Dress code strictness 2022

5 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Harry I would pay to see you in it.

Suits have come out of the “National shopping basket” just this week after 75 years. Replaced by sports wear apparently.

Well maybe keep the bow tie with the sports wear :classic_smile: May I suggest nipping down to

Chelsea football club , they are having a sale ...Everything Moscow :classic_wink::classic_unsure:

• Haha 8

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Suits have come out of the “National shopping basket” just this week after 75 years. Replaced by sports wear apparently.

My local M&S has ceased selling suits for men as sales had fallen drastically, so not surprising that ONS have removed them from the Pricing Index. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

My local M&S has ceased selling suits for men as sales had fallen drastically, so not surprising that ONS have removed them from the Pricing Index. 

DW was having a look in M&S in Byfleet. I had  a browse around the menswear to kill some time. If anyone is local, interested and quick, they had a men's dinner jacket on their sale rail. 42 med, £12. Only the jacket, so you would need to pop into Primark for some trousers.🤣

• Haha 3

Our last cruise with Royal Carrib was on Quantum Of The Seas out East in 2019,I took a suit but spent the whole cruise in smart casual which seemed the norm on board except for one afternoon where there was a 'meet the Captain' photo shoot,the bar was a curious mix of those in DJ's & Gowns mixed with those in t shirts & shorts!

On 3/18/2022 at 3:45 PM, Eglesbrech said:

That made me laugh, I have often looked and clothing onboard for smart casual nights that I would have been consigned to gardening years ago.

Saw some guys with shorts and tee shirts in the glasshouse and red bar on recent Ventura cruise  on black tie nights ,also smart casual to some is what I would do gardening ,dog walking or diy in, and some would have been in the bin long ago 

• Like 4

On 3/18/2022 at 11:25 PM, zap99 said:

DW was having a look in M&S in Byfleet. I had  a browse around the menswear to kill some time. If anyone is local, interested and quick, they had a men's dinner jacket on their sale rail. 42 med, £12. Only the jacket, so you would need to pop into Primark for some trousers.🤣

Yup got my DH a blue balzer from M&S in sale reduced from £79 to £18 and one of their Italian Collection jackets reduced from £130 to £28. Both super quality. Personally i cant understand women who let their men dress like Oswold (keeping Up Appearances) go figure. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Saw some guys with shorts and tee shirts in the glasshouse and red bar on recent Ventura cruise  on black tie nights ,also smart casual to some is what I would do gardening ,dog walking or diy in, and some would have been in the bin long ago 

Fortunately, we’re all different, but times are changing, P&O is changing and the clientele is changing. Quite a few people won’t like it, but formal’s probably on the way out because more don’t want it than do now. I doubt these boards reflect the generality of typical young cruise passengers particularly well, and that’s the market P&O want.

Decent restaurants, including Raymond Blanc’s Le Manoir, have long since given up formality, and even the Ritz is reasonably laid back. I think they’ve got it about right:

“The Ritz London has a dress code in different areas of the hotel as follows: Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket and tie (jeans and sportswear are not permitted for either ladies or gentlemen) for afternoon tea in The Palm Court or The Ritz Club and for lunch and dinner in The Ritz Restaurant and Terrace. In all other areas of the hotel (The Ritz Restaurant breakfast service, The Rivoli Bar, The Long Gallery and The Ritz Garden), smart casual attire is required. Please note that shorts, trainers and sportswear are not permitted in any of the hotel’s restaurants or bars.”

• Like 3

If,as many believe,P&O are aiming to persuade those who usually prefer land based all inclusive holidays to switch to their new bigger vessels they will have to change to a more relaxed dress code or they are not likely to succeed IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snaefell said:

If,as many believe,P&O are aiming to persuade those who usually prefer land based all inclusive holidays to switch to their new bigger vessels they will have to change to a more relaxed dress code or they are not likely to succeed IMO.

The dress code on the new bigger ships has been relaxed. There is only one 'formal' night per week and it is very easy to opt out of dressing formal if you so wish.

• Like 1

As mentioned on another thread P&O have updated the dress codes on the my.pocruises link

On our Iona Fjord cruise for 7 nights no black tie at the moment and 1 black tie on our 14 night Iona cruise.

Will check them nearer departure to make sure.

Edited by jaydee6969

1 hour ago, snaefell said:

Iona is more relaxed with only one formal night per week, and presumably Arvia will follow suit.  And both have 4 MDRs all offering only Freedom dining, so plenty of scope for them to be split between formal and casual, as demand dictates.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Britboys said:

The dress code on the new bigger ships has been relaxed. There is only one 'formal' night per week and it is very easy to opt out of dressing formal if you so wish.

