Beer - There’s always a river nearby

CPT Trips

• 3 months later...

I cannot believe we missed International Beer Day! Here is some info on German beer: https://www.dw.com/en/its-international-beer-day/g-19195372

For me, the quintessential beer river cruise river is the Main, although it is full of vineyards, but others would say it is the Danube. Well, anyway, recently I have had the opportunity to try Bamberg Rauchbier. It is smoked and tastes - smoked! I do not know how they do it but is like smoked bacon without the bacon, or smoked trout without the trout. It is interesting but I do not need to have it again.

I will stick to my standard brands of the Rhine, Main and Isar.

notamermaid

4 hours ago, notamermaid said:

.... Well, anyway, recently I have had the opportunity to try Bamberg Rauchbier. It is smoked and tastes - smoked! I do not know how they do it but is like smoked bacon without the bacon, or smoked trout without the trout. It is interesting but I do not need to have it again....

We sampled it during a stop in Bamberg on our Scenic cruise. It took a few sips to get used to the smoky taste, but we decided we quite liked it. 🍺

Paul

On 8/11/2022 at 11:23 AM, notamermaid said:

I cannot believe we missed International Beer Day! Here is some info on German beer: https://www.dw.com/en/its-international-beer-day/g-19195372

For me, the quintessential beer river cruise river is the Main, although it is full of vineyards, but others would say it is the Danube. Well, anyway, recently I have had the opportunity to try Bamberg Rauchbier. It is smoked and tastes - smoked! I do not know how they do it but is like smoked bacon without the bacon, or smoked trout without the trout. It is interesting but I do not need to have it again.

I will stick to my standard brands of the Rhine, Main and Isar.

notamermaid

@notamermaid Es tut mir lied . . . the quintessential beer river is the Scheldt. 

Now now now have you tried the green beer on St Patrick’s day or my DH goes on about the wheat beer. He is a bit of a beer aficionado he and his canal boat buddies are on the hunt for the strongest craft beer they can find in our area at the moment which if I’m not watchful could extend to Germany!

Edited by Canal archive

• 4 months later...
On 8/13/2022 at 3:19 AM, CPT Trips said:

@notamermaid Es tut mir lied . . . the quintessential beer river is the Scheldt. 

On 8/13/2022 at 11:21 AM, notamermaid said:

Fully accepted. 🙂 That river is sailed and, my, is the area full of beer!

notamermaid

Viva Cruises as part of their winter cruises programme visits the Scheldt. This is the itinerary, the first one starting on 23 January: https://www.viva-*****/en-us/cruisedetail?id=392&adults=2

It is a little short but from Düsseldorf you can always make your way to Cologne for a pub crawl as a pre- or post-cruise experience, i.e. adding another day or two.

notamermaid