Carnival Requiring Booster for 16 Day Voyage - Is This New?

TravelBluebird

30 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

If the FDA approves the 4th booster for the over-65s right away, I think Carnival could reasonably epect people to get them in time for the cruise, bit as we get closer, its not realistic, since I think I read somewhere you are supposed to have 14 days after your last shot/booster before you can sail. 

It is 14 days after the initial series of shot(s).

9 hours ago, TravelBluebird said:

Hi, everyone! Just got this in my e-mail; it looks like Carnival is requiring everyone on the 16 day Spirit repositioning cruise (leaves April 17)  through the Panama Canal to have their COVID booster shot.

Is this new? Its not a big deal for me and hubby because we have our boosters, but I don’t recall any other Carnival voyages requiring this up to this time.

FC2537D4-84FB-4753-9FAB-F0DA8C5EAE40.jpeg

Sounds like something new that Carnival just decided to require. We just returned from Hawaii. At the time of the cruise we did not know what Hawaii would require, so we got the booster. Turned out it was not needed. We did have a total of three covid tests though.

6 hours ago, Jasalth said:

We were booked on the Pride repositioning cruise in October. We ended up canceling because of needing the PCR test within 48 hours, which we thought was cutting it close at the time. You also had to be fully vaccinated at the time also (2 shots, boosters weren't for everyone then). 

I feel it might be either a length, back to back sea days (which would explain Hawaii having different) or a reposition issue requirement (end city doesn't want an influx of 3000+ people with Covid dropped in their lap!) 

What I would be MOST concerned about right now, is the FDA approvals in the works for a 4th booster for specific people. In the case of someone over 65 on this cruise... what happens when on April 3rd they pass the 4th booster for that age group? I would really really want clarification on that if I was older and planning on being on this sailing... 

Our 10 day on May 2nd doesn't have this requirement (or I haven't gotten a letter yet at least) but either way, we are sailing because well I bought airfare as soon as prices started rising because of fuel costs, my air would be almost $900pp now... and I got them for less than $500pp so it works for us! 

If your talking about the 10/31 Pride from Baltimore to Tampa, fully vaccinated people (in our case 2 shots of Moderna) had to present a standard antigen test taken within the 2 day limit; a PCR test was an option but was certainly not required for that cohort.  Just correcting the record.

As to Hawaii, they have their own VERY restrictive rules that all visitors must adhere to.  That had nothing to do with the cruise lines. (We endured those rules, 4/21.)

Requirements evolve.  We have a friend who had the single shot J&J.  Just got boosted last week.  Germany is demanding a test from him for entry on our flight later today.  That testing requirement doesn't exist for those with a 2 shot (plus boosted) regiment.  And uploading all the records was an absolute nightmare requiring Call Center assistance but that's another story all together.

Bottom line.... the fine print is important and the protocol is what it is.  One can either accept it of opt out by not going.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jsglow said:

Bottom line.... the fine print is important and the protocol is what it is.  One can either accept it of opt out by not going.

True. And Carnival was very pro-active in telling everyone about the new protocol//requirement. I received about 4 letters from them yesterday AND a robo call.  

• Like 1

Seems like a precaution Carnival needs to take to be able to stop at all ports on a 16 day.   Based on requires of ports not Carnival's mandate.

We know from data that the 2 shot vaccinations decline in immunity after about 5-6 months.  And a booster may help.  But we also know that with Omicron variants, vaccinated and boosted combined with being masked doesn't completely act as preventatives to COVID.

Edited by crewsweeper

5 hours ago, jsglow said:

Part of the protocol is that it is subject to change at any time. 

26 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Seems like a precaution Carnival needs to take to be able to stop at all ports on a 16 day.   Based on requires of ports not Carnival's mandate.

We know from data that the 2 shot vaccinations decline in immunity after about 5-6 months.  And a booster may help.  But we also know that with Omicron variants, vaccinated and boosted combined with being masked doesn't completely act as preventatives to COVID.

We also know that without vaccinations your odds of dying go up. Many of the ports do not have the same access to vaccines and boosters that the US does. Every little bit helps.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

We also know that without vaccinations your odds of dying go up. Many of the ports do not have the same access to vaccines and boosters that the US does. Every little bit helps.

What gets missing is the immunity from having COVID.   But no one is tracking how long that lasts.  And certainly not non-US ports.

John mentioned today that this is only for this cruise of 16 days and that there are no plans to make this a requirement for all cruises.  Obviously that could change, but I'm guessing they also realize that many, if not most, people are tired of hearing about shot after shot and have no plans of taking them.

• Like 1

John Heald said the booster is required for this 16 day cruise only which I took to mean that my 16 day cruise in Sept does not require a booster at this time. Of course that could change in August

20 minutes ago, Lee Cruiser said:

John mentioned today that this is only for this cruise of 16 days and that there are no plans to make this a requirement for all cruises.  Obviously that could change, but I'm guessing they also realize that many, if not most, people are tired of hearing about shot after shot and have no plans of taking them.

