Apex 3/12 - 3/19 Western Caribbean Review

JLS07

We took the Apex 3/12 - 3/19 cruise last week.  I wanted a couple days to review the ship/trip, so here we go:

Overall we had an amazing time (of course).  We were concierge class (first time and probably last), so all food reviews are "free" foods.  I am going to just do a list of good and bad and then try to answer any specific questions later.

Ship - the good parts:

The ship is stunning.  Absolutely beautiful.  The art and decorations were amazing.  I could have walked the ship for two more days.  Just amazing looking.

The food from beginning to end was the best I have ever had on a cruise, by far.  Again, we were concierge so that may change when we get to suite level, but for now this was the best and it isn't even close.  I would say that the 3 "extra" dinners available at every MDR are better than most of the normal foods (other than formal night).  The halibut and Filet from Normandie, the steak from cosmo, Lamb from Cyprus were just wonderful.  The appetizers too.  I would stick with the mains from the dinning rooms verse the basic celebrity menus.  And yes you can order anything in any restaurant, so don't worry were your seating.

The service was also top notch.  We really felt like they cared and wanted us there.

Magic Carpet - WHEN ON DECK 5.  We loved it there.  It is normally there around 5ish, we would go and have a drink right over the water.  Loved it as a start to our "nights".

The controls in the room and the ability to control lights and temperature from the app.

Ship - what I didn't like:

Infinite Veranda.  I liked it more at the end of the cruise than the first night, but still didn't sit well.  I simply missed going outside and having the air blowing by and feeling outside.  I think part of the problem, for me, is that when I sit in the chair and looked out the top of the bottom window was directly in my line of sight.  I basically couple see out the open area well.

Lack of specific alcohols.  Frustrating.  Certain bars had certain ones and others didn't and couldn't get it - specifically bourbons.  Craft Social had Woodford Double oak, no one else.  Magic Carpet had Woodford Rye, no one else.  Club had Jack single barrel whiskey and rye, no one else.  See what I mean?  And zero Ron Z 23 on the entire ship even though many drinks have that as the rum in the menu.  Just had to plan the night around what I wanted to drink, or stop by and get it on my way somewhere else.

The number of people - we felt great at about 2,000 people BUT had another 700-1,000 been on the ship it would have been crowded.  It was good, but adding 30% to 50% more would have really felt cramped.

The crowd.  I don't know how to say this without just saying it.  It didn't feel as "Celebrity" like as before.  For example, one night a lady was so drunk she fell against the wall multiple times, had to go into a store and grab some pole in the middle of the store to lean on.  Multiple people that just didn't feel like they normally take celebrity.  Another cruiser and I (he goes on about 10 - 20 cruises a year) talked about it one night and we agreed that 80%-90% of the crowd was great, but 10% really felt like they got on the wrong boat.

Magic Carpet on 15/16.  Didn't dislike it, just felt like an extension of the pool.  You were too far up to feel the water and close to the pool and had their bands playing.  So it wasn't as peaceful as on 5.  

Concierge class is absolutely not worth it.  We booked because for whatever reason it was cheaper than normal veranda.  I would consider as a upcharge for a better room location, but I wouldn't do it for the actual concierge class. 

Room was floor 12.  Too close to pool.  Wasn't too loud, but I did hear it some - especially during the day on sea days.  I would definitely look for level 11 instead next time.

It looks like more negative than positive, but that really wasn't the case.  It is an amazing ship and I would love to sail her again (booked another cruise on the ship).  The lack of items hopefully gets better, I can pick a better room location, etc.  The food and service were both literally the best we have ever had.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, JLS07 said:

We took the Apex 3/12 - 3/19 cruise last week.  I wanted a couple days to review the ship/trip, so here we go:

Overall we had an amazing time (of course).  We were concierge class (first time and probably last), so all food reviews are "free" foods.  I am going to just do a list of good and bad and then try to answer any specific questions later.

Ship - the good parts:

The ship is stunning.  Absolutely beautiful.  The art and decorations were amazing.  I could have walked the ship for two more days.  Just amazing looking.

