Escape damaged, cruise cancelled, passengers being flown home

Javajitterz

5 hours ago, Broadwaybb said:

I know it’s all speculation at this point anyway, but if the ship can’t sail to Rome, do all of those itineraries just get canceled? Would there be the possibility of another ship instead? I’m on a June trip, and I’m looking into other options, but all of the other voyages are shorter. It would be fine, but I’m just curious if anyone thinks Norwegian would find a way to still have 10 day Mediterranean cruises these next few months if the Escape goes into dry dock. 

Even if the Escape did go into drydock for repairs, it won't take the entire summer, most likely 10 days or less, and then back into service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually, I think i'd be a little afraid to get on it for the first couple of sailings ..after all, these repairs to damaged/breached hull were only patched in the DR and then whatever repairs they did were conducted at the dock in PC.   I think I'd feel better if they'd drydocked it.    At the very least, I'd wanna a few trips go uneventfully on it before getting on! 😳

4 minutes ago, F27TW said:

Actually, I think i'd be a little afraid to get on it for the first couple of sailings ..after all, these repairs to damaged/breached hull were only patched in the DR and then whatever repairs they did were conducted at the dock in PC.   I think I'd feel better if they'd drydocked it.    At the very least, I'd wanna a few trips go uneventfully on it before getting on! 😳

Do you really think they would take on the liability of sailing with passengers if the ship wasn’t 100% safe? Since Norwegian hasn’t actually detailed the damage, we really have no idea what happened. It’s completely possible that the majority of the repair was on the interior of the ship - why would that need a dry dock? 

I’m on the 4/16, which seems like it might be a go (has not been cancelled as of now, and is still bookable). I have no hesitation about getting on the ship!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, F27TW said:

This is not like putting "flex seal" on it.  If the surveyor, and in this case the USCG, were not satisfied that the repair was sufficient to bring the ship back to 100% of hull integrity and strength, then they would not have certified the ship to sail.  Without knowing exactly what the damage was, there is no way of knowing if a drydocking would provide a "better" repair.  I've been on ships where the "patch" is left in place until the next scheduled drydock, which could be 5 years down the road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm on the transatlantic on the 25th, and I have zero reservations about getting on this boat to traverse the Atlantic, if it's deemed safe. 

If anything, given that they've cancelled four cruises to get it right, I don't think they're rushing it back into service.  

• Like 4

I’m on the 16th sailing as well. I’m feeling weirdly optimistic about it. I feel like if we don’t get a cancellation by the end of today it’s likely it’s going on as planned. Surely they wouldn’t cancel it with o Lu three days to spare? Or may the would. Lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Elsammo46 said:

I’m on the 16th sailing as well. I’m feeling weirdly optimistic about it. I feel like if we don’t get a cancellation by the end of today it’s likely it’s going on as planned. Surely they wouldn’t cancel it with o Lu three days to spare? Or may the would. Lol.

Eagerly awaiting this news as well! 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

What time is sail away supposed to be? I might drop by Rusty's and watch her leave port this weekend (fingers crossed).

Tom

Think we’re scheduled to depart at 5:30 est. Hopefully it happens! 

59 minutes ago, Elsammo46 said:

Think we’re scheduled to depart at 5:30 est. Hopefully it happens! 

Thanks

Not sure why, but it seems that departure times from homeports for some ships/lines have been later than they were pre-Covid. Perhaps it's just selective memory on my part, and I realize that they can't all leave at the same time, but I want to say most Florida departures were in the 4:00-4:30 range 2+ years ago. 🙂 

Tom

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Thanks

Not sure why, but it seems that departure times from homeports for some ships/lines have been later than they were pre-Covid. Perhaps it's just selective memory on my part, and I realize that they can't all leave at the same time, but I want to say most Florida departures were in the 4:00-4:30 range 2+ years ago. 🙂 

Tom

Covid testing requirements have likely pushed back some of the departure times, especially when people needed to get tested at the port before boarding. Not sure that is the ONLY reason for the change, but it could be a factor.