I certainly plan on taking them. Pandemic isn't over and Europe is seeing a rise in cases. This usually precipitates a rise in the USA based on all previous data. Boosters are just topping off your insurance policy. I'll be getting mine at each opportunity and feel blessed to have the opportunity to do so. Everyone needs to decide for themselves but I know too many stories of those who gambled on covid and payed a hefty price, some the ultimate price. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

What gets missing is the immunity from having COVID.   But no one is tracking how long that lasts.  And certainly not non-US ports.

When I received vaccines and boosters, it was well documented and is traceable. Considering how many people allegedly have had covid multiple times, I'm not sure there is an "natural" immunity.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Lane Hog said:

The company won't blame a government they depend upon, so easier to point to the length of the cruise...

Which government would that be? Covid is not limited to the US or to Carnival.

Saga cruises recently cancelled a cruise midway after a covid outbreak and because of entry requirements in the Caribbean.

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/cruise/saga-offers-refunds-after-covid-cruise-cancellation

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee Cruiser said:

If there was a cruise they were going to require boosters for, this is probably the best one. Due to the length, itinerary and time of year, I think most passengers will be older//retired people. So, most of us are in the demographic which is likely to have been boostered. Husband and I have boosters; one child and husband and our grandchildren do not have their boosters and are not planning to get them at this time (we are hoping to take them on a shorter cruise later this year).

We picked this itinerary for Panama Canal (bucket list) and for me to step foot on South America for the first time (we originally had 2 ports in Columbia, we now have just 1, Cartagena).  Also this cruise (along with a bunch of others) is partially replacing a big Caribbean//Brazil cruise we had planned to take with another cruise line which was cancelled, twice, during the pandemic.

20 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

When I received vaccines and boosters, it was well documented and is traceable. Considering how many people allegedly have had covid multiple times, I'm not sure there is an "natural" immunity.

Yep, we know someone (40 year old healthy) who spent 3 months on a vent, nearly died, did rehab, got released, refused vaccine still and caught covid again shortly after he returned home. Still having trouble/issues from it to this day. Natural immunity may be a good short term bet but not so much a long term gamble. The jury is still out. 

1 hour ago, cruisingguy007 said:

I certainly plan on taking them. Pandemic isn't over and Europe is seeing a rise in cases. This usually precipitates a rise in the USA based on all previous data. Boosters are just topping off your insurance policy. I'll be getting mine at each opportunity and feel blessed to have the opportunity to do so. Everyone needs to decide for themselves but I know too many stories of those who gambled on covid and payed a hefty price, some the ultimate price. 

Have you ever thought about going to your Dr. and getting a titer done, before getting multiple boosters?

I wonder if anybody has actually done that?

And maybe a medical professional could answer this. If a titer shows you have immunity to a virus, can boosters cause more harm than good in the long run?

Maybe there are studies being done on lasting immunities to Covid, both from vaccines and having it, but we sure don’t see a lot of those studies. 

5 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Have you ever thought about going to your Dr. and getting a titer done, before getting multiple boosters?

And maybe a medical professional could answer this. If a titer shows you have immunity to a virus, can boosters cause more harm than good in the long run?

Maybe there are studies being done on lasting immunities to Covid, both from vaccines and having it, but we sure don’t see a lot of those studies. 

Proof of antibodies doesn't prove immunity, but I doubt many studies are being done in that area - it simply isn't a priority compared with more urgent needs.

Probably not many studies (yet) on the long term harm cause by covid. We know death is one possible side effect.

1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

I'm more concerned about maximum protection vs simply having antibodies. It would be nice to have more information and you bring up some good points but keeping my resistance high is my priority and main reasons for wanting to stay on top of the boosters.

I sure hope we won't be needing the booster for our 7 night cruise in May. I have the booster, got very sick and my husband refuses to get his. We will be cancelling if they require it. I was hoping they would be getting rid of the pre-cruise covid test by May, wishful thinking.

2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Proof of antibodies doesn't prove immunity, but I doubt many studies are being done in that area - it simply isn't a priority compared with more urgent needs.

Probably not many studies (yet) on the long term harm cause by covid. We know death is one possible side effect.

Even fewer studies done on the long term harm caused by the vaccines and boosters.

27 minutes ago, birdie16 said:

I sure hope we won't be needing the booster for our 7 night cruise in May. I have the booster, got very sick and my husband refuses to get his. We will be cancelling if they require it. I was hoping they would be getting rid of the pre-cruise covid test by May, wishful thinking.

Could still be possible, things are changing quickly and burdens being eased at a rapid clip. Even Canada/Australia have made big changes. The CDC could make a scheme where 'if you meet x, no testing' type deal. A different matter entirely is if ports will play-ball with such a decision; I suspect many would, though some may not.  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Even fewer studies done on the long term harm caused by the vaccines and boosters.

The disease has been around longer and killed more. Long covid is a reality. No evidence of long vaccines.

50 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The disease has been around longer and killed more. Long covid is a reality. No evidence of long vaccines.

No, but there is evidence of long natural immunity given the 200 years that virology has been studied and documented...

58 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

What is this constant boosting doing to our immune systems? We are going off topic here but those who are interested can do their own research and speak to their doctor.