The food from beginning to end was the best I have ever had on a cruise, by far.  Again, we were concierge so that may change when we get to suite level, but for now this was the best and it isn't even close.  I would say that the 3 "extra" dinners available at every MDR are better than most of the normal foods (other than formal night).  The halibut and Filet from Normandie, the steak from cosmo, Lamb from Cyprus were just wonderful.  The appetizers too.  I would stick with the mains from the dinning rooms verse the basic celebrity menus.  And yes you can order anything in any restaurant, so don't worry were your seating.

The service was also top notch.  We really felt like they cared and wanted us there.

Magic Carpet - WHEN ON DECK 5.  We loved it there.  It is normally there around 5ish, we would go and have a drink right over the water.  Loved it as a start to our "nights".

The controls in the room and the ability to control lights and temperature from the app.

Infinite Veranda.  I liked it more at the end of the cruise than the first night, but still didn't sit well.  I simply missed going outside and having the air blowing by and feeling outside.  I think part of the problem, for me, is that when I sit in the chair and looked out the top of the bottom window was directly in my line of sight.  I basically couple see out the open area well.

Lack of specific alcohols.  Frustrating.  Certain bars had certain ones and others didn't and couldn't get it - specifically bourbons.  Craft Social had Woodford Double oak, no one else.  Magic Carpet had Woodford Rye, no one else.  Club had Jack single barrel whiskey and rye, no one else.  See what I mean?  And zero Ron Z 23 on the entire ship even though many drinks have that as the rum in the menu.  Just had to plan the night around what I wanted to drink, or stop by and get it on my way somewhere else.

The number of people - we felt great at about 2,000 people BUT had another 700-1,000 been on the ship it would have been crowded.  It was good, but adding 30% to 50% more would have really felt cramped.

The crowd.  I don't know how to say this without just saying it.  It didn't feel as "Celebrity" like as before.  For example, one night a lady was so drunk she fell against the wall multiple times, had to go into a store and grab some pole in the middle of the store to lean on.  Multiple people that just didn't feel like they normally take celebrity.  Another cruiser and I (he goes on about 10 - 20 cruises a year) talked about it one night and we agreed that 80%-90% of the crowd was great, but 10% really felt like they got on the wrong boat.

Magic Carpet on 15/16.  Didn't dislike it, just felt like an extension of the pool.  You were too far up to feel the water and close to the pool and had their bands playing.  So it wasn't as peaceful as on 5.  

Concierge class is absolutely not worth it.  We booked because for whatever reason it was cheaper than normal veranda.  I would consider as a upcharge for a better room location, but I wouldn't do it for the actual concierge class. 

Room was floor 12.  Too close to pool.  Wasn't too loud, but I did hear it some - especially during the day on sea days.  I would definitely look for level 11 instead next time.

It looks like more negative than positive, but that really wasn't the case.  It is an amazing ship and I would love to sail her again (booked another cruise on the ship).  The lack of items hopefully gets better, I can pick a better room location, etc.  The food and service were both literally the best we have ever had.

Thanks for the review, we sail April 2.  It's funny you mentioned the type of people on the ship. I had some of the same thoughts on our last Edge cruise a few weeks ago. A few in Luminae in shorts at dinner, not the typical smart casual dress. Chic night was not that dressy at all. Not many people shopping in the high end stores on ship either. Then there was a lady that we saw every night walking the ship with her wine glass, drunk. However the food and service was great. I also had issues with getting a certain type of wine. The steakhouse had it but Luminae didn't. Once I told them go to the steakhouse for it they did. Life is just not the same since Covid.

Edited by lovrccl

18 minutes ago, JLS07 said:

This is very funny...I was just explaining to someone the difference between Carnival and Celebrity (they are big Carnival cruisers) and I said you *wouldn't* see this type of thing on Celebrity 🙂

18 minutes ago, JLS07 said:

I can't agree with you more. We took our first X cruise in Feb on the Apex and now have booked Beyond for Oct and looking to book either the Edge or Beyond for Dec. We couldn't get over how absolutely stunning the ship was.

19 minutes ago, JLS07 said:

The food from beginning to end was the best I have ever had on a cruise, by far. 

LOL, again, couldn't agree more. I gained 9lbs in 7 days 🙂

6 minutes ago, Peteymil said:

Going on the Apex soon. I have a dining question.  If you are dining in Tuscan for example, but see an entree that you want from Cosmopolitan, will they do that?