Needs be relaxed across the whole fleet not on couple of selected ships. I no longer see the need for formal nights. If people wish to dress up its their choice no need to have specific nights anymore.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Needs be relaxed across the whole fleet not on couple of selected ships. I no longer see the need for formal nights. If people wish to dress up its their choice no need to have specific nights anymore.

Personally I think it's nice to have the opportunity to dress up occasionally. 

There are plenty of other eating locations for those that prefer not to partake. 

• Like 15

9 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Iona is more relaxed with only one formal night per week, and presumably Arvia will follow suit.  And both have 4 MDRs all offering only Freedom dining, so plenty of scope for them to be split between formal and casual, as demand dictates.

Just received a brochure about Iona & Arvia

It appears that Arvia will have two MDR's with the two smaller ones being repurposed. Aqua becomes the 6th Street Diner and  Opal becomes the Olive Grove.  Replacing the Olive Grove on the prom deck with Green & Co. Also the American diner part of the Quays will be called Roasts carvery.

The P&O site does not have a deck plan for deck 7

I like the idea of Green & Co, fish/plant based/sushi.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Just received a brochure about Iona & Arvia

It appears that Arvia will have two MDR's with the two smaller ones being repurposed. Aqua becomes the 6th Street Diner and  Opal becomes the Olive Grove.  Replacing the Olive Grove on the prom deck with Green & Co. Also the American diner part of the Quays will be called Roasts carvery.

The P&O site does not have a deck plan for deck 7

I like the idea of Green & Co, fish/plant based/sushi.

Thanks for this, I threw it in the bin before reading it. This is interesting news and would be better for the Olive Grove. I don’t like the idea of losing more MDR’s as when I go to eat in the evening I want a tablecloth on the table and don’t want to eat in a canteen. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Personally I think it's nice to have the opportunity to dress up occasionally. 

There are plenty of other eating locations for those that prefer not to partake. 

You can still dress up if you wish, it’s your choice,  I think smart casual is the only dress code needed, no need to segregate people from eating locations based on the way you are dressed. 

My son is looking to go on a cruise next year, he has already excluded Cunard & P&O, in his words they are for older people who yearn for the good old days, he is in his early 30s. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

You can still dress up if you wish, it’s your choice,  I think smart casual is the only dress code needed, no need to segregate people from eating locations based on the way you are dressed. 

My son is looking to go on a cruise next year, he has already excluded Cunard & P&O, in his words they are for older people who yearn for the good old days, he is in his early 30s. 

Although many younger people enjoy dressing up. A sample of one is not really representative.

And dressing up in a tuxedo with your wife in a glamourous dress does not really cut it, if those around you are dressed up as if eating out in Wetherspoons.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Spot on. My thoughts precisely. Cruise companies know where their future lies, and it’s not with the older generation.  Perfectly reasonable for people to want to dress up, but rather less than reasonable to inflict that desire on those who don’t want to.

These discussions have been going on for years, but the tide is now turning as the generation that liked dressing up is replaced by those that don’t.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Seems to me that the solution is still to have formal nights for those that enjoy them,  but not make them compulsory.  Everyone will then be happy. 

But as you said earlier, having casual and formal in the same dining room is not likely to be acceptable to either group.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But as you said earlier, having casual and formal in the same dining room is not likely to be acceptable to either group.

I meant that by not having a specific formal night no one would know which night to dress up. By having a formal night all those who wanted to dress up could do so then. 

I don't mind if formal nights are phased out, what will be unacceptable is non tailored shorts and t shirts in the MDR. The last time I went to a 4* hotel in Menorca three years ago, the standard of dress in the restaurant in the evening was appalling and we will stick to villas in the future.

• Like 4

I haven’t got strong opinions on this topic, and as I’ve said before, it’s perfectly possible to ‘dodge’ formal nights on P&O. We often do that, but we’re always smart casual, 

However, I think that some people think that formal + smart go together, but sorry, that’s just not always true. Not such an issue for the men, but some women look ridiculous squeezed into too small clothes and tottering uncomfortably in heels. The same is true in weddings, I find, just because of a dress code which does them no favours. I’ve seen women who looked great during the day on a cruise suddenly looking 10 years older in the evening. I know I would if I wore a dress! We don’t all look like the ever elegant Pauline! Smart casual allows the wearer to dress nicely but it’s also easier to find items which flatter the ageing figure. 

Really formal clothes need to be tailored properly to fit and flatter the wearer. 

• Like 2

I think it is good that formal is not quite so formal any more, and it is actually easier for women, who can wear things like smart/velvet/silky trousers with somewhat fancy tops.  I admit that the idea of a hooded sweatshirt does not sound right even for casual, to me as a rather aged person.  Polo shirts and chinos, certainly.  Am I being over fussy?  And  most men will sling a jacket on now and again if necessary.

• Like 3