Does the "Waitlist" ever clear?

chloemonkey

I just rec'd notice that our November cruise (on another line) has been cancelled.  And since Oceania cruises book up so far ahead of time.....I was wondering if these "Waitlist" staterooms ever clear?  As in are there a lots of folks who place deposits on various trips/staterooms and then cancel?  

Just didn't realize how far in advance you have to book Oceania.....as we have been cancelling and rescheduling for the past two years due to Covid....and now when we are able to travel, there are no suites available.  And then with this cancellation.....it's just made me sad and I am hoping that you expert Oceania regulars can shed some light as to whether or not it is even possible to have the waitlists clear.....

We cleared the waitlist for Reykjavik to Paris back in late January well ahead of final payment time when most waitlist cabins become available, we had put our deposits down in September.  Almost cried when we decided to cancel due to Covid  at that time.  One of our ports,  and one of the reasons we booked, was St. Petersburg.  Wasn’t sure even then if it would remain as a port for that itinerary.  

Edited by LNielsen

12 minutes ago, chloemonkey said:

I just rec'd notice that our November cruise (on another line) has been cancelled.  And since Oceania cruises book up so far ahead of time.....I was wondering if these "Waitlist" staterooms ever clear?  As in are there a lots of folks who place deposits on various trips/staterooms and then cancel?  

Just didn't realize how far in advance you have to book Oceania.....as we have been cancelling and rescheduling for the past two years due to Covid....and now when we are able to travel, there are no suites available.  And then with this cancellation.....it's just made me sad and I am hoping that you expert Oceania regulars can shed some light as to whether or not it is even possible to have the waitlists clear.....

Yes they do clear especially near time of final payment. I think lots of folks booked lots of cruises this year, 'just in case' so don't lose hope. There is a priority waitlist wherein you pay a deposit and are advised of your place on the WL. Folks who pay the deposit have and advantage over those who don't.

• Like 4

I had a good outcome: went on a waitlist about six months ago, no deposit. Whole cruise was waitlisted so never expected it to clear. Was notified yesterday it did and not even sailing ’til October so you never know…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chloemonkey said:

There are indeed some last minute "openings", regardless of whether there is a waitlist or not.

Twice, once on Oceania, we had a last minute cancellation due to medical emergencies (once, DH, the other the other time, very elderly MIL), so someone probably got a nice surprise, and perhaps a nice price?

And on the other side of it, on a different line, we once stumbled across a dynamite forward facing suite (our favorite) for an Alaska cruise (the views!!!) at almost the last minute, and it was heavily discounted.  Win/win!  It was one of our best trips.  We had most of our meals served at our DR table in front of floor-to-ceiling windows (and sliding doors), as we sailed past the most beautiful scenery.  It was very special.  Flexibility made it possible.

And another time, Oceania must have been oversold, and they offered us a different, longer cruise, at about half the price.  Alas, we couldn't go on either.  But there was no doubt that someone got "our" original suite.

So... it happens.

GC

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

Sigh.  Waitlists on O.  Here's how we dealt with it.  Booked a cabin.  Realized that there was no way we could cope with that cabin.  Went on a waitlist for a higher category.  

Made checking the O website part of my daily morning routine.  Every morning, check the weather, the news feed, the Oceania website for that sailing.  One morning (3 months later) noticed there was availability in the category we wanted.  Called our TA, got the cabin.  Clearly, the wait list was not checked before that cabin was released.  So my advice to you is to channel your inner terrier and make it happen yourself.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, khuselid said:

... There is a priority waitlist wherein you pay a deposit and are advised of your place on the WL. Folks who pay the deposit have an advantage over those who don't.

Wife and I recently put a deposit down on the final F Inside Stateroom for an Oct-Nov '23 E. Med cruise on Riviera in order to be on the priority wait list for an Ocean View. The Guest Statement document has a section titled "Category Priority Waitlist(s)" and we are now "#1 - C Deluxe Outside".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

Sigh.  Waitlists on O.  Here's how we dealt with it.  Booked a cabin.  Realized that there was no way we could cope with that cabin.  Went on a waitlist for a higher category.  

Made checking the O website part of my daily morning routine.  Every morning, check the weather, the news feed, the Oceania website for that sailing.  One morning (3 months later) noticed there was availability in the category we wanted.  Called our TA, got the cabin.  Clearly, the wait list was not checked before that cabin was released.  So my advice to you is to channel your inner terrier and make it happen yourself.

Oh no you just revealed my secret...   🙂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Kate-AHF said:

Same thing happened to me. I was on a waitlist for a penthouse and reserved a lower category state room. I noticed a penthouse guarantee open up, and I grabbed it! 

• Like 1

On 3/14/2022 at 6:57 PM, Kate-AHF said:

You are speaking my language! lol......as I have already discovered a few that have opened up.  But I am still unclear as to what the final payment deadline is as I have been told that it depends on the length of the cruise.  

9 hours ago, chloemonkey said:

You are speaking my language! lol......as I have already discovered a few that have opened up.  But I am still unclear as to what the final payment deadline is as I have been told that it depends on the length of the cruise.  

Yes. I googled it, and found terms and conditions that say cruises 14 nights or less have 90 day FP, and longer cruises (not ATW) have 150 day FP. 
If you’re already booked, your FP is listed on your invoice.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

Booking O directly with a deposit will put you to top of wait list. I guess you could transfer booking to indep. agent once its  done by O if its important but O dislikes outside agents. They once told me I could wait list as many cabins as I wish. (Although I have become a good repeat O cruiser since the downfall of Celebrity).

22 minutes ago, zoncom said:

Booking O directly with a deposit will put you to top of wait list. I guess you could transfer booking to indep. agent once its  done by O if its important but O dislikes outside agents.

maybe it depends on the agent 🙄

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

maybe it depends on the agent 🙄

I agree - I have never seen nor heard that O dislikes TA's......when booking onboard they send our booking directly to the TA that booked us (unless you ask for them not to) and she then adds all of her perks on top of everything we received while booking onboard.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zoncom said:

I guess you could transfer booking to indep. agent once its  done by O if its important but O dislikes outside agents.

On the contrary, our independent agent has a great relationship with O and has done wonders for us. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

We got a call from our TA this week that we cleared the waitlist that we've been on for a year and now have a confirmed booking for a cruise in October.  In our first choice cabin category. Surprised and happy that it happened this soon because I didn't think we had a chance until July when FP is due. It was our first experience being on a waitlist and I can say that, yes, waitlists do clear.  

• Like 3

If you have a great Oceania Connoisseur Club  travel agent you shouldn’t have to navigate the wait list on your own.  We’ve been waitlisted on several O cruises and our TA persisted until she got us the cabins we wanted.    Once it was a guarantee PH and that was fine with us.  Whatever it takes to be on the cruise you really want.  Maybe we were just lucky but that worked for us.

• Like 2

We went on the paid  Vista waitlist beginning of March. Picked our categories.  Got word last week that we had cleared the B1 list.....the others hadn't moved at all.