My understanding is yes..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Peteymil said:

Going on the Apex soon. I have a dining question.  If you are dining in Tuscan for example, but see an entree that you want from Cosmopolitan, will they do that?

Yes. Any of the MDR can serve any item in any other MDR. We would regularly get the Normandy salad, the Cyprus ceviche and the cosmo steak while sitting in Tuscan.  

don’t know about Blu and Lumanie. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dakotadisney said:

Thanks for the review.  We are considering the Norwegian Fjords itinerary on the Apex in 2023.  How is the dress code?  The ship looks beautiful but kind of fancy.  What is normally worn for dinner?  Thanks!

That is literally what we booked while in the ship. 

The dress code post covid has relaxed a lot. I wore slacks and a polo every night but formal. For formal I had a suit without tie. I felt absolutely fine dressed like that. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JLS07 said:

Ship - the good parts:

We were on the Apex at the end of February.  Didn't write a review, but if I did, it would have been exactly like yours.  You nailed it!

Two other aspects of the ship that I found disappointing:

1/  The seating in the lounges and public spaces (and on the IV) was very uncomfortable.  Didn't make you want to linger (maybe that's the point?). 

2/  Never really found a bar/lounge that felt like "ours", unlike Cellar Masters, Ensemble, or Passport.  They just seemed to lack the comfort and intimacy of the M and S class ships.

Thank you for your review. 

49 minutes ago, JLS07 said:

Yes. Any of the MDR can serve any item in any other MDR. We would regularly get the Normandy salad, the Cyprus ceviche and the cosmo steak while sitting in Tuscan.  

We were in Blu in February and were able to order apps and entrees from the Main dining venues.

We were on Apex 1/29 sailing and loved it too. I did notice the liquor availability issue too. Woodford Reserve was in some places not others, found the Magic Carpet to have worst availability. Sunset Bar was good, at least they had Macallan in the Club! 

We only had about 1300 onboard and it was wonderful. 

mac_tlc

1 hour ago, JLS07 said:

At Luminae, it is more difficult to get something off of the MDR menu due to the distance between them. The “classics” are available at Luminae. If you ask, they will try to make almost anything.

mac_tlc

Edited by mac_tlc
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, lovrccl said:

Then there was a lady that we saw every night walking the ship with her wine glass, drunk. 

There were two other instances:

1) There was a guy without a shirt and his massive beer belly hanging over his swimsuit shorts in the high end watch shop.  It was honestly disgusting.  

2) This guy and girl had tattoos - now I am not against tattoos.  I have seen some amazing tasteful ones that look like art.  This was not those.  This was random things thrown everywhere and they look like crap.  Like some drunk guy at the end of the night with a couple needles and a jar of paint.  Walking around with limited clothing showing off these "works of art".  🙄

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JLS07 said:

1) There was a guy without a shirt and his massive beer belly hanging over his swimsuit shorts in the high end watch shop.  It was honestly disgusting.  

2) This guy and girl had tattoos - now I am not against tattoos.  I have seen some amazing tasteful ones that look like art.  This was not those.  This was random things thrown everywhere and they look like crap.  Like some drunk guy at the end of the night with a couple needles and a jar of paint.  Walking around with limited clothing showing off these "works of art".  🙄

Our society at its best!!

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, atlgants said:

How did you like the itinerary? Did you save the daily planners? Did they still have a Formal night and semi-formal night? We sail April 2nd, also Concierge! 

Celebrity did away Formal and semi formal YEARS ago. Chic Night is the new version which did away with suit, jackets and ties for men. Of course you can still wear them but not required and not worn by the majority of men.  

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 9:34 PM, mac_tlc said:

We were on Apex 1/29 sailing and loved it too. I did notice the liquor availability issue too. Woodford Reserve was in some places not others, found the Magic Carpet to have worst availability. Sunset Bar was good, at least they had Macallan in the Club! 

We only had about 1300 onboard and it was wonderful. 

mac_tlc

Magic Carpet had Buffalo Trace.  So, I was "all good" there.  But yeah....some other brands of liquors they would send people to other bars on board.

