Alaska on Encore

We decided to cancel Jewel from Vancouver to Seward and booked the Encore r/t from Seattle, for our first Alaska trip. We booked a starboard side cabin. Just looking for opinions on this cruise, and if anyone has regretted doing the r/t from Seattle instead of a one way. Thank you! 

We have done both a Vancouver to Seward (and back - we were lucky enough to get back to back cruises) on the Sun, and last year on the Encore from Seattle, back to Seattle. The Encore is a beautiful ship - you cannot go wrong on that ship. It is just stunning, but HUGE. We loved the Sun, a much smaller ship, and loved Vancouver and that we went all the way to Seward, which was a fun port. I think most people who sail Alaska say if you are only going once, go for the ports. So I would say make sure you're going to the ports you want to go to, and that you will like a huge ship. Whatever you do, enjoy!!

1 minute ago, cuterlmt said:

We have done both a Vancouver to Seward (and back - we were lucky enough to get back to back cruises) on the Sun, and last year on the Encore from Seattle, back to Seattle. The Encore is a beautiful ship - you cannot go wrong on that ship. It is just stunning, but HUGE. We loved the Sun, a much smaller ship, and loved Vancouver and that we went all the way to Seward, which was a fun port. I think most people who sail Alaska say if you are only going once, go for the ports. So I would say make sure you're going to the ports you want to go to, and that you will like a huge ship. Whatever you do, enjoy!!

We were SO close to booking the 11-day on the Sun, but, I opted for this ship instead. I'm one of those weird people that a week of vacation is enough for me, and I get bored easily. If we love it, we will be back!!! Juneau and Haines (via Skagway) are my priorities. I gave up Seward for this cruise, but do hope to get there next time!

10 hours ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

We decided to cancel Jewel from Vancouver to Seward and booked the Encore r/t from Seattle, for our first Alaska trip. We booked a starboard side cabin. Just looking for opinions on this cruise, and if anyone has regretted doing the r/t from Seattle instead of a one way. Thank you! 

We prefer the r/t Seattle because we can get on a big, new ship. 

Links to recent r/t cruises

• Like 1

We did the seven day roundtrip from Seattle on the Encore last summer and enjoyed it very much. There is really no wrong way to do an Alaskan cruise - we have done them from San Francisco, Seattle and Vancouver - 7 days to 14 days. They have all been wonderful and any time in Alaska is worthwhile.

We really like the Encore - its' a great ship. So much to do onboard you can't possibly get to it all. My adult kids really enjoyed having the level of activities onboard and the entertainment was really good. You will have a great time!

We did an Alaska cruise round trip from Seattle and also have been on the Encore (but not to  Alaska). I loved going out of Seattle as it was so convenient. We stayed across the street at the Marriott Waterfront and just walked across the street to check in. The Encore is a big ship but it is beautiful. The person who said pick the route that goes to the ports you want is smart. We picked one that went to Glacier Bay. Don't know if Encore is doing that or not.

18 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We prefer the r/t Seattle because we can get on a big, new ship. 

Links to recent r/t cruises

I'm reading thru your reviews now, thank you! I don't always book the Haven, but on ships that have a true Haven, like this one, I enjoy being there. The balconies are so small now. I currently have a mini booked with a large balcony. Would you give that up for the Haven? The balcony is important to us, and the small size is a deterrent. I understand the Haven area on Encore has it's own viewing area? We were on Encore before, non-Haven, and the observation lounge did get quite crowded. Is the same true of the Haven's observation area? Thank you! 

My wife and I are doing the Haven on Encore rt from Seattle in October for our 10th Anniversary.  First time sailing out of anywhere but Miami.  Don't know what to expect but I'm excited about it. 

11 hours ago, Lupush said:

My wife and I are doing the Haven on Encore rt from Seattle in October for our 10th Anniversary.  First time sailing out of anywhere but Miami.  Don't know what to expect but I'm excited about it. 

Bring a jacket. The week we went in October,  it rained at every port. The cruise before us had no rain, so just to be prepared for the unexpected. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

Bring a jacket. The week we went in October,  it rained at every port. The cruise before us had no rain, so just to be prepared for the unexpected. 

Thanks for the tip!

On 3/21/2022 at 8:24 AM, CruisingSince1982 said:

Anyone regretted doing the r/t from Seattle instead of a one way?

No regrets at all. You'll have a blast.  Seattle is fun.

Do make sure you do the White Pass train excursion into the Yukon territory.  That was a highlight of many, many highlights of the trip. 

On 3/22/2022 at 1:31 PM, CruisingSince1982 said:

I'm reading thru your reviews now, thank you! I don't always book the Haven, but on ships that have a true Haven, like this one, I enjoy being there. The balconies are so small now. I currently have a mini booked with a large balcony. Would you give that up for the Haven? The balcony is important to us, and the small size is a deterrent. I understand the Haven area on Encore has it's own viewing area? We were on Encore before, non-Haven, and the observation lounge did get quite crowded. Is the same true of the Haven's observation area? Thank you! 

The Haven is wicked expensive for Alaska. We'll sail in the Haven in the Caribbean and even the Med, but usually book a mini suite in Alaska.