Escape Canceled again

AK Dreaming

2 minutes ago, theolivers777 said:

I am so sorry to hear this.  How did they alert you?  Letter, phone call?  Are they giving you options?  I am on the 4/2 sailing and hope this doesn't mean ours is canceled too.

Right there with you holding my breath for 4/2.

I told my husband if we get canceled, I'm immediately jumping on the website with my credit card to book whatever looks the best, and dealing with the aftermath later 🤣.

5 hours ago, theolivers777 said:

I am so sorry to hear this.  How did they alert you?  Letter, phone call?  Are they giving you options?  I am on the 4/2 sailing and hope this doesn't mean ours is canceled too.

Passengers were given the option to rebook on another cruise leaving this weekend and get a 100% FCC for a future cruise. Or a full refund plus a 50% FCC for a future cruise. The most generous that I have ever seen NCL.  

• Like 1

Got the email at 1:48 pm today. 
Disappointed for sure!

Rebooked on the Breakaway out of New Orleans - only cruise with a haven room available - and only one at that!

Long wait time on hold - about 1 1/2 hours - but worth the wait. It was a generous offer so we took full advantage!

Total 5 cruises cancelled - really needed this!

Plus a nice credit towards our next Prima cruise !

All in all not too shabby;)

5 hours ago, Maryscooking said:

Right there with you holding my breath for 4/2.

I told my husband if we get canceled, I'm immediately jumping on the website with my credit card to book whatever looks the best, and dealing with the aftermath later 🤣.

Come join the Jewel 3/29 Panama canal cruise, 12 days, price is very good (never been so cheap before).  Ship was 55% full a few days ago.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Middleager said:

Come join the Jewel 3/29 Panama canal cruise, 12 days, price is very good (never been so cheap before).  Ship was 55% full a few days ago.

Oh that would be so tempting if I didn't have a high schooler already a bit stressed that she is missing one day of school before her official spring break starts...

Still no email from NCL or TA. Booking on NCL still showing cruise is set to sail! Then I just got this from NCL, classic example of one hand not knowing what the other is doing!

Norwegian Cruise Line

Mar 23, 2022

Dear Valued Guests and Travel Partners,

We are delighted you will join us onboard Norwegian Escape very soon.

As we return to sail, we are doing everything we can to make your experience truly spectacular. To that end, we are requiring all guests to re-watch the pre-boarding safety video, which you first viewed during online check-in, before you set sail. This will ensure a smooth embarkation process at the pier. The video can be found here.

We appreciate your cooperation and we look forward to welcoming you aboard!

Katty Byrd,

Vice President, Guest Services

This is the article from Cruise Hive....

Cruise Canceled for Norwegian Escape Due to Repairs
Another cruise is canceled for Norwegian Escape as further repairs are needed after the ship ran aground March 14, but guests have options.

By
Melissa Mayntz
Affiliate Disclaimer

Modified Date: Mar 22, 2022

Photo Credit: JHVEPhoto / Shutterstock
Norwegian Cruise Line has provided a further update on Norwegian Escape after the vessel ran aground in the Dominican Republic last week. Due to the need for ongoing repairs, the cruise line has canceled another 7-day sailing, but guests aren’t necessarily going to miss their cruise this weekend.

Norwegian Escape Cruise Canceled
More guests have now been impacted due to Norwegian Escape running aground while departing Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic on March 14, 2022. The cruise line informed guests today that their March 26 departure from Port Canaveral has been canceled.

NCL said in a letter sent out on March 22, “We are very sorry to inform you that the repairs onboard Norwegian Escape will take longer than originally expected and as result, your voyage onboard Norwegian Escape March 26, 2022, has been canceled.”

The cruise line went on to say, “We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this may cause, as we understand now more than ever the desire to travel and reconnect with the places and people, we’ve missed most.”

Photo Credit: Joni Hanebutt / Shutterstock
The March 26 voyage was originally scheduled to be a 7-day Caribbean itinerary, and Puerto Plata was to be the first port of call on the voyage, following a day at sea. Other calls included St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands, Tortola in the U.K. Virgin Islands, and Norwegian Cruise Line’s private island in The Bahamas, Great Stirrup Cay. The itinerary was also to have included a total of two days at sea.

Compensation Options
Guests are being offered two options as compensation for their now-canceled voyage. A full refund is available, returned to the original form of payment, plus a future cruise credit (FCC) worth 50% of the cruise fare paid, not including taxes and port fees.

Read Also: Things to Know About the Norwegian Escape Cruise Ship

This will be the default option for all guests, and refunds will be processed within 15 business days. The new FCC will become available on April 4, 2022, and must be used by April 4, 2023. If guests used a prior FCC to book this Norwegian Escape cruise, that FCC will be returned to their Latitudes account.