On 3/22/2022 at 4:25 PM, JLS07 said:

But, did they wear long pants on chic night? 😉

• Haha 1

I wonder how the various cruise lines have been impacted by supply chain shortages... seems I have read that there are issues with supplies of some brands of alcohol around the country. That might explain some of this. I am not much of a drinker..so I have no personal experience with supplies of various brands. 

I was also on Apex 3/12 in Concierge class deck 12 but I stress you must watch where you select your cabin. Near pool or under buffet can be a disaster! 

Agreed ship was gorgeous! Food and service excellent!
But, many fellow cruisers did not realize it was Spring break in Florida… a totally different mix of cruisers a lot of children  and many cruisers who ignored a smart casual dress code.

I did see one man get turned away from dinner in shorts…he complained saying…at least they are clean…well he was turned away anyway!

Yes I saw a man belly hanging over swimsuit walking through ship totally oblivious to his attire…guess he doesn’t own a mirror!

Yes some cruisers with tats but at least the gstrings in the pool area were lacking and the speedos were basically non existent!

Have been back sailing since October on Royal, Celebrity and MSC and yes

2000 was the most people I’ve experienced since Covid…but ship was not overly crowded, rarely had to wait for an elevator and people seemed respectful of space. Getting on/off ship a breeze.

One thing no one mentioned the cruise director Giuseppe was fantastic so was his activities director Darren great duo! Kept everyone energized.

In short, Spring break is a totally different kind of cruising..l would recommend quieter months to cruise…but I think large numbers on ships are back…unfortunately!

• Like 1

On 3/21/2022 at 7:31 PM, JLS07 said:

That is literally what we booked while in the ship. 

The dress code post covid has relaxed a lot. I wore slacks and a polo every night but formal. For formal I had a suit without tie. I felt absolutely fine dressed like that. 

We were also on this cruise...TR to follow today.

But a note--this was an Eastern Caribbean itinerary (PR, St. Thomas, St. Kitts)

I was on this cruise as well, first time on Celebrity.  I'm already planning my next Celebrity cruise.  Awesome experience all around, other that the mid 50's man who was berating his wife/girlfriend/fling? in the buffet that made everyone around uncomfortable.  I had to speak up and tell him what everyone else was thinking, I mind my own business except when women are being treated like this.  I saw the man a few times during the cruise, but the women was not with him (a good thing)  

Ate at Eden the first night and it was probably the best dinning experience I have ever had.  Bravo!!

In San Juan we went to the Bacardi distillery for a tour and several drinks.  Good time.

In St Thomas we did a snorkel and beach stop at Honeymoon beach on Water Island, it was a 4 hour tour, but we were in port for 10 hours, so we took the ferry back to Water Island to spend more time at the beach.  Seemed like the crew for the excursion really were wound tight, not much fun from the crew.

In St Kitts we did a 6 hour snorkel and beach stop, the crew was awesome and fun and made sure everyone had fun.  St Kitts is beautiful and will require me to come back!!

The snorkeling in St Kitts and St Thomas was average at best, I know that Koki beach in St Thomas has excellent snorkeling, but that was not in the plans for us.

Overall it was a great time, other passengers (other than old a**hat) don't bother me, if you want to wonder around in a swim suite, great your on vacation, enjoy!!  Live and let live, and enjoy vacation!! 

23 hours ago, atlgants said:

How did you like the itinerary? Did you save the daily planners? Did they still have a Formal night and semi-formal night? We sail April 2nd, also Concierge! 

It was Eastern not Western.  I tried to edit but it was too late.

We did PR, St Thomas and St. Kitts.  

PR we just walked around had a mojito and grabbed some supplies we forgot.

St. Thomas - Megan's Bay

St. Kitts we got a driver for about 3 hours and drove our group around the island

There was a "chic" nice.  I had a suit without tie and my wife wore a dress.  Nothing too fancy, but a step up a little bit.

The daily planners are on the app.

1) Open the app

2) click the right button on the top (looks like a circle on top of a box)

3) click "select a different sailing"

4) Click "more details on ships we support"

5) click your ship 

6) Click the top sailing (that is the current sailing)

7)click daily planner

8 ) enjoy and plan - this is this week's plan.  Of course it will differ but it will be similar