What to do for free at COCO Cay?

4 hours ago, AF-1 said:

If you walk around the entire island how long do you think it would take?  Thanks

Last week, it took us 3 hours 😇.

My beautiful wife wanted to stop and take pictures...when we got off the ship, at the pier, in front of the Coco Cay sign, on the bridge, by the beach, literally ON the beach, by the lifeguards, when we saw friends, when we saw crew members we knew, by the pool, on the bridge over the pool, by the chickens and roosters, by the hot air balloon,.........I stopped at every bar. 😇

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

First timer to coco cay here.  Which tends to be the quietest beach/ have the nicest views? E.g I’m looking for ocean views, not the ship, water park etc.

thanks

I like chill island, personally.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

Last week, it took us 3 hours 😇.

My beautiful wife wanted to stop and take pictures...when we got off the ship, at the pier, in front of the Coco Cay sign, on the bridge, by the beach, literally ON the beach, by the lifeguards, when we saw friends, when we saw crew members we knew, by the pool, on the bridge over the pool, by the chickens and roosters, by the hot air balloon,.........I stopped at every bar. 😇

thanks for your feedback.  You had a nice beach day

4 hours ago, Donsyb said:

First timer to coco cay here.  Which tends to be the quietest beach/ have the nicest views? E.g I’m looking for ocean views, not the ship, water park etc.

thanks

South Beach - its the one farthest away so fewer people are there.  It was almost completely empty at the far end.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, layteacher said:

Never been to Coco Cay. What is there to do for free? Do not want to do an excursion on this day. 

Thanks in advance. 

Tons of free things.   3 snack shacks and a big grill hut.  Several beaches, 2 with games (basketball, volleyball, cornhole, other games).  Oasis Lagoon - huge pool.  The only things that really cost are cabanas, water park, balloon ride, and alcohol (if you dont have a package).  Also Jacks restaurant - i think wings cost.

20220321_111717.jpg

20220321_111748.jpg

20220321_110523.jpg

20220321_110354.jpg

20220321_110316.jpg

20220321_111434.jpg

20220321_113041.jpg

20220321_113242.jpg

20220321_115307.jpg

20220321_122445.jpg

20220321_123856.jpg

20220321_130612.jpg

20220321_123749.jpg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, pinkrosesdeb said:

Does anyone have recent prices for coco cay club?  Are these the same as over the water bungalows?  It seems like we haven’t cruised in such a long time and are having withdrawals 😀

Club is currently $199/pp for my April 17 Oasis cruise.  This is for entry and the up-scaled food included with it.  They also have cabanas (both on land and over water), but they're expensive ($1199 to $1899).  Perhaps not so bad if you fill it to capacity (8 people) and split the cost.

A few things we discovered:

* Loungers and umbrellas already set-up...ready to use. Years ago, loungers were stacked and "locals" helped you for tips.

* If you have drink vouchers...you can use them.

* There are bartenders and lifeguards who actually stay on the island for 4-6 months.

* Try not to wear a red polo shirt and black shorts combo...other passengers may mistake you for one of the crew members. :classic_biggrin:

23 hours ago, AF-1 said:

If you walk around the entire island how long do you think it would take?  Thanks

It took me about 45 minutes to an hour.  I stopped along the way to take pictures, but not drinks/food.  You cant currently walk around the whole island - the area past South Beach is under construction for expansion and not walkable. You can take the tram through that area though.  On the tram you will also see their nursery where they grow their plants and flowers in pots.

Edited by Stealthdog
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stealthdog said:

It took me about 45 minutes to an hour.  I stopped along the way to take pictures, but not drinks/food.  You cant currently walk around the whole island - the area past South Beach is under construction for expansion and not walkable. You can take the tram through that area though.  On the tram you will also see their nursery where they grow their plants and flowers in pots.

Thanks for the feedback.  Cheers

22 hours ago, sharon&family said:

I see on the map there is an area with a bunch of trees on the right.  Is that  place a person could walk through and maybe see some wildlife?  Are there any Iguanas?

They used to have a nature walk to see wildlife, but I think it was removed for the upgrades.

But anywhere there is plant life, you may see some wildlife.

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Thanks for the feedback.  Cheers

AF-1...just wanted to let you know...

We took Southwest Airlines from Las Vegas to Houston Hobby last October...cruising out of Galveston.

My wife excitedly grabbed and shook me and asked "Guess who's sitting in the seat in front of you?"

Playing along, I said "Who?".  She said "Pete Rose!".  I almost fell off my seat.  No, I didn't get a picture...no I didn't get an autograph...but it was one heck of a start for our cruise. (Loved watching Joe Morgan and Johnny Bench)

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 8:28 AM, AF-1 said:

Looking at the map, the right side of the island (with the trees) was closed in Feb 2020. If it's still closed, and you take a leisurely stroll, maybe it'll take btw 90 minutes to 2 hours (just my guess, as I haven't walked it). I was in CocoCay in Feb 2020 just a few weeks before Covid shut all cruises down.

On 3/24/2022 at 10:03 AM, sharon&family said:

I see on the map there is an area with a bunch of trees on the right.  Is that  place a person could walk through and maybe see some wildlife?  Are there any Iguanas?

You'll probably see iguanas walking around the dining areas - or most anywhere else except near the shore.

Nope, I'm not exaggerating.

My lunch companion two cruises back.

IMG_0654.jpeg

• Like 1

We always sit towards the "back" of the Oasis pool in a more shaded area.  I have had melanoma so need to try to stay out of the sun as much as possible.  It is a short walk to a snack shack and the pool bar.  Make sure to order their "secret" burgers.

I have been to Coco Cay many times since it was updated and have never spend a penny.

15 minutes ago, John Reid said:

You'll probably see iguanas walking around the dining areas - or most anywhere else except near the shore.

Nope, I'm not exaggerating.

My lunch companion two cruises back.

IMG_0654.jpeg

When I was there earlier this month I did not see any iguanas but I made the mistake of bringing a funnel cake to my lounger. I was attacked by seagulls once I stopped eating.  Thank god for some kind man that shooed them off.  I felt like I was in "The Birds"

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 8:28 AM, AF-1 said:

If you actually walk along the shore, i.e. in the sand, I bet it would take more than an hour to cover the areas you are allowed in.  It's plenty big for a day trip.  Been there ten times and am still finding new things to do - so much so that I probably wouldn't take a RCI trip unless it stopped at CocoCay.  For a little while they were doing cruises that went to CocoCay twice and those were the best, and would be even better if they had an official excursion over to Atlantis instead of the downmarket stuff on Nassau proper.

5 hours ago, garywatson said:

If you actually walk along the shore, i.e. in the sand, I bet it would take more than an hour to cover the areas you are allowed in.

You walked past the closed off area by the employee area of South Beach?