Photo Credit: Leonard Zhukovsky / Shutterstock
While the full refund is the default option, there is another choice available. If impacted guests still want to set sail this weekend – the original cruise was to have departed Port Canaveral on Saturday, March 26 – they can switch their booking to another sailing this weekend and will also receive an FCC worth 100% of the value of the canceled cruise (minus port fees and taxes).

The new FCC will not be available until April 4, however, meaning it cannot be used on this weekend’s sailing, but must be used by April 4, 2023.

Only select sailings are available for this option, as follows:

March 26 – Norwegian Joy sailing from Miami, visiting Roatan, Honduras; Harvest Caye, Belize (a private Norwegian Cruise Line island); and Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico
March 27 – Norwegian Breakaway sailing from New Orleans, visiting Cozumel, Mexico; Roatan, Honduras; Harvest Caye, Belize; and Costa Maya, Mexico
March 27 – Norwegian Dawn sailing from Tampa, visiting Cozumel, Mexico; Roatan, Honduras; Harvest Caye, Belize; and Costa Maya, Mexico
March 27 – Norwegian Encore sailing from Miami, visiting Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic; St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands; Tortola, U.K. Virgin Islands; and Great Stirrup Cay, The Bahamas (a private Norwegian Cruise Line Island)
All the replacement sailings are 7-night voyages. Space is limited on these sailings, however, and while the best effort will be made to book passengers in similar cabin categories, matching categories may not be available.

If guests want to sail this weekend, they must contact Norwegian Cruise Line at 1-866-234-7350 by 9 p.m. Eastern Time on March 23, 2022, to indicate their choice, or else they will automatically receive the default full refund and 50% FCC option.

Guests choosing the alternate sailings will have their airfare rebooked by Norwegian Cruise Line if they purchased flights through the cruise line; otherwise, guests must contact their travel agent or airline to make appropriate flight arrangements.

Update on Norwegian Escape
While the cruise line has not provided an update on the extent of the damage to Norwegian Escape, the ship was evaluated after it was freed from the sandbar and remained docked in Puerto Plata as guests were returned home. Two tugboats helped free the large, Breakaway-plus class vessel, as well as naval ships and other local operators.

Norwegian Escape after Running Aground in Puerto Plata (Photo Credit: Melissa Mayntz)
High winds as the ship was originally departing Puerto Plata on March 14 are believed to have played a part in the incident, pushing the ship onto the sandbar.

What appears to be minor damage has been spotted on Norwegian Escape‘s hull, and the vessel has been inspected. The ship has since returned to Port Canaveral, but without guests aboard.

It is possible that further inspections will need to be made to ensure the vessel is safe and fully operational, and canceling the March 26 sailing will give the cruise line time to make that assessment.

Feel free to discuss this topic and all things cruise at our new boards. A place where readers can ask questions, help their fellow cruisers and general cruise discussions on cruise lines and ports.

CRUISE HIVE NEWSLETTER
Expert cruise tips and news! We'll send you weekly newsletters to your inbox with the latest cruise news and tips.

20 hours ago, AK Dreaming said:

First my March 19th now the 26 canceled.  I am not booking for a while until I'm sure.  The anxiety is to much!

yes I agree afterall they say things happen in three's

Good thing is the ship is getting fixed in PC and not towed to Freeport.  

Perhaps try another ship within NCL or look at RCI as they have a lot in FLA right now like Odyssey and Wonder.

Does anyone know, if you booked through a TA, do you still call the NCL number in the letter, or so you have to go through your TA?  Just making sure I do the right thing if 4/2 cruise is cancelled next week.

On 3/23/2022 at 7:03 AM, Maryscooking said:

Oh that would be so tempting if I didn't have a high schooler already a bit stressed that she is missing one day of school before her official spring break starts...

You have a kid who'd rather go to school than cruise!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nalrudaini said:

You have a kid who'd rather go to school than cruise!!

Don't think it so much kid wants to go to school vs getting behind on assignments and tests.  Especially if in high school.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2022 at 7:24 AM, dexddd said:

Don't think it so much kid wants to go to school vs getting behind on assignments and tests.  Especially if in high school.

You are exactly right. She goes to a STEM high school with an education philosophy of hands on, experiential, project based learning, and that means catching up on instruction and making up work is much tougher than you'd already think making up high school work would be.

7 hours ago, Maryscooking said:

You are exactly right. She goes to a STEM high school with an education philosophy of hands on, experiential, project based learning, and that means catching up on instruction and making up work is much tougher than you'd already think making up high school work would be.

Good for her. As a former school board member, I am glad that she and her parents take school seriously.