Dress code strictness 2022

15 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

One of those men would be me, the only time in the last 20 or so years I have worn a shirt with a tie is for weddings or on a cruise. My employer removed the need to wear a suit or collar and tie in 1998, I own 1 suit, which has been worn about 5 times, plus a Dinner Suit which cost me £30 from George at ASDA in 2012, but is looking shabby after soup was spilt on it on our last cruise, I have zero intention of replacing it. 

And me. I worked in an enviroment where suited and booted used to be the norm, but in 1997 my company (following a consultation with staff in which it was supported by 80% of those involved) adopted a smart casual dress code. Other than a dinner suit, I have not owned a suit for 25 years and have no intention of doing so!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Denarius said:

And me. I worked in an enviroment where suited and booted used to be the norm, but in 1997 my company (following a consultation with staff in which it was supported by 80% of those involved) adopted a smart casual dress code. Other than a dinner suit, I have not owned a suit for 25 years and have no intention of doing so!

Whilst my company never specifically had a suit and tie dress code, when visiting customers,  you were expected to dress to a certain standard, which in the 80s and 90s meant a suit and tie.

However,  back in the day,  being the rebel that I am (!), I got rid  of  my suit and wore a jacket and tie, plus chinos,  when visiting my customers (JS, Tesco, Asda etc). And no one cared! 

But, I still dressed respectfully which is the main thing - to my mind, dining in the MDR in tatty jeans and t shirt is disrespectful.

So, as long as the individual  makes an effort,  that is all that matters.  

• Like 10

51 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Sorry another clothes question from my husband, is it ok to wear T-shirts with fairly big pictures/logos on? He’s got a Wimbledon (tennis) T shirt & a Hard Rock Cafe one that he’d like to take. 

Can't see there being any problem. P&O only object to tee shirts displaying risque pictures or slogans like those often produced for stag or hen parties nowadays.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Sorry another clothes question from my husband, is it ok to wear T-shirts with fairly big pictures/logos on? He’s got a Wimbledon (tennis) T shirt & a Hard Rock Cafe one that he’d like to take. 

No problem, I have lots of T's with motifs, that I wear through the day, all in the best possible taste of course. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

Can't see there being any problem. P&O only object to tee shirts displaying risque pictures or slogans like those often produced for stag or hen parties nowadays.

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

No problem, I have lots of T's with motifs, that I wear through the day, all in the best possible taste of course. 

Thank you both.

That's a relief because he sorted through his clothes today and has barely any plain T shirts.

Sounds a bit of a grey area, but if one night I didn't attend a formal dining room, just went to the buffet, I'd be fine wearing shorts and t shirt there, but probably wouldn't be able to then attend a show in the theatre?

On a 14 night cruise we'd probably attend MDRs about 10 times but nice sometimes to have that flexibility if it's been a long hot day. Nice to just get a cool shower, put something comfortable on. If the entertainment areas are out of bounds however then not much point in not getting dressed up for dinner - unless it was dinner in the buffet then straight back to cabin all night?

21 hours ago, Denarius said:

They might just object to my tshirt bought during the Lunacy: "Make Orwell fiction again" That's if they got it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Clodia said:

They might just object to my tshirt bought during the Lunacy: "Make Orwell fiction again" That's if they got it.

Depends how you interpret it, though, doesn’t it? It can mean whatever you want it to mean. You could have a whole room full of people, all agreeing with it but for very different reasons.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 6:54 PM, SarahHben said:

Thank you both.

That's a relief because he sorted through his clothes today and has barely any plain T shirts.

M&S are doing a good range at the mo.Cheap for them as well,I bought 3 for 18 quid T shirts last week.Polo shirts 15 quid.