1 minute ago, Pitzel said:

Covid testing requirements have likely pushed back some of the departure times, especially when people needed to get tested at the port before boarding. Not sure that is the ONLY reason for the change, but it could be a factor.

That is likely a big factor - good point.

Tom

I was supposed to be on the Apr 2 sailing and transferred to the Encore instead. While onboard my husband talked to an NCL employee who told him that the problem is a damaged azipod (I think that's the word?). Not sure if that is common knowledge or not. He (the employee) didn't know the timeline for getting it fixed.

Has anyone gotten their FCC yet? It was supposed to be available yesterday 4/11, but I don't see it in my acct yet.

Edited by Maryscooking
Clarification
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maryscooking said:

I was supposed to be on the Apr 2 sailing and transferred to the Encore instead. While onboard my husband talked to an NCL employee who told him that the problem is a damaged azipod (I think that's the word?). Not sure if that is common knowledge or not. He (the employee) didn't know the timeline for getting it fixed.

Has anyone gotten their FCC yet? It was supposed to be available yesterday 4/11, but I don't see it in my acct yet.

I am wondering if the bonus FCC will be the invisible kind that only shows on the PCC or TA side of the system.  I had a covid cancellation of the Feb 4 2022 Bliss Cruise and that was returned as FCC and it was not visible on my end.  I had to get a PCC to post it.

Bonus FCC is generally applied as a discount to the base fare, not as a payment.  

1 hour ago, Maryscooking said:

While onboard my husband talked to an NCL employee who told him that the problem is a damaged azipod (I think that's the word?)

The azipods are the main propulsion for the ship, and are located at the aft end of the ship.  From what little we know, it seemed much of the visible activity was focused more toward the bow.

4 hours ago, Maryscooking said:

The Escape cruised back to Port Canaveral at 17+ knots. The propulsion appeared to be working o.k. 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The Escape cruised back to Port Canaveral at 17+ knots. The propulsion appeared to be working o.k. 

I have no idea. I'm sure all kinds of suppositions can be made based on appearances. Perhaps the damage wasn't apparent until examined more closely, or perhaps the cruise back caused the issue? Who *really* knows? No one on this forum that's talking at least. Maybe the person my husband spoke with has insider knowledge, maybe not. There's no real way to judge. They said a few other things I won't share for fear of "outing" them if the comments were accurate.

6 hours ago, RVACruiser43 said:

I am wondering if the bonus FCC will be the invisible kind that only shows on the PCC or TA side of the system.  I had a covid cancellation of the Feb 4 2022 Bliss Cruise and that was returned as FCC and it was not visible on my end.  I had to get a PCC to post it.

Bonus FCC is generally applied as a discount to the base fare, not as a payment.  

Ugh that would be unfortunate for the simple reason that I have already spent waaaay too many hours on the phone with customer service reps related to this cancelation and dread the thought of more phone time. It would be so nice just to be able to apply it online.

And I'm not sure what discounting the base fare means vs being a payment? What is the difference? If the new cruise is X price, and my FCC is Y price, at the end of the day, isn't my out of pocket X minus Y, whether you call Y a payment or a discount?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maryscooking said:

Ugh that would be unfortunate for the simple reason that I have already spent waaaay too many hours on the phone with customer service reps related to this cancelation and dread the thought of more phone time. It would be so nice just to be able to apply it online.

And I'm not sure what discounting the base fare means vs being a payment? What is the difference? If the new cruise is X price, and my FCC is Y price, at the end of the day, isn't my out of pocket X minus Y, whether you call Y a payment or a discount?

Yes its semantics.  Like the daily gratuities,  whether the amount is added separately or included in the base, ends up being the same bottom line cost.  Its just a revenue thing for NCL.  A discount reduces their revenue by lowering the base fare.  A payment probably means they would have to post an expense to balance the FCC as a deposit.  

