Excursion questions

Hello all!  We're booked on the Coral Princess, Nov 8-17 (Sydney to Brisbane, then 7-day Queensland.)  Besides Sydney and Brisbane, our stops are Airlie Beach, Cairns, and Port Douglas. (Yes, I know it will likely be hot and humid and that this is all contingent on the covid gods cooperating.)

In terms of excursions, we're thinking:

Airlie Beach:  Great Barrier Reef snorkeling (the one that goes out to the ocean platform thing)  OR Whitehaven

Cairns:  Kuranda, Skyrail and Scenic railroad

Port  Douglas:  Great Barrier Reef snorkeling OR Daintree

I lean towards GBR in Airlie and Daintree in PD, but would love opinions.  I believe it's stinger season in November, so will we need a stinger suit at the reef or Whitehaven?  Is the GBR tour worth it for someone who won't snorkel?  The in-laws will definitely not get in the water but there's some sort of semi-submersible boat.  It's a long day, with long boat rides to and from the platform -- to me it seems worth it to actually see the GBR even from a boat, but I'd love other opinions.

Thank you!

I have done the day trip to the reef from Airlie Beach. It is excellent. This is one of the places where a non-swimmer can see the reef. The pontoon on the reef has a large underwater viewing room that looks directly out onto the side of the reef. Non-swimmers get a good view of coral and fish. The semi-submersible moves slowly past the reef giving a view through small windows. The views aren't as good as those from the under-water room on the pontoon. I feel this trip is worth it. Because of timing, you can only do this trip by booking through the ship's Shore Excursion Dept.

Cairns - Kuranda via the Skyrail and scenic train is an excellent trip. You can get off twice (I think it is twice) on the Skyrail trip to have a look at the rainforest. A guide will take you on a short walk. When I went, we had to book our seats on the train (already paid for) when we got to Kuranda. The end of the Skyrail is next door to the railway station. If you are able to book your rail seats, do this as soon as you get to Kuranda. The rail carriages have a passageway on one side with bench seating for probably four people - only two have window seats. As the train descends to Cairns, the windows are on the 'view side'. I think I am remembering correctly that there are two bench seats facing each other. The people on one will be travelling backwards. Maybe book the four seats closest to the window. 

If you weren't going on that trip from Airlie Beach I would make some reef recommendations for you at Port Douglas. Maybe take a trip into the Daintree area to see estuarine (saltwater) crocodiles. When you disembark at the marina in Port Douglas there will be several tour operators lined up offering trips. I recommend the Daintree rather than Mossman Gorge - both will be available. If you do want to go to the reef again, I suggest pre-booking with a company called "Reef Sprinter". Their office is in the small shopping mall at the marina. They do a trip to the Low Isles and also one to the outer reef. Because they have small groups in high-speed jet boats, you don't spend hours and hours getting to your destination.

If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

• Like 1

We called into Airlie Beach on QM2 in March 2017. We were doing Sydney to HK.  90% of the pax on the ship were Brits doing the Worldie. Many just got off the tenders and got back on, super hot and humid. We walked around the markets there for an hour, that was enough heat, thanks. Been to Airlie before, Whitehaven Beach is a worth a visit.

Cairns, Kuranda a must see with Sky Rail car etc. Also Atherton Tablelands. Call in the yacht club @ Yorkies Knob for a cool drink whilst awaiting tenders. 

Above all, enjoy.

Edited by NSWP

We are on the Queensland Cruise on the Coral Princess departing Nov 10 as well.  

We are doing the pontoon GBR trip in both Port Douglas and Airlie Beach. One We are doing with our kids and the other just wife and I so we can scuba dive. 

In Cairns we are doing fitzroy Island. 

We thought about doing one day to just explore but coming all this way we figured we would spend all 3 days at the reef. 

We will be spending 10 days pre cruise on the gold coast and 5 days post cruise at the sunshine coast. 

• Like 2

Thank you all for your replies. 

@Aus Traveller I am thrilled to hear that the GBR trip from Airlie Beach is a good choice, even for non-swimmers.  It sounds perfect.  And we'll match that with the Daintree tour from PD and the Kuranda/Sky/Rail trip in Cairns.  I do love a good plan.

@NSWP I have officially penciled in the Yacht Club.

@Mikamarii That sounds amazing and if we were divers I am sure we'd plan for something similar.  I hope we cross paths onboard, and if not, that you and your family have a wonderful time.

Thanks again (and I'm sure I'll have more questions between now and November, so thanks in advance for your patience.)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Coral should be docked right in downtown Cairns.

Yorkeys Knob and tendering should not be required.

Ah, so maybe we'll need to find another spot for a drink. 

Perhaps a weird question - the Coral is scheduled to be docked in Cairns until 9PM.  We're thinking of doing dinner on our balcony that night.  Our cabin is starboard.  What might the view be like?  We did this on our aft balcony in St. Thomas last month and it was a lovely view of the lights of the island at night.  

Edited by ElizaSTN
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, ElizaSTN said:

We're thinking of doing dinner on our balcony that night.  Our cabin is starboard.  What might the view be like? 

Hopefully you'll be docked at Trinity Wharf.

Unless there are operational reasons I would expect port side to the dock.

Your view would be overlooking yachts moored in the creek, then towards scrubland / mangroves ??

Not St. Thomas, but peaceful with some boat activity in the creek.

There are a number of places for a drink as you walk north of Trinity Wharf towards the Esplanade. 

41 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Hemingways Brewery is on the wharf at Cairns.  It was packed with people when I was recently in Cairns. 

They have a few outlets, my grandaughter the Vet in Townsville went to one in Townsvegas the other day, good food and drink.

2 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Coral should be docked right in downtown Cairns.

Yorkeys Knob and tendering should not be required.

Yacht Club at Yorkeys was a big attraction.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

But not if the ship is docked in Cairns. 🙂 I have to admit we have tendered into Yorkeys Knob several times, but have never gone into the Yacht Club.

I've been into the Yacht Club once - to use the loo.😁

Edited by lyndarra
  • Like 1