Escape damaged, cruise cancelled, passengers being flown home

Javajitterz

6 hours ago, fonekween said:

Reports from others are Escape is returning to PC to pick up supplies before heading to dry dock for repair in Freeport. Since she's due in tomorrow morning, I guess we shall see if and when she leaves again!

She is due to arrive about 3P.M.  Probably has to wait until today's sailings leave to be able to dock.

3 minutes ago, roboref said:

Realizing there are rumors running rampant. What is the bottom line? We are on the coming Saturday, March 26 sailing. Will this one be cancelled as well?

Well, still only speculation.  Dock #3 in Freeport, the only one that could handle Escape, currently has Serenade of the Seas in it.  Serenade is due for a cruise out of Miami tomorrow, but if she is still there and the dock is dry (can't tell), then they will be delayed.  Appears to be one or two tankers also around that may be scheduled for dock #3.  I really don't think Escape is going to drydock, it may go to Grand Bahamas Shipyard for repairs, but I would expect it would be back in service by the 26th.

7 minutes ago, roboref said:

Realizing there are rumors running rampant. What is the bottom line? We are on the coming Saturday, March 26 sailing. Will this one be cancelled as well?

The answer is "no, it is not cancelled" until it is cancelled. 

A few posts back, the Chief pulled the safety certification for the ship which identified some damage. The extent of damage and the ability of the ship to operate with that damage was not disclosed. If "parts" are required or dry dock space is not available, you may be fine... but the cruise after you,,, not so much. 

5 hours ago, www3traveler said:

She is due to arrive about 3P.M.  Probably has to wait until today's sailings leave to be able to dock.

Yep, due in at 2:55. Those sailing today leave after she arrives. 4:00: Magic, 4:30: Harmony, 6:00: Meraviglia. 

On 3/18/2022 at 11:18 AM, Eubie247 said:

Would not be surprised if the cruise industry changes protocol on passports (and they should).  

The cruise industry will not change their stance on passports; it really isn’t their policy, this is governed by the WHTI.

US state department statistics show only 40% of Americans have a passport, the cruise industry isn’t going to exclude a market that large. 

16 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The cruise industry will not change their stance on passports; it really isn’t their policy, this is governed by the WHTI.

US state department statistics show only 40% of Americans have a passport, the cruise industry isn’t going to exclude a market that large. 

It really is cruise line policy. Luxury and premium lines typically require all passengers to have a passport even if they are not legally required to.

However your second paragraph holds the true answer.  The mass market cruise  lines do not want to exclude the majority of the US population from cruising.

26 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The mass market cruise  lines do not want to exclude the majority of the US population from cruising

Ding, ding, ding.  It was CLIA that lobbied for the BC/DL allowance for cruises in the WHTI.

• Like 1

been watching the arrival into cana. now turning around to dock where "parking" available. 

really really tight fit does not look possible to dock in front of ccl magic

miracle steering being done

we loved the escape so sorry about the damage and everyone's canceled cruises.

Edited by vettprincess
more info

On 3/18/2022 at 10:30 AM, Eubie247 said:

Full refund plus 100% credit of what you paid for a future cruise!! 

Thats fantastic.  On celebrity when the hit an iceberg and ripped a 16’ gash in the ship,  they gave us zero refund and half off a future cruise.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Dumb question, why couldn’t they sail back with passengers onboard? It seemed like quite the cluster F to fly everyone back to Florida.

Perhaps the safety certificate they were issued after the damage inspection stated they could sail, but restricted them from carrying passengers.  Otherwise it does seem silly to offload all the passengers when they were sailing back to Florida anyway.

I'm sure there are all kinds of Maritime laws and regulations that we are not aware of.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

Dumb question, why couldn’t they sail back with passengers onboard? It seemed like quite the cluster F to fly everyone back to Florida.

As I stated before, the survey wasn't completed until Friday, and the pax were supposed to be back on Saturday.  Perhaps the potential change fees for all the pax airfares would have exceeded the cost of the charters, especially if the survey caused a longer delay.  I don't believe that they were restricted from carrying pax.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ivanp91 said:

As someone that works in the industry, I wish it was as simple as the captain being able to authorise more people to board. Unfortunately, there's a whole slew of stuff behind the scenes that they aren't able to override.

yes it is called red tape or things that would make lawyers go bonkers.

Captain has rules and managers above him at headquarters.

To me I think they could have brought the passengers back safely.  I mean they have to be safe for the crew too.  oh well.

5 minutes ago, Battleship88 said:

chengkp75 do we have any updates on these repairs??

No one outside of NCL will know.  But, Serenade is still in the drydock, and Escape has not left Canaveral, so I suspect the repairs are underway there.  How long this will take?  Without knowing the extent of the damage to start with, can't say how long it will take.  Since they haven't cancelled the next cruise, I suspect they will be done on time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

41 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

No one outside of NCL will know.  But, Serenade is still in the drydock, and Escape has not left Canaveral, so I suspect the repairs are underway there.  How long this will take?  Without knowing the extent of the damage to start with, can't say how long it will take.  Since they haven't cancelled the next cruise, I suspect they will be done on time.

Do we need to fly you in to provide proper motivation?  

JK folks 🙂

Cheers

• Haha 3