wife attributes the tone of the posts to the fact that we were on a segment of a grand cruise. She might be right. Bottom line, please don’t get the idea that there are a lot of boorish, poorly dressed  drunks on the Moon. If you will be offended by people not wearing masks when not required, then a cruise on the Moon might not be for you.  This post might offend some,  but the people I have enjoyed reading on the Silversea blog have always struck me as being interesting and intelligent. And not thinking they are somehow better than others. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mwhm said:

My wife and I were on the Moon during the Southampton to Reykjavik segment. This was our third Silversea cruise.  Let me offer a different perspective. I saw no overly indulgent drinking or boorish behavior. In fact, my wife and I thought  that the group on our cruise was older and more sedate than those we had observed on our prior Silversea cruises. For reference, I am 70 years old. Some people did not strictly follow the dress code, but that was the  case with  the other Silversea cruises we have been on.   Most of the complaints on this blog relate to mask wearing. It is true that during the segment of the cruise we were on many people did not wear masks when not required. In my opinion, when mask wearing is not required reasonable people can reach different decisions as to whether and when to wear masks. Those insisting that it is inconsiderate to not wear masks all the time might want to search for a cruise line with more stringent Covid rules. People are paying a lot of money for this cruise, and walking around wearing a mask for two weeks might not be everyone’s idea of a vacation. Having followed this blog for years, it has been fascinating to read the the differing impressions of a cruise we were  on.  My wife attributes the tone of the posts to the fact that we were on a segment of a grand cruise. She might be right. Bottom line, please don’t get the idea that there are a lot of boorish, poorly dressed  drunks on the Moon. If you will be offended by people not wearing masks when not required, then a cruise on the Moon might not be for you.  This post might offend some,  but the people I have enjoyed reading on the Silversea blog have always struck me as being interesting and intelligent. And not thinking they are somehow better than others. 

Thanks for your observations🙂.  I do appreciate them. But part of the issue, for example....if (BIG IF)

a mask is required in the theater? Or on a bus for a tour? I would think folks should ahere to the requirements.  I have been on 4 cruises since last summer's restart......(none this year) but going again later this month.  I don't like wearing a mask anymore either but if they say in "such and such a venue", it is required, I will wear it.  I just think it is the right thing to do. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mwhm said:

When COVID positive cases are increasing it is an in issue for folks who are hoping to enjoy the full cruise to Stockholm.  We booked this cruise well over a year ago after 2 canceled cruises.   The current COVID situation was not anticipated.   Is it really too much to ask that folks follow the rules?  I think not!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Just now, mwhm said:

Your experience may well have been different than our current situation.   We are on the Grand Northern Europe Voyage.   We did pay a lot for this experience.   And we are very concerned that our vacation will be affected by folks who choose not to follow the rules!  I'm happy that you enjoyed a wonderful cruise!  Do you really not wish the same for us?  And please don't disparage my posts because I am concerned about our current situation!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It must be a thankless job to decide the rules regarding mask wearing. Cruise ships will forever be thought of differently regarding such rules as the memory of the Princess cruise ship a couple years ago that could not come home has not been forgotten.  So, of course, we should follow the rules, once articulated, out of simple respect for one another and for the one who had to set them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It seems as though MWHM may have not observed the mask rules being flouted because the statement reads, “It is true that during the segment of the cruise we were on many people did not wear masks when not required.”  So if the ship’s rules do not require more masking then one can only protect themselves, correct?  If the concern about Covid transmission is so great then perhaps speaking to the CD or other authority can affect a change in rules.  I agree that if individuals follow the rules then the ire should not be directed towards them but to those who make the rules.  If there is lack of compliance and enforcement then that’s another story.  

As an aside, after my recent cruise where masking was required while moving about the ship, on the busses, etc., but not while dining and drinking in the bar, then I can tell you that even if every single person had followed the rules there would still been transmission of Covid.  It’s almost a no-brainer that sitting at tables, indoors and maskless is a recipe for contagion. Cruising in this environment is high-risk for sure.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mwhm said:

My wife and I were on the Moon during the Southampton to Reykjavik segment.  Let me offer a different perspective. I saw no overly indulgent drinking…

I don’t remember anyone on the Grand Voyage or any segment reporting overly indulgent drinking.  Did I miss something in this topic, mwhm?

• Like 3

One should read the whole topic before commenting.

We observed the events pointed out by me. Maybe some have been

deleted?  What about the tours that leave late because some person 

don't show up on time. What about the time when the tour we were

on was late leaving a stop because the same couple was late returning

twice. What about the times we got feedback when we pointed out

they were in a mandatory mask area without one on! 
Need more, maybe later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Once again I am confused as to how the Captain can announce daily Covid Figures if, as indicated by Guests on board, Tests are not being done ? - Where do the Figures come from ?

I also am somewhat confused by the thoughts on Mask Wearing. Whilst I agree we as individuals should protect ourselves as much as possible, how can we complain that others are not wearing Masks in situations that are not mandatory ?. I totally accept that Silversea Instructions should be enforced but as I understand it, these only relate to certain Venues and therefore other Areas are ' Personal Choice ' - what may be my choice may not be other Guests choice.

I feel that Cruising at the moment is still far removed from what we experienced Pre Covid and we just have to accept that if we choose to be on board.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mayflower1 said:

Once again I am confused as to how the Captain can announce daily Covid Figures if, as indicated by Guests on board, Tests are not being done ? - Where do the Figures come from ?

I also am somewhat confused by the thoughts on Mask Wearing. Whilst I agree we as individuals should protect ourselves as much as possible, how can we complain that others are not wearing Masks in situations that are not mandatory ?. I totally accept that Silversea Instructions should be enforced but as I understand it, these only relate to certain Venues and therefore other Areas are ' Personal Choice ' - what may be my choice may not be other Guests choice.

I feel that Cruising at the moment is still far removed from what we experienced Pre Covid and we just have to accept that if we choose to be on board.

If you are confused, just think of those who are not commenting.

I stand by my recommendation that cruising should be postponed until

at least November. 

• Like 2

I would like to try to put this thread back on its track.   Could we please press pause on the discussion relating to mask wearing and who is responsible for what?  Please?

• Like 11