Excursions Sold Out

Donna Claire

Your question is a bit unclear. Is your concern that you may not be able to take any excursions? Or are you referring to the included excursions. It would help people to know what cruise you booked, as there may be options other than ship tours to suggest.

Secondly, you mention "use my voucher and cancel" - did you mean cancel your trip and take a voucher good for 2 years, or are you planning to apply a current voucher the the booked cruises (which assumes you have a "hold" booking at present?

1 hour ago, Donna Claire said:

I just booked an ocean trip for the end of April. The excursions are mostly sold out. I can use my voucher and cancel the trip good for 2 years or go ahead and risk it. What do experienced people think?

Where are you going?  Can you book private or small group excursions on your own?  

If not, check with guest services once you are on board and inquire whether there are additional slots or cancellations.  

I am sorry I was unclear. I recently booked the British Isles cruise to find out most of the excursions are sold out. I can still cancel and re-book in 24 months or take a chance excursions will open up. I just wasn't sure if it was worth the risk.

Experienced Viking cruisers have posted that the included excursions often will be adjusted to accommodate additional requests when possible - email tellus@vikingcruises.com and ask if that may be the case on your cruise.

Even when optional excursions are sold out, there are often cancellations. You can speak to Guest Services when you board, and keep checking for any possible vacancies. Some people have even found their way onto a tour by waiting near the buses in case people don't show.

Finally, I believe that the UK allows independent exploration (no Viking "bubble"), so you could make any number of personal tour bookings on your own if you are comfortable with that. (As an example, we booked the Britannia yacht tour ourselves a few years ago and used public transport to explore Edinburgh as well). Your cruise Roll Call may well have people offering the option to join tours they have booked privately.

All of those options are subject to your personal level of risk tolerance and willingness to deal with a certain level of uncertainty. Only you can assess whether the ambiguity will enhance or detract from your trip.

Best of luck, whatever you choose! 🍺🥌

• Like 2

Hi Donna Claire. There will be other opinions here, but I would never cancel a cruise because the Viking shore excursions are sold out. There are so many options: book your own private shore excursions, take the included shore excursions and then explore on your own. If there is a particular Viking excursion you’re interested in that is sold out, it might well open up. Keep checking. We are sailing in Norway in May. We booked 2 shore excursions and then cancelled them a few days later because we found a private excursion that was a better suit. 

10 hours ago, Donna Claire said:

Thank you everyone for your most kind and helpful comments. I must say that a river cruise is so much different. Hopefully, we will be able to eat dinner too!

Eat dinner?  There are so many excellent choices you will be amazed!  For Manfredis and Chefs Table where reservations are required, go to either Guest Services on your arrival day to reserve.  You will always get something.  Often there is a desk at the entrance to the World Cafe where you can make reservations.  Be sure to download Viking Voyager as you can make reservations there also.  Just do it the first day to get the best choice.  For The Restaurant or the World Cafe go any time between 6 and 9 pm.  At The Restaurant you will be seated.  At the World Cafe you seat yourself.

13 hours ago, Donna Claire said:

I am sorry I was unclear. I recently booked the British Isles cruise to find out most of the excursions are sold out. I can still cancel and re-book in 24 months or take a chance excursions will open up. I just wasn't sure if it was worth the risk.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and Viking forum. Be sure to  sign in on your roll call . There you will find others who are on your cruise and maybe join other private excursions , if some have been organized.

You find your roll call on link  at top of Viking forum page.  Look for your ship and  cruise date, post your inquiry there.  Enjoy.

14 hours ago, Donna Claire said:

Thank you everyone for your most kind and helpful comments. I must say that a river cruise is so much different. Hopefully, we will be able to eat dinner too!

There are lots of places to have dinner.  Despite the repeated ‘problems’ of not being able to secure a dining reservations, both before and during Covid trips we NEVER got on the ship with a dining reservation, and we always ate where we wanted, pretty much when we wanted.  Hell, I don’t know what I want for dinner tonight, let alone 2 months from now!  We have always checked out the menus of the day and made reservations where we wanted to eat that evening.  It really isn’t a problem.

• Like 1