Australian Passports

Great news about resumption of cruising/overseas travel.  I'm sure many of us welcome a reduced Passport Renewal Fee taking into consideration that we have been unable to use them for 2 years.  Or perhaps ext5ending their current validity by 2 years. 

18 minutes ago, Melbourne13 said:

Great news about resumption of cruising/overseas travel.  I'm sure many of us welcome a reduced Passport Renewal Fee taking into consideration that we have been unable to use them for 2 years.  Or perhaps ext5ending their current validity by 2 years. 

You would be so lucky!!😂😂

20 minutes ago, Melbourne13 said:

The reduced fee for renewal option would be the easiest to do as the expiry date is printed on the passport. However I can't see it happening. 

14 hours ago, Melbourne13 said:

Do you believe in Fairies, lol.

• Haha 1

How long does it take to apply for or renew my passport? 

It normally takes about three weeks to receive a passport, no matter where you apply but this is expected to change as borders re-open. You can find more information at passports.gov.au 

Can the expiry date on my current passport be extended due to Australian international travel restrictions? 

It’s not possible to extend the validity of current passports. The expiry date is written onto each passport’s electronic chip. Changing the chip makes the passport unusable. 

Can I receive a discount on passport renewal/application costs due to Australian international travel restrictions? 

The Australian Passport Office is unable to offer a discount, as fees cover the required processing, administrative, and staffing efforts. 

Cheers

CRUISING ALONG

13 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

I like your thinking.  It is currently  $308.00 for an adult 10 year passport.  Applied 2 weeks ago, still waiting for it to be processed.

For those aged 75 years and over a 5 year passport is available at $155.

13 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

For those aged 75 years and over a 5 year passport is available at $155.

But then you will find it difficult to get travel insurance so what use a passport?

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

But then you will find it difficult to get travel insurance so what use a passport?

Agree getting travel insurance for over 75s is difficult.  Governments used to have travel departments such as the State Government Insurance Office in Queensland.  With many private travel insurance companies being risk adverse, Governments may have to return to offering insurance for travel, as well as house and contents insurance, etc.

Services Australia lists 11 countries which have reciprocal health agreements with Australia. 

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Agree getting travel insurance for over 75s is difficult.  Governments used to have travel departments such as the State Government Insurance Office in Queensland.  With many private travel insurance companies being risk adverse, Governments may have to return to offering insurance for travel, as well as house and contents insurance, etc.

Services Australia lists 11 countries which have reciprocal health agreements with Australia. 

Reciprocal health agreements are fine I know about them, but cancellation pre trip and health treatment getting there, whether by ship or aircraft including stopovers which I do,  is another problem, therefore one needs the best possible coverage. I have gone with NRMA/Covermore last 3 overseas trips because Allianz the insurer for ANZ Platinum Card refused me cover, full stop.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Not sure what it will be like now but in pre covid times a 14 nighter with one over 75 was just under $500.00 per couple, jumped up from around $300.00 pre 75. This with InsureAndGo.

And if you are going to USA double the premium.

15 minutes ago, NSWP said:

And if you are going to USA double the premium.

I have told my friends in the USA that I won't be visiting anymore.  I used to be nervous when I had insurance and was always relieved when we drove in to Canada.  

• Like 1

My childs new passport (uncomplicated run of the mill application) took 12 WEEKS from Application done at the Post Office to be in my hands. Just something to consider when applying. I applied on the 15th November 2021 and it arrived by Registered Post on the 7th February 2022. Sooooooo long. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CDaze71 said:

My childs new passport (uncomplicated run of the mill application) took 12 WEEKS from Application done at the Post Office to be in my hands. Just something to consider when applying. I applied on the 15th November 2021 and it arrived by Registered Post on the 7th February 2022. Sooooooo long. 

Did you ask why it look so long?  Can you apply at Passport Offices instead of Post Offices?

3 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Did you ask why it look so long?  Can you apply at Passport Offices instead of Post Offices?

I did phone up, and it took AGES to get through to them. I kept getting hung up on and waited online for ages. When I did eventually get through they said they have the application here, and it's still being processed. I just wanted to make sure they had received it. Yes you probably can apply at the Passport Office.