5 hours ago, Maryscooking said:

Unless they have changed things, fcc for cancelled or altered trips you had to call or if booked via TA, call TA.  We have been through an altered trip and got fcc.  You would think fcc was based on amount paid excluding port fees or taxes.  No, NCL will not base it on X or Y, it will be Z a number you never see which is the base fare in their system and it will be the lowest of all numbers.

13 hours ago, Maryscooking said:

I was supposed to be on the Apr 2 sailing and transferred to the Encore instead. While onboard my husband talked to an NCL employee who told him that the problem is a damaged azipod (I think that's the word?). Not sure if that is common knowledge or not. He (the employee) didn't know the timeline for getting it fixed

I won't dispute what your husband was told, just that in my experience, the vast majority of crew on a ship don't have the foggiest about how it works, or what is going on, even in crisis, and those at corporate, unless they are in the technical departments, know even less.  I find it hard to believe that an azipod was damaged, for a couple of reasons.  One, as noted, she made 17 knots, average, after the incident, indicating that both azipods were working, and two, that the azipods do not extend out past the side of the ship, so striking the side of a coral channel would not affect the pod.  Another NCL ship had a similar experience in one of the Florida ports a few years back, running out of the channel to avoid something, and there was no damage to the pods.

As the temporary hull certificate was issued in the DR before the ship sailed back to the US, I don't think the pod "failed" during the voyage, all damage was determined before the ship left the DR.  If true, the damage would have been to the propeller blades, and the ships carry, or the company stores, a spare set of blades, and this job can be done in less than a week, while in the water.

I would place my bet on a damaged fin stabilizer, which would not affect safety, but while some ships have operated for quite a while with one out of operation, would have affected passenger comfort, so they may have wanted to fix it before the crossing, and there was a part shortage.  This would be in addition to some hull bending, and possible, though not confirmed breaching of the hull.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

I won't dispute what your husband was told, just that in my experience, the vast majority of crew on a ship don't have the foggiest about how it works, or what is going on, even in crisis, and those at corporate, unless they are in the technical departments, know even less.  I find it hard to believe that an azipod was damaged, for a couple of reasons.  One, as noted, she made 17 knots, average, after the incident, indicating that both azipods were working, and two, that the azipods do not extend out past the side of the ship, so striking the side of a coral channel would not affect the pod.  Another NCL ship had a similar experience in one of the Florida ports a few years back, running out of the channel to avoid something, and there was no damage to the pods.

As the temporary hull certificate was issued in the DR before the ship sailed back to the US, I don't think the pod "failed" during the voyage, all damage was determined before the ship left the DR.  If true, the damage would have been to the propeller blades, and the ships carry, or the company stores, a spare set of blades, and this job can be done in less than a week, while in the water.

I would place my bet on a damaged fin stabilizer, which would not affect safety, but while some ships have operated for quite a while with one out of operation, would have affected passenger comfort, so they may have wanted to fix it before the crossing, and there was a part shortage.  This would be in addition to some hull bending, and possible, though not confirmed breaching of the hull.

Thank You   As always, your explantations make sense to a non-technical person like me.  In my experiences (37 cruises and counting), crew members are rarely a good source of information.  Since as of a few minutes ago, I have not seen an cancellation notice so I am assuming that the cruise of April 16 will take place.

Maybe, Just maybe, NCL has figured out they can fill one ship by cancelling another? Encore was chock full last week. Just like the good old days. Fuel costs are , what, 60% of the cruise? Hmmm,,, Since we are all guessing, why not? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, RVACruiser43 said:

Yes its semantics.  Like the daily gratuities,  whether the amount is added separately or included in the base, ends up being the same bottom line cost.  Its just a revenue thing for NCL.  A discount reduces their revenue by lowering the base fare.  A payment probably means they would have to post an expense to balance the FCC as a deposit.  

Gotcha!

10 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I'm 100% sure you know more than me lol! Considering people can pretend to be whoever they want when they are among strangers, especially when *slightly* intoxicated, who knows how credible this person was? I thought it was interesting info just because so much discussion has been about repairing the hull. And b/c the night before Apr 2 was canceled, people were on TV saying the cruise was